PDA

View Full Version : Texting & driving PSA

Cavman
08-27-2016, 10:32 AM
http://m.wimp.com/incredibly-powerful-texting-and-driving-psa/

BoilerAnimal
08-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Last week, my wife and I were coming back from taking her brother to the VA in Iowa City, and the car ahead of us ran off of the road. We were in a construction zone with a 45 MPH speed limit, which the driver was observing. The problem was that he appeared to be on his cell phone while driving and he swerved to the right clipping some road markers with the side of his car. That seemed to startle him and he jerked the wheel causing him to slide in the grass on the embankment and sideswiped a metal sign post, destroying it and ripping the passenger's mirror off, badly scratching the side of the car and tearing most of the plastic off of the rear bumper. We stopped to see if he was alright and as he opened his door, his cell phone,which was plugged in to charge, was in his hand. He finally realized it was in his hand and threw it back into the car as the reality of the situation sank in.

We asked him if he was OK and he assured us that he was fine but lamented over and over that he was driving a rental car to go to Western Illinois University to get ready for the start of school. He was not hurt but got a very expensive life lesson, especially if the police found out that he was on his cell phone in a construction zone.

Last night our neighbor's grandson was killed when his vehicle ran off the road and hit a tree. We don't know yet if he was on his phone at the time. Our neighbor is taking it very hard.

In Illinois if you use a cell phone, it has to be "hands free" and use is not allowed in construction zones. Unfortunately, some have to learn the hard way and sometimes someone pays with their life. The really sad thing is a person who is affected may be totally innocent and been in the right place at the wrong time.

Sam Mac
08-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Yep, HANG UP AND DRIVE!

Bob Denman
08-27-2016, 11:45 AM
:shocked: The young Lady told a very moving and poignant story about a tragedy. nojoke I hope that it got through to those kids...

Cavman
08-27-2016, 12:05 PM
I have a rule. NO cell phone usage on the Spyder! I'll check the phone later to see if someone tried to contact me?
I do have a setup with SENA and blue toof for a CB or 2 meter ham radio. But those are 'set it and forget it' devices. I have yet to use either.

Bob Denman
08-27-2016, 01:33 PM
What did people do before answering machines, caller-ID, and cellphones?
They would call back; if nobody answered! :thumbup:

BoilerAnimal
08-27-2016, 01:36 PM
Nothing but an electronic leash!

Sam Mac
08-27-2016, 05:27 PM
I know I'm archaic, but I don't even own a cell phone. If you need to talk to me call the house "land line" leave a message and I'll call you back. If I'm on the road I don't want to talk to anyone. Deal with it.

Bob Denman
08-27-2016, 06:08 PM
I have one... :opps:
But it's left in my motorcycle gear, and is only used to check-in, when I'm out riding by myself.
It's never turned on, unless I'm actually using it.

(51 years as a Type I diabetic: the Missus thinks that it's a good idea for me to keep in touch a little bit...)

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-27-2016, 10:11 PM
I wish police would report after the investigation is completed if in fact a driver involved in an accident was using a phone when the accident happened.

Chupaca
08-27-2016, 11:04 PM
On the spyder the Scala G9 answers the phone and when in the car it answers the phone. But in any case I never touch the phone while driving either one....But you see them everywhere.....:banghead::banghead:

Ron2andia
08-28-2016, 07:37 AM
In my state there is no fault accident but I think that it should be declared at fault if they were on the phone! I have made the error myself.. No accident or anything but def ran a light... Woke me up... Thank God it wasn't worse..

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-29-2016, 07:29 AM
everyone has a reason why they text & drive but i have yet to hear a good reason. i personally feel that it should
be treated criminally & if in a accident then insurance should take over when the texter has nothing left.

BoilerAnimal
08-29-2016, 07:38 AM
An update to my earlier post. Our neighbor's grandson was driving a semi hauling rock. It appears that he may have had a medical occurrence that caused the crash. He was NOT texting at the time of his crash. Little relief to his family, however.