PDA

View Full Version : WTF?

Dan McNally
08-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Man, what a way to start the day - I have a new set of front wheels - was going to put them on my RT this morning. Mama left for work and I decided to move the RT over to her side of the garage where I would have room to work. I backed out, and started to pull in to the other side of the garage - I wasn't going very fast - but, suddenly, I stopped like I'd hit a brick wall. Actually, it was a concrete wall. The asphalt driveway had settled, just enough so that my bump skid hit the concrete floor of the garage - and "CRACK"

This is not a good way to start the day! :banghead: In fact, it :cus: :cus: :cus: nojoke

tjmonty32
08-24-2016, 10:10 AM
Man, sorry to hear that. :opps:

HayRog
08-24-2016, 10:14 AM
OUCH !! That really sucks - sorry.

jerpinoy
08-24-2016, 10:23 AM
Sorry ouchhhh

Dan McNally
08-24-2016, 10:25 AM
Now, I need to decide whether to eat it, or call the insurance company (GEICO) and put in a claim - I don't know what this would do to my rates - Bob D., do you have an opinion on whether to claim or not claim with insurance?

Bob Denman
08-24-2016, 10:38 AM
:shocked: I'm sorry to hear that you were bit by the low ground-clearance... :banghead:
What is your deductible, and how much is the repair bill? :dontknow:

I'm not familiar with West Virginia's DMV and Insurance laws, so it would be best to give your Agent a quick call, and ask what ramifications might come with a claim.
Good Luck!

nightshift357
08-24-2016, 11:08 AM
Dammmm!!!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Tango
08-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Now that sucks. :cus: Tom :spyder:

PrairieSpyder
08-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Dang! :sour: I hate it when that happens!

Bob Denman
08-24-2016, 11:47 AM
Tough to know exactly what parts are needed, but based on the photos, the one item is more than $300, and depending upon how it ripped out any fasteners, it will go a bunch higher than that.

Am I incorrect in believing the bumpskid only being anchored to the frunk assembly had to distribute the impact loads into the plastic? Shame the bump skid is not braced against the frame in some way. Then any impact would be into something solid.

But it is... :thumbup:

...unless you decide to NOT drill the two holes to complete the mounting of it! nojoke

Dan McNally
08-24-2016, 12:33 PM
:shocked: I'm sorry to hear that you were bit by the low ground-clearance... :banghead:

I'm not familiar with West Virginia's DMV and Insurance laws, so it would be best to give your Agent a quick call, and ask what ramifications might come with a claim.
Good Luck!

Thanks, Bob.

My deductible is $250 - I haven't taken it to the dealer's yet, but I gat a "WAG" (a 'wild-assed guess") from someone who is familiar with this sort of thing of around $500 - without having pulled it apart to see what damage might be hidden.

I guess I'll call the GEICO and ask what a claim would do to my rates. Since it is paid for, at least I don't have a title holder making demands.

This falls under the heading "How to really screw up your day!" :banghead:

Bob Denman
08-24-2016, 12:55 PM
Don't let it screw up your whole day... :D

After all: nobody got hurt!
It's just something mechanical, that can be easily fixed. nojoke
And it DID show you where the driveway had settled. That might have saved you from something even more expensive! :clap:

Ron2andia
08-24-2016, 01:29 PM
Sorry to hear that happened... Hope you get it squared away soon...

ARtraveler
08-24-2016, 02:15 PM
Life can be cruel sometimes. Let us know what you decide. Sounds like money is going to be paid out regardless. :(

TomB985
08-24-2016, 02:17 PM
Oh MAN...sorry to hear about that. You must have quite a lip into your driveway.

We just got our first Spyder two weeks ago, and I made note of the low ground clearance rather quickly. I can see a curb screwing up my day if I forgot about the low hanging nose.

irvin48
08-24-2016, 02:33 PM
you can still put your wheels on. that might make you feel better.
then post pics of them so we can be envious. irv

jaherbst
08-24-2016, 08:49 PM
Wow that asphalt must of sunk a long way. You should have at least 3-4 inches of clearance. I would be watching for sink holes next in front of my driveway. :joke:

Jack

Chupaca
08-24-2016, 11:54 PM
Yeah that framework the bumpskid is attached to is not that study. It is a :cus: up way to start your day..:banghead: hope it all works out...

Dan McNally
08-25-2016, 06:30 AM
I filed a claim with GEICO - an adjuster is coming over to the house - Friday if he can get free, otherwise, between 8 and 8:30 on Monday morning, for sure.

He said I can wait until the dealership tears it down and comes up with a total - if it isn't too much, I can simply cancel the claim and pay out of pocket, and not have to worry about my rates going up.

He said they have a very complex algorithm they run to determine how much rates may go up for an "at fault" claim, based on cost of repairs, driving record, how long someone has been insured with them (33 years, to date!) , and a bunch of other things.

I much prefer boring days to days with this kind of "excitement!"

Bob Denman
08-25-2016, 06:57 AM
136464 Good luck!! :thumbup:

drhunt204
08-25-2016, 07:06 AM
I'm really sorry about your damage to your spyder. I hope you can get it fixed and riding agin soon. The Chinese have a curse that says, "may you live in interesting times" because of the stress that comes from those "interesting times". Like someone else said, don't let it get you down. Nobody was hurt.

