PDA

View Full Version : LED accent lights

JohnCfl1
08-24-2016, 12:08 PM
I'm a novice to riding and all things Spyder (1 month). But so far it's been the best thing I have done for myself other than marrying my wife. I am having a blast! I have a new 2015 F3 I wish to light up with LED accent lights. I'm thinking about using the XKChrome. I sent the company an e mail and was told their Motorcycle Professional LED kit should suffice. Will this be enough to cover the Spyder or should I order extra strips and pods? Is there any reason I should go with a different brand LED kit? The installer I contacted has placed lights on over 800 motorcycles, but only a few spyders. The installation he says will take at least one long day.He uses Custom Dynamic light kits, so that's where his experience is. Can anyone recommend an installer in the Tampa Bay area? Any comments or suggestions on these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
John

Bob Denman
08-24-2016, 12:10 PM
:welcome:
Everyone has their Favorite choice in vendors... Mine is TricLEDs! :thumbup:
Whichever lights you choose: we'll need to see pictures of the glorious results! :D

murphybrown
08-24-2016, 12:14 PM
TricLED.com iMHO are the absolute best for product and customer service. They are a site sponsor. :yes:

And welcome, welcome, welcome to the Spyder "hood"....you are in the best place for all things Spyder..:thumbup:

JohnCfl1
08-24-2016, 02:34 PM
Thank you Bob and murphybrown. I will take your recommendations. I just got off the phone with TricLED. They are going to be away until mid September but I will take my Spyder over there when they get back. That cures my installation concerns. It's about a four hour ride to their shop near Ft. Lauderdale and my mother and brother live in the area so it will work out fine. Now the fun part starts where I get to browse their site and select what I want. Thank you again.
John

Ron2andia
08-24-2016, 02:35 PM
:congrats::welcome:

Bob Denman
08-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Hi John,
It sounds as if you're making a real good choice!! :thumbup:

Buckeye Bleau
08-24-2016, 03:27 PM
I also voter TriCLED, good people.
Another good source for Tricled lighting is Value Accesories, another site sponsor, Teresa knows Spyders well and cand get them for you.
She got me my LEDs and the skid plate with LEDs, it is incredible for being seen. :trike::dg1:

Joe

JohnCfl1
08-24-2016, 08:53 PM
:congrats::welcome:
I'm 61 and have never posted anything on a blog before today so I'm not sure how this works. I hope I did it right. Thanks.
John

Buckeye Bleau
08-24-2016, 09:11 PM
I'm 61 and have never posted anything on a blog before today so I'm not sure how this works. I hope I did it right. Thanks.
John

Congatulations on breaking the barrier, now we expect you to share your experiences with us. :clap:

Joe

JohnCfl1
08-24-2016, 09:27 PM
I also voter TriCLED, good people.
Another good source for Tricled lighting is Value Accesories, another site sponsor, Teresa knows Spyders well and cand get them for you.
She got me my LEDs and the skip late with LEDs, it is incredible for being seen. :trike::dg1:

Joe

I looked at her site, which brought the audio option to mind. More importantly, thank you for serving. I'm from the same era, got a draft card number and a student deferment. Left the heavy lifting to you, and won't forget. As a newbie can I ask you something else...When riding with my wife we will probably take only short rides together because of a limitation. So if we go to a movie, show dinner, church, etc and just for fun and show want to leave the Spyder lighted, should I have a concern about a battery drain problem if I'm all pretty much all LED? And if so can I overcome this with a UPS battery backup like we use with our computers and place it in the front trunk? I thought about this and connecting to the 12V outlet via an 8 amp trickle charger connected to the 120V AC current from the UPS. Does this make sense? Thanks for your response and help.
John

MisterP
08-25-2016, 06:21 AM
A UPS is not necessary and will be a lot of dead weight to carry around. You would have to add an incredible number of LEDs to cause a significant battery drain.

drhunt204
08-25-2016, 07:11 AM
Congratulations on your new spyder! Now the fun starts!
:yes::thumbup::clap:

5-0 spyder
08-25-2016, 01:26 PM
I bought some led strips to add to my RT-S when I had it in the shop for the 600 mile check. The dealer quoted me $394.00 to install the strips. I looked on Ebay for a cheaper, easier addition. I found a 12 volt system with 4-6 inch led pods, a cigarette lighter adapter, and a remote control. I mounted 2 lights at the bottom of my trunk lid for extra lighting in the back and I mounted 2 lights along the side of the trunk to be seen from the side. The remote has different functions and colors. I bought a second set to mount in the front but haven't decided where yet. Each set was about $11.00 each. That's a big difference between the dealer price and my current hookup. I haven't tried to add the direct wire strips myself because I'm afraid to screw things up.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-25-2016, 09:06 PM
I bought some led strips to add to my RT-S when I had it in the shop for the 600 mile check. The dealer quoted me $394.00 to install the strips. I looked on Ebay for a cheaper, easier addition. I found a 12 volt system with 4-6 inch led pods, a cigarette lighter adapter, and a remote control. I mounted 2 lights at the bottom of my trunk lid for extra lighting in the back and I mounted 2 lights along the side of the trunk to be seen from the side. The remote has different functions and colors. I bought a second set to mount in the front but haven't decided where yet. Each set was about $11.00 each. That's a big difference between the dealer price and my current hookup. I haven't tried to add the direct wire strips myself because I'm afraid to screw things up.
Wiring 101 .... + = power in.....- = power out ( so to speak )..... I would suggest adding a separate fuse block for all your additional lights just to keep them out of the BRP electrical system...... I bought mine from BANGGOOD for $8.00 .....good luck.......Mike :thumbup:

Deanna777
08-26-2016, 08:50 PM
An other vote for Tric-Led!

I have bought several items from them, great customer service, excellent products. I have a 2014 RTS-SE6.
Deanna

BigGuy66
08-26-2016, 11:38 PM
Wiring 101 .... + = power in.....- = power out ( so to speak )..... I would suggest adding a separate fuse block for all your additional lights just to keep them out of the BRP electrical system...... I bought mine from BANGGOOD for $8.00 .....good luck.......Mike :thumbup:

Is there a write up with pics about how to install the fuse block? I looked on BANGGOOD and saw several kinds of fuse boxes - which one? I can follow directions real well but not so good at improvising.

Ryde, eat, sleep... Repeat

JohnCfl1
08-27-2016, 12:38 AM
Thanks, Deanna, I contacted them again tonight and I just received e mail from Reggy with TricLED about two hours ago. Here is it's content:

HiJohn how's it going. We actually are leaving tomorrow morning and will beback on sept 15. We can catch up with you then. Thank you for yourpatience.
Best regards,
Reggy

They told me previously they will at a show in upstate New York.

Deanna, it was very kind of you to respond. I an a complete novice as to riding, and also as to web posting. So I may have not got this right.

My concern is that I am firing before aiming. I added a Blue Ridge windscreen, Spyder factory foglights, Spyder Signature light, side front fender LED, Rear fender side red LED, Garmin 590 GPS (you don't have to tell me about that), Can Am passenger back rest, and some USB ports in back and a 12V in the trunk. Perhaps I should just take a breath...Oh, and how can I forget, I have a Two Brothers Racing aluminum S1R exhaust sitting next me to me right now. I made arrangements with Bonehead Customizing in Pennsylvania to black it out for $65.00. But I decided yesterday I was going to return it and now today I think I may just want to have it installed as is. I can sell it if too loud. I also have a P1-XK power tip silencer to put in. I bought a Nolan helmet from Germany because I thought it saved money, bought a Nolan B5L headset not yet available in US (has a rear light controlled by accelerometer) but that broke so I sent it back to Italy and Nolan to see what they say.
I guess I need to slow down. So...for medical reasons my wife and I can't travel as we used to and this is our escape but I think I need to slow down a bit...Any advice on Spyder upgrades appreciated. Thank you for responding.
John

who said they are leaving tomorrow morning. They had previously told me it was for a show in upstate New York
An other vote for Tric-Led!

