PDA

View Full Version : Spyder wobble

dlby
08-22-2016, 11:06 PM
Had local bike shop (not dealer)etc. change oil today
Started out fine with panel removal, mirror removal etc.
But

When I walked by the front end was jacked up using front shock area( i think)

Notice a wobble at 25-40 mph on way home

Ideas?

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

GOZFST
08-22-2016, 11:11 PM
I'd jack it up and check the lug nuts.

dlby
08-23-2016, 04:38 AM
Thx
I wi try that 2da

Any other thoughts folks?
Damage by jacking it up at that spot?

Bob Denman
08-23-2016, 07:08 AM
If that's where they picked your bike up: it's got to be where the change occurred.
Inspect it; looking for marks ar damage, and get back to that shop!
Have them explain what they thought they were doing... :banghead:

jcthorne
08-23-2016, 08:20 AM
Lifting the front corner under the shock mount in the a arm is really not a problem unless they tried to lift WAY too high.

No how I would do an oil change but still doubt lifting at the a arm has anything to do with a bent rim or out of balance tire.

dlby
08-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys & any gals also

Support is helpful
Wife is having surgical procedure today but hope to check it out better when she is resting this eve.

This bike has been arrow straight & never vibrates or shakes at any speed.
Thats whats freaking me out abit.

dlby
08-23-2016, 10:12 AM
My son owns the shop & they are great people working for him
I hope they don't have to pay to get something fixed at a dealer

dlby
08-24-2016, 02:28 AM
Went ryding for 1.5 hrs today.
For a while i thought it had worked itself out.
But on way home it returned.
Mostly around 43 mph but also at slowdown
Taking it to shop tomorrow.

Any more suggestions b4 I head in are welcome

dlby
08-26-2016, 10:18 PM
Well after a few days it was better
Maybe being jacked up made the shock absorber cranky.

Finally got it back to the shop & used air calibration to get both tires xactly same pressure.
One was 3# different
Torqued all lugs

Now its smooth as silk again

My advice---
Dont jack it up under the shock
Dunno
Just glad its good to go

Gray Ghost
08-27-2016, 07:51 AM
Finally got it back to the shop & used air calibration to get both tires xactly same pressure.
One was 3# different
That much difference between the two fronts would have caused steering issues.

Bob Denman
08-27-2016, 07:58 AM
:agree: Thanks for letting us know that you're back to "Good To Go" status! :clap:

KayMarc
09-05-2016, 11:11 PM
Being and old goldwing rider having only two tires to deal with was a bit easier. LOL I am new to spyder riding (Loving it) but had all my tires replaced a week or two after I bought my 2014 rt it was part of the deal buying the bike and I could not believe the ride got so much worse after the new tires were installed. I was not going to be able to get back to dealer for three days because they would not be open again till then, so I started checking things out as to why the ride had gotten so bad with new tires. I found they set the pressure at about 13psi one front tire the other at 15psi could not believe after raising my pressure to 20psi on both fronts how much better it handled. But now will also be checking the lugs just to be sure also. Thanks to all active members on here for all the shared knowledge. I have much to learn. :bowdown:

SpyderAnn01
09-06-2016, 12:12 AM
Being and old goldwing rider having only two tires to deal with was a bit easier. LOL I am new to spyder riding (Loving it) but had all my tires replaced a week or two after I bought my 2014 rt it was part of the deal buying the bike and I could not believe the ride got so much worse after the new tires were installed. I was not going to be able to get back to dealer for three days because they would not be open again till then, so I started checking things out as to why the ride had gotten so bad with new tires. I found they set the pressure at about 13psi one front tire the other at 15psi could not believe after raising my pressure to 20psi on both fronts how much better it handled. But now will also be checking the lugs just to be sure also. Thanks to all active members on here for all the shared knowledge. I have much to learn. :bowdown:

Keep the front tires within 1/2 # of each other. And remember as the weather gets cooler your tires will lose pressure. If your Spyder ever feels hard to maneuver at low speed you likely have low tire pressure.

Paula
09-06-2016, 12:24 AM
Sorry to here about the wobble. After riding this last week I finally had time to give Bertha a good cleaning. Checked tire pressure. One front at 15, the other 12, the rear at 22. Evened both fronts to 15psi and rear to 28psi. Now i cant wait to ride it to see if i will love it anymore!

Hubby had changed oil last week but just did it flat on the garage with hubby laying on the creeper.

dlby
09-06-2016, 03:40 AM
The next car ramps i find at yard sale etc i will purchase & modify to go higher for future work underneath