SPYD3R
08-25-2016, 07:44 AM
NOW THIS IS IRONIC....
YOU BUY A PIECE OF EQUIPMENT TO "PROTECT" YOUR RIDE FROM DAMAGE, AND IT TURNS AROUND AND BITES YOU IN THE BUTT....
:yikes: :lecturef_smilie: :gaah:

I WISH YOU ONLY THE BEST RESULTS... LET US KNOW WHAT GIECO SAYS SHOULD YOU FILE A CLAIM....
SPYD3R

Ranman42
08-25-2016, 09:18 AM
I was loading mine on trailer and while watching wheels and ramp bumped the front rail of trailer. Now my shiny new ride has a burr due to my stupidity. Hope yours is fixed speedily.:banghead:

Ranman42
2016 RTS Orbital Blue
with custom boo-boo...

Kwalsh
08-25-2016, 09:26 AM
im sure there complicated plan for upping your rates include a witch doctor,the stock market,the tide, and weather its a full moon on tuesday or not...

it all works out to be a yes we are raising your rates

jeromeb
08-25-2016, 10:40 AM
Similar for me. Leaving a service station in June 70 miles from home, hit combo low spot and high spot. Skid plate purchased at Spyderfest was driven back and into right radiator. Allstate said I had safe driver rewards and waived deductible. Happy, happy. Entire process took several weeks and lucky I had another bike. Got it back in time for 3 long trips.

Spyder_Cowgirl
08-25-2016, 05:05 PM

Good Luck!

Wouldn't this, potentially, fall under home owners insurance? Since it was a faulty foundation that caused the damage .... just wondering.

k7xi
08-25-2016, 07:52 PM
I'm thinking since it was the wifes' side of the garage, she should be more responsible and pay the deductible. But if you mention that outloud, you didn't hear it from me and good luck.

BoilerAnimal
08-25-2016, 08:42 PM
Sorry to hear about the damage to your Spyder. I'm rethinking buying a skid plate for my Spyder now.

Mazo EMS2
08-25-2016, 08:59 PM
I wonder if this would have happened without the bumpskid? It seems there is somewhat of a radius to the bottom of the nose, that maybe would have been enough to guide up over the hump, instead of snagging it like it did with the blunt edge of the bumpskid...Devil's advocate I guess, and a non-bumpskid owner. Just wondering out loud.... No disrespect meant either way

Dan McNally
08-31-2016, 09:38 AM
Wouldn't this, potentially, fall under home owners insurance? Since it was a faulty foundation that caused the damage .... just wondering.

Thankfully, not - my homeowners deductible is four times what my motorcycle insurance deductible is!

Sorry to hear about the damage to your Spyder. I'm rethinking buying a skid plate for my Spyder now.

I wonder if this would have happened without the bumpskid? It seems there is somewhat of a radius to the bottom of the nose, that maybe would have been enough to guide up over the hump, instead of snagging it like it did with the blunt edge of the bumpskid...Devil's advocate I guess, and a non-bumpskid owner. Just wondering out loud.... No disrespect meant either way
Through the years, while riding back roads, some in very poor shape, the bump skid has protected my frunk from serious damage I've bottomed out, numerous times, sometimes, pretty darn hard. This was a fluke that I wasn't expecting because I have been in and out of the garage many, many times, and the settling of the asphalt has been slow, and therefore, not that noticeable to me. If this had been anywhere but my home, I'd have been paying better attention and seen the problem.

I dropped my Spyder off (without appointment) at the dealership, yesterday, around 11AM. The tech looked at it and said he saw three parts, right off, that would cost over $700 - so I contacted GEICO and said I'd be using the insurance. At 3 PM, the GEICO adjuster called - said he'd been to the dealership, looked at all the broken parts, because the dealership had already pulled it apart and completed the estimate, approved the claim and left a check for the entire amount, minus my deductible, with the dealership. Later, I got a call from the head tech, Ryan Bortner, giving me his update. He ordered the parts, yesterday, as soon as GEICO approved the repairs.

Total damages, with tax is just over $1,500 that includes three hours labor.

As a plus, the new wheels that I won - and which sort of caused this whole mess - look great!

Dan McNally
09-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Got a call from Ryan at Motosports in Hanover, PA, this afternoon. The repairs are completed and I'm picking Topper up, tomorrow. Dropped off on a Tuesday, with no appointment - all fixed by Friday - I can't complain about that! :clap:

Bfromla
09-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Got a call from Ryan at Motosports in Hanover, PA, this afternoon. The repairs are completed and I'm picking Topper up, tomorrow. Dropped off on a Tuesday, with no appointment - all fixed by Friday - I can't complain about that! :clap:

Good to hear happy results. Could you please share the end parts list with us. Looks like with cost like that ill be looking into a bump skid improvement soon too. Louisiana roads are the worst.

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

Marcy
09-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Heading up to see Ryan on Tuesday and Hanover PA Motorsports. They are squeezing me in for my 3K maint before a long trip I had planned. Great dealership and very customer service oriented. :yes: