PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 595 no phone sound

Peteoz
08-23-2016, 08:51 PM
Hi,
Anyone using an iPhone 6s with the Garmin 595 and Bluetooth helmet? ( the helmet system is irrelevant as I am getting no sound in any of Sena SMH10, Uclear or SRC (Cardo for Schuberth) headsets.)

My iPhone 6s will pair direct to all of the above headsets and the headsets play music and phone calls from the iPhone, so I know the iPhone talks to all of them.

But when I pair my iPhone 6s to my Garmin, and my Garmin to any of the above headsets, I can still get GPS instructions through the headsets, but nothing from my iPhone to my headsets. I know the Garmin is talking to the iPhone as the phone call is placed by the Garmin, and I can hit the "handset" button on the Garmin and hear the call through the phone itself. I can also hear music from the GPS micro SD card through the headset.

It is as though either the Garmin is not fully communicating with the headset (it is for GPS directions and GPS music), or something in the iPhone or Garmin is preventing full pairing between them and not passing the phone call sound through.

I have exhausted the Internet (it phoned me and told me to give up ;)), so I am posting on here just in case someone has experienced something similar.

Pete

XDiavel
08-31-2016, 08:52 PM
Hi,
Anyone using an iPhone 6s with the Garmin 595 and Bluetooth helmet? ( the helmet system is irrelevant as I am getting no sound in any of Sena SMH10, Uclear or SRC (Cardo for Schuberth) headsets.)

My iPhone 6s will pair direct to all of the above headsets and the headsets play music and phone calls from the iPhone, so I know the iPhone talks to all of them.

But when I pair my iPhone 6s to my Garmin, and my Garmin to any of the above headsets, I can still get GPS instructions through the headsets, but nothing from my iPhone to my headsets. I know the Garmin is talking to the iPhone as the phone call is placed by the Garmin, and I can hit the "handset" button on the Garmin and hear the call through the phone itself. I can also hear music from the GPS micro SD card through the headset.

It is as though either the Garmin is not fully communicating with the headset (it is for GPS directions and GPS music), or something in the iPhone or Garmin is preventing full pairing between them and not passing the phone call sound through.

I have exhausted the Internet (it phoned me and told me to give up ;)), so I am posting on here just in case someone has experienced something similar.

Pete

Hi Peteoz,

I'm experiencing something similar.

I am trying to get the following products to work seamlessly;

Cardo Packtalk bluetooth headset (Only 1 headset - Running latest firmware v2.2).
Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS navigator (Running Latest software v3.20). This runs off the bikes power.
Apple iPhone 6S Plus 128Gb (Running latest iOS 9.3.5).

All software is up-to-date as of 01/Sept/2016.

I am running the Garmin Smart Link app as well as the Cardo Smartset app on the iPhone. Both are the latest updates and each connect without issue to their respective devices.

I have the Packtalk paired to both the iPhone and the Zumo.
The Zumo is also paired to the iPhone.

I am able to listen to MP3s without a worry and can change the track on the Zumo.

My problem is phone calls. When a call comes in, or I dial out, the iPhone defaults to using the Zumo as the phone’s “speaker”. When this happens, I can’t hear anything. I have to get out my iPhone and manually change the speaker to the Packtalk every time which is frustrating, because to do that, I need to stop the bike, get my phone out and change the speaker which usually means the call will drop out and go to voicemail. Clearly this is not how the Zumo is designed to work.

If I manually change the speaker to Packtalk then it works fine. But there is no way to set the default speaker to the Packtalk. Apple has a function so default the call to a Bluetooth headset but the problem is that iOS treats the Zumo the same as the Packtalk.

I have checked the Apple forums and there does not seem to be a way to select the Packtalk as the default ‘speaker’ to answer any incoming calls or to use on outgoing calls.

I have the bluetooth on my 2016 XDiavel S switched off because it's pretty useless.....

I'm keen to see how you go.

GRIPMAN
08-31-2016, 09:10 PM
Hi,

Pete

Pete,
was having the same problem with a garmin 590 on a 2016 rt and my service manager discovered that the communication harness on the right side beneath the seat(next to the cb unit ) was connected wrong, all jacks are the same and should connect wires according to color markings
Joseph

CapeSpyder
08-31-2016, 09:58 PM
I have been using a Garmin app for smartphones called smartphone link.

Peteoz
08-31-2016, 11:10 PM
Hi Peteoz,

I'm experiencing something similar.

I am trying to get the following products to work seamlessly;

Cardo Packtalk bluetooth headset (Only 1 headset - Running latest firmware v2.2).
Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS navigator (Running Latest software v3.20). This runs off the bikes power.
Apple iPhone 6S Plus 128Gb (Running latest iOS 9.3.5).

I'm keen to see how you go.

What you are describing is exactly what I was getting, XDiavel. Mine is now working, and I would love to tell you exactly how to cure it, but I tried so many different options that I can only give you some guidelines........

I called Garmin support, and they were able to confirm that there was no restriction with the 595 that should stop this 6s/595/SRC Cardo configuration from working, so yours should be the same. They did give me a few tips.........

1) Reset all three bits of gear to erase all the pairings/potential pairings.

