PDA

View Full Version : Changing Bushing on Frunk Hood on 2010 RT

SteveandBelinda
08-27-2016, 11:43 AM
I have had a few times where closing the hood on the frunk seemed to stick half way shut/open, and had to yank on it to get it open. Actually once was afraid it wouldn't open again. I have sprayed Dry Lube w/PTFE and has been ok, but taking 2 big trips of close to a week each ride, here in about 10 day, and don't want to get somewhere away from home and not be able to either close it fully or open it.
I checked the latch pin (which is actually refered to as a bushing). It is part #26a or #26b, depending on date of manufacture. I call CheapCycleParts.com the other day, gave him my VIN, and he called BRP, and was told mine was made 2/15/10, so we knew which part it was that I had to purchase, so I ordered the part from local dealer, and just picked it up. Does not look like mine , because mine which is still presently on the bike is tapered in the middle. The one I picked up is same diameter all the way across. Asked him to check part #, and said that was the right one.
If someone else has a 2010 RT SE5, can you check yours and let me know what your looks like, and if there was an update or modification to this part?
The finish on mine is kind of oxidized, and thought that the finish may be causing drag when closing. Also, is original one tapered in the middle to keep hood centered when closing the hood? Not sure whether to change now or not. I've attatched pictures of old and new.136586136587136586136587

OOps. Loaded twice

Bob Denman
08-27-2016, 11:50 AM
I would be guessing, but I think that the reduced diameter in the center of your OEM pin, was found to provide no benefit. A pin that is full-diameter across it's full length should function in exactly the same manner.

pitzerwm
08-27-2016, 12:08 PM
From what you are saying, I doubt if its the latch, I'd look where it attaches to the tupperware.

BTW, my 14 has the notch.

SteveandBelinda
08-27-2016, 01:45 PM
that , bushing as they call it, is what attaches to the hood (Tupperware. It's the pin that that locks the hood into the latch. Or are you referring to the hinge at the front of the hood (assuming that's why the picture)

pitzerwm
08-27-2016, 01:51 PM
that , bushing as they call it, is what attaches to the hood (Tupperware. It's the pin that that locks the hood into the latch. Or are you referring to the hinge at the front of the hood (assuming that's why the picture)

I'm talking the hinge "area". Sounded as if when you were opening or closing that it caught "half way" which to me would mean that there is something interfering with the movement of the hinge.

If you are just talking about when it is latching/unlatching, then that "pin" and or latch would need adjusting.

Bob Denman
08-27-2016, 02:00 PM

Before replacing these: why not pull them, and give them a complete cleaning with some steel wool, and oil? :dontknow:
While you've got it out: you can test-fit the new piece, and check it for fit and function.
At that point, you might find that your old bushing will make for a perfectly good spare... :thumbup:
(You always run the best parts that you have on the bike, and save the good used pieces as spares.)