I have bought several items from them, great customer service, excellent products. I have a 2014 RTS-SE6.
Deanna

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Is there a write up with pics about how to install the fuse block? I looked on BANGGOOD and saw several kinds of fuse boxes - which one? I can follow directions real well but not so good at improvising.

Ryde, eat, sleep... Repeat.....The ones from Banggood are simple ( and cheap ) ( but work like the expensive ones ).. You need to first wire all the leads on one side together and that wire goes to the Battery ....this is POWER IN ...... for LED's I went on E-bay and got 2 amp fuses ( 1 amp would probably work also ) then each individual line ( TAB ) is your power source OUT to whatever you need elec. power for. Don't forget you must GROUND ( Neg. or - ) each individual DEVICE .....either separately or one common ground...... If this all sounds strange .... Libraries have books on BASIC Elec. wiring ...or go to Home Depot , Lowe's etc.... It's all power in ...power out whether it's 12 volts or 120 or 240 etc. .......PS put your on / off switches in the + line .....just cut the wire and splice it in the middle .......:thumbup:

Deanna777
08-27-2016, 08:24 PM
Thanks, Deanna, I contacted them again tonight and I just received e mail from Reggy with TricLED about two hours ago. Here is it's content:

HiJohn how's it going. We actually are leaving tomorrow morning and will beback on sept 15. We can catch up with you then. Thank you for yourpatience.
Best regards,
Reggy

They told me previously they will at a show in upstate New York.

Deanna, it was very kind of you to respond. I an a complete novice as to riding, and also as to web posting. So I may have not got this right.

My concern is that I am firing before aiming. I added a Blue Ridge windscreen, Spyder factory foglights, Spyder Signature light, side front fender LED, Rear fender side red LED, Garmin 590 GPS (you don't have to tell me about that), Can Am passenger back rest, and some USB ports in back and a 12V in the trunk. Perhaps I should just take a breath...Oh, and how can I forget, I have a Two Brothers Racing aluminum S1R exhaust sitting next me to me right now. I made arrangements with Bonehead Customizing in Pennsylvania to black it out for $65.00. But I decided yesterday I was going to return it and now today I think I may just want to have it installed as is. I can sell it if too loud. I also have a P1-XK power tip silencer to put in. I bought a Nolan helmet from Germany because I thought it saved money, bought a Nolan B5L headset not yet available in US (has a rear light controlled by accelerometer) but that broke so I sent it back to Italy and Nolan to see what they say.
I guess I need to slow down. So...for medical reasons my wife and I can't travel as we used to and this is our escape but I think I need to slow down a bit...Any advice on Spyder upgrades appreciated. Thank you for responding.
John

who said they are leaving tomorrow morning. They had previously told me it was for a show in upstate New YorkJohn, You are welcome! Reggie/Cindy and co-workers great to work with. Hope to see pictures of your farkles that you have on your spyder.

It is great to have excellent vendors/sponsors on this site to work with, and to help us out with any spyder accessory.
Deanna

BigGuy66
08-27-2016, 09:16 PM
.....The ones from Banggood are simple ( and cheap ) ( but work like the expensive ones ).. You need to first wire all the leads on one side together and that wire goes to the Battery ....this is POWER IN ...... for LED's I went on E-bay and got 2 amp fuses ( 1 amp would probably work also ) then each individual line ( TAB ) is your power source OUT to whatever you need elec. power for. Don't forget you must GROUND ( Neg. or - ) each individual DEVICE .....either separately or one common ground...... If this all sounds strange .... Libraries have books on BASIC Elec. wiring ...or go to Home Depot , Lowe's etc.... It's all power in ...power out whether it's 12 volts or 120 or 240 etc. .......PS put your on / off switches in the + line .....just cut the wire and splice it in the middle .......:thumbup:

Thanks - this does make sense to me and I am going to work on this. I appreciate the detail.
Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep... Repeat