2) On the 595, this means pressing your thumb on the bottom right corner of the screen while holding the power button for 10 seconds or so, until "system" appears at the top middle of the screen and starts scrolling down. Let go of the power button at this time, BUT NOT YOUR THUMB ON THE BOTTOM CORNER. Hold that until "system" stops scrolling (probably 4 or 5 times) and then let go. This should have reset all pairings (and probably everything else, but I had no saved routes etc anyway)

3) When you then go in to the 595 settings and select Bluetooth it should display two large boxes, one for headset connection, and one for phone connection. ALWAYS CONNECT YOUR HEADSET FIRST.....Set your headset for pairing and hit the headset connect box/button on the Garmin. This should connect your headset. Then set your 6s for pairing, and hit the phone connect box/button. This should connect your phone. I apologise for not attaching photos, but I am just heading out. See where the above takes you, and if it doesn't work, we can examine it further.

I had had a couple of goes at this (I don't think I had reset my SRC/Cardo properly) and then, magically, I was able to place a call via my 595 screen and hear it clearly through my headset. I was also able to hear iPhone music through my headset, which paused when I made a phone call, and resumed when I hung up.

Initially, I thought I had either a flakey 595, a flakey headset or the Garmin just didn't like the combination. As long as your Cardo is fairly recent it should work just fine.

Pete

Peteoz
08-31-2016, 11:13 PM
I have been using a Garmin app for smartphones called smartphone link.

Thanks CapeSpyder, I am using that app, but it has no impact on this pairing issue......I hope you are charging your phone on the Spyder....it seems to chew a fair bit of battery :shocked:
ete

Peteoz
08-31-2016, 11:15 PM
Pete,
was having the same problem with a garmin 590 on a 2016 rt and my service manager discovered that the communication harness on the right side beneath the seat(next to the cb unit ) was connected wrong, all jacks are the same and should connect wires according to color markings
Joseph

Thanks Joseph. I was wondering if it was something like that, but it is now working after using some guidelines from Garmin, which I have detailed above..
Pete

CapeSpyder
09-01-2016, 08:59 AM
With that app and my usage my phone would never last the day without my juice pack or charging when I can. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hillrider
09-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Had a similar problem with my 590 and Sena 20s. Then one day after a Garmin update, all was right with the world. Seems Garmin has a issue or two.

CapeSpyder
09-01-2016, 12:20 PM
I think as Peteoz said it had to do with pairing, priority. The gps wad the last one i set up and so far so good.

CapeSpyder
Sent From my Note 5

XDiavel
09-18-2016, 08:17 PM
What you are describing is exactly what I was getting, XDiavel. Mine is now working, and I would love to tell you exactly how to cure it, but I tried so many different options that I can only give you some guidelines........

I called Garmin support, and they were able to confirm that there was no restriction with the 595 that should stop this 6s/595/SRC Cardo configuration from working, so yours should be the same. They did give me a few tips.........

1) Reset all three bits of gear to erase all the pairings/potential pairings.

2) On the 595, this means pressing your thumb on the bottom right corner of the screen while holding the power button for 10 seconds or so, until "system" appears at the top middle of the screen and starts scrolling down. Let go of the power button at this time, BUT NOT YOUR THUMB ON THE BOTTOM CORNER. Hold that until "system" stops scrolling (probably 4 or 5 times) and then let go. This should have reset all pairings (and probably everything else, but I had no saved routes etc anyway)

3) When you then go in to the 595 settings and select Bluetooth it should display two large boxes, one for headset connection, and one for phone connection. ALWAYS CONNECT YOUR HEADSET FIRST.....Set your headset for pairing and hit the headset connect box/button on the Garmin. This should connect your headset. Then set your 6s for pairing, and hit the phone connect box/button. This should connect your phone. I apologise for not attaching photos, but I am just heading out. See where the above takes you, and if it doesn't work, we can examine it further.

I had had a couple of goes at this (I don't think I had reset my SRC/Cardo properly) and then, magically, I was able to place a call via my 595 screen and hear it clearly through my headset. I was also able to hear iPhone music through my headset, which paused when I made a phone call, and resumed when I hung up.

Initially, I thought I had either a flakey 595, a flakey headset or the Garmin just didn't like the combination. As long as your Cardo is fairly recent it should work just fine.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

Just went for a 1,300km ride over 3 days with some mates and had to settle with the Garmin not connected. Just used the Phone to the cardo which worked perfectly.

I'll give your advice a go...

Fingers crossed!

Peteoz
09-18-2016, 11:12 PM
Thanks Pete.

Just went for a 1,300km ride over 3 days with some mates and had to settle with the Garmin not connected. Just used the Phone to the cardo which worked perfectly.

I'll give your advice a go...

Fingers crossed!

One thing I HAVE noticed occasionally of late, is that the check boxes in the Bluetooth section of the 595 settings have unchecked themselves, so I am getting no sound through the headset.

It's worthwhile double checking them before you ride off, once your headset and phone are linked to the Garmin. I would not have a clue why this is occurring. If they are off, just "check" them, and all seems to come good.

ljcorby
11-09-2016, 10:04 AM
All, good morning. Although I do not own a Spyder, I am a Kawasaki Concours 14 owner....however, I noticed I am experiencing some of the same issues you are. I am going to try some of the suggestions on this forum to see if I can alleviate my issues. I just purchased the Zumo 595LM, an upgrade to my Zumo 660, which I didn't have any issues with. I am finding that I also do not get clear bluetooth communication when my iphone 6S is successfully connected to the 595 when using it in my car. Anyone experience this? It is sort of crackly (if that's a word) and sort of cuts in and out. However, I get smart alerts from the phone etc....and the smartlink app communicates fine with the unit. Anyone experience this?