PDA

View Full Version : 2014 STS-SE5 and the RT-622 trailer locksets

Bill and Cretia
08-25-2016, 02:02 PM
I have a 2014 STS-SE5 and just purchased a 2010 RT-622 trailer.
*******What is the secret to keying the two the same?
A local locksmith told me that if my Spyder key would fit in the trailer tumbler that he could key them the same. That, of course, did not work.
I ordered a new tumbler that came with two keys.
My Spyder key does not fit into that tumbler either.
The factory is of no assistance.

hennyking
08-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Dam that sucks

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

al0vely
08-25-2016, 02:06 PM
When purchased new BRP furnishes a new lockset for use in the trailer.

Not sure how you get a new one keyed the same.

Copperman
08-25-2016, 06:34 PM
I have a 2014 STS-SE5 and just purchased a 2010 RT-622 trailer.
*******What is the secret to keying the two the same?
A local locksmith told me that if my Spyder key would fit in the trailer tumbler that he could key them the same. That, of course, did not work.
I ordered a new tumbler that came with two keys.
My Spyder key does not fit into that tumbler either.
The factory is of no assistance.

If you bought your bike new, it should have come with a tumbler, keyed to your bike, for the 622 trailer. If you bought it used, maybe you can track down the previous owner and see if they still have it.

nhoj
08-25-2016, 06:57 PM
If you bought your bike new, it should have come with a tumbler, keyed to your bike,.....

I believe only the RT's come with the "complementary spare trailer barrel lock". The OP has an STS.

Brentc
08-25-2016, 07:01 PM
Did they possibly sell you a tumbler for a freedom trailer instead of a 622?

Bfromla
08-25-2016, 07:40 PM
I believe only the RT's come with the "complementary spare trailer barrel lock". The OP has an STS.
:thumbup: Correct BRP :lecturef_smilie: Screwed up there:dontknow: You can find a good lock smith that can re key the lock to match your ST. I did was lil tricky, but was able to do. Until it was done i just kept the trailer keys in the frunk:p On a spare ring with other keys I need handy but not on my everyday use. & from info ive learned here , the freedom trailer does not offer ability to change locks:lecturef_smilie::p one more reason im happy with the 622(THANKS JOE:firstplace:)

SpyderAnn01
08-25-2016, 09:25 PM
When I bought my first Spyder it didn't have the extra barrel so when I bought my trailer in 2010 I had the Spyder locks changed so I would have one key. Then the barrel pulled out of the trailer (that was a problem on the 2010s) so instead of replacing the barrels again on the Spyder I just had a new one put on the trailer. The key for it has a red border so I can tell which are my trailer keys and which are my Spyder keys. Since I don't pull the trailer all the time I don't find it to be a big deal to have 2 different keys. I have a key ring that the trailer key is on and it also has a key holder for the Spyder key and I keep the key for my hitch lock and a spare for Joe's motorcycle on it. This is the key ring that I use when on the road.