PDA

View Full Version : Windshields and yardsticks

ptoemmes
03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Got my 2009 Full Moon SM5 - finally - yesterday. Among other things got the 1" BRP riser.

I am 6' 0" with a 33" inseam and 34" sleeve length so the BRP 1" riser works just fine for me.

Need some leg relief, but that's available (various) and/or coming (ISCI).
Want a larger - taller - windshield so comment on the following please.
Are all windscreen heights measured from the V in the Spyder or from the ^ (inverted V) of the windshied?

How does the rake of various aftermarket windshields - F1 EVO III non slider - in particular - compare to the stock BRP windshield?

With a yardstick I determined that if the rake of the F1 was the same as stock that 30" would be in my line of sight - too vertical. However if the rake were more horizontal - closer to the top of the gauge pod - then 30" would be perfect. I measured from the V on the Spyder and assume that 30" F1 was measuired from here too - and not the F1's ^. I know there's a lot of variance between the stock windshield rake and close to the gauge pod...

I want to get the height right the first time.

Thanks,

Pete

Jimmy Neutron
03-27-2009, 03:26 PM
All I can say is I just installed the EVO 30 inch . Wow. I am 6 ft 3 and dealer told me thats what 2 get. It looks like its as tall as a building. I got it to keep wind off and it should do that but i do not like. I will be having it cut real soon. Wow That is one problem living in sticks like me. I never get to see this stuff first hand then I order it and wow.. I think 30 is way to big.. Try it first..

Don in E Texas
03-27-2009, 03:40 PM
My new windshield is from Cal Sci --- the XL model (their tallest). Measures 25.5" from the bottom of the "V" on the Spyder to the top of the windshield. - -also states +14" === I'm guessing that means 14" taller than the factory unit. Windshield fits snug against the area that the factory unit attaches to and uses the same screws. I'm about 6'2" and the Cal Sci is too short for me by a couple of inches :((I'm spoiled; had a Honda Goldwing). I don't know about installing a windshield in a more vertical position thus gaining some height - would impact airflow/pressure on the windshield, I'm sure. If it can be installed more vertical, I'd be for it!:thumbup:.

Hope this helps

don

bjt
03-27-2009, 04:37 PM
I think those EVO III windshields are raked back farther than what the BRP stock shield is. I think his plan was to get the shield back closer to the rider to help with buffeting issues and not to have a extra huge windshield to give good wind protection.

NancysToy
03-27-2009, 04:50 PM
If you are considering the CHAD, it is different. Since it does sit directly on the console, it has a much smaller notch, and hangs lower. It would be nice if all manufacturers measured from the lowest bolt hole, or something. The CHAD is also raked more than the stock shield when fully back, but does not get too near your head since it sits a couple of inches higher than the cowl, pushing it forward a bit. It is adjustable both up and down, and for tilt. So far, we are extremely pleased with this one. hard to please a 5'2" rider and a 6'0" rider with the same windshield.
-Scotty

Capt John
03-27-2009, 06:16 PM
I just installed a slider Tuesday afternoon. Did not get enough time riding to get a good opinion. The weather has been bad all week. I would like to get out on the interstate and open it up a little to see how it's going to do.