PDA

View Full Version : Corbin Backrest #02-SB Question

jodeg1945
03-26-2009, 09:46 PM
I received my Corbin seat today, only ONE WEEK and ONE DAY after I ordered it! Very happy about that, since the original "Schedule Date" was APRIL 29th.

My husband installed the seat today and it looks and feels great. Unfortunately, won't be able to take it for a test ride yet, because it's supposed to rain for the next few days, and then turn cold -- bummer! Might even snow Saturday - Ugh!

Anyway, I'm now considering the Corbin backrest, #02-SB. In the description is says that the backrest's angle is adjustable, which is good. It also says that with "some seats" it is adjustable "fore and aft" -- can be moved forward a bit to suit the rider (I'm short).

Can someone who has a Corbin seat with this backrest tell me if this backrest has this capability with the Corbin seat for the Spyder? I've e-mailed Corbin and asked this question, but thought I'd post here to get some firsthand information.

Thanks!

zzneonzz
03-26-2009, 10:17 PM
I received my Corbin seat today, only ONE WEEK and ONE DAY after I ordered it! Very happy about that, since the original "Schedule Date" was APRIL 29th.

My husband installed the seat today and it looks and feels great. Unfortunately, won't be able to take it for a test ride yet, because it's supposed to rain for the next few days, and then turn cold -- bummer! Might even snow Saturday - Ugh!

Anyway, I'm now considering the Corbin backrest, #02-SB. In the description is says that the backrest's angle is adjustable, which is good. It also says that with "some seats" it is adjustable "fore and aft" -- can be moved forward a bit to suit the rider (I'm short).

Can someone who has a Corbin seat with this backrest tell me if this backrest has this capability with the Corbin seat for the Spyder? I've e-mailed Corbin and asked this question, but thought I'd post here to get some firsthand information.

Thanks!

The corbin backrest can be angled forward back but not be moved forward or back.

jenrldcm
03-27-2009, 05:00 AM
I recently put the Corbin heated seats on my wife's SE5 along with the Corbin donut style backrest. It is true that they angle forward, but the angle seems to be more a passenger to mount the back instead of comfort of the rider, You want the backrest to be fully against your back instead of angled and the top edge being the support. My solution is that I am fixing to order the 5" pullback bars to mount onto the 1" riser I have already put on there. This should set her back instead of being leaned forward like a sports bike.

NancysToy
03-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Glad you appear to have found a solution to your dilemma. I'm sure you won't miss the pain.
-Scotty

zzneonzz
03-27-2009, 08:50 AM
I recently put the Corbin heated seats on my wife's SE5 along with the Corbin donut style backrest. It is true that they angle forward, but the angle seems to be more a passenger to mount the back instead of comfort of the rider, You want the backrest to be fully against your back instead of angled and the top edge being the support. My solution is that I am fixing to order the 5" pullback bars to mount onto the 1" riser I have already put on there. This should set her back instead of being leaned forward like a sports bike.

Not sure how tall your wife is but i also have the 1" riser and 5" pullback bars and i'm still not quite able to reach the backrest fully. I'm about 5'5" and thinking about replacing them with the 7" if i can without rerunning cables.

tatt2r
03-27-2009, 09:00 AM
my girl friend is 5'4" we have nmn 3 inch risers and brp 1" riser i put a drivers back rest on that i got from a buddy of mine ... for me at 5'7" it pushed me too far forward and caused her to hunch down do to the corbins poor design of passenger seat ..(which has been sent back to be corrected) i had her sit up front with the back rest on and she was too short to lean back on it ... so in my opinion if you are under 5'4" the back rest is a waste of money ... :coffee:

jodeg1945
03-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for your helpful replies. We pretty much figured, from looking at the hole in the seat, that the backrest wouldn't be adjustable fore and aft.

I am short, 5'4", and have the NMN 4" risers, which helped tremendously. On the stock seat, I was about 3" away from my butt touching that rise in the seat, so I didn't get any support from the rise at all. Short arms I guess.

With the Corbin seat, my butt is planted up against the rise, so I began to wonder if a backrest would work for me. My husband says he can "modify" (everything gets modified in our house!) the backrest to fit me by designing something which can be welded at the top and will move the backrest more forward. He's the research, design, development and fabrication department -- I just enjoy the results!

I haven't had a chance to go on a ride yet, but when I sit on the Corbin seat, I feel more like I'm sitting "in" it than perched on top, as I did on the stock seat. The stock seat felt like it had a hump in the center and very little support on the edges. The Corbin seat feels like it has more support on each side, which should work better for me -- that's where all my "personal padding" is!!

Thanks again for your helpful posts!

zzneonzz
03-27-2009, 10:06 AM
my girl friend is 5'4" we have nmn 3 inch risers and brp 1" riser i put a drivers back rest on that i got from a buddy of mine ... for me at 5'7" it pushed me too far forward and caused her to hunch down do to the corbins poor design of passenger seat ..(which has been sent back to be corrected) i had her sit up front with the back rest on and she was too short to lean back on it ... so in my opinion if you are under 5'4" the back rest is a waste of money ... :coffee:

So did corbin say they could fix it so she doesn't slide forward?

tatt2r
03-27-2009, 10:15 AM
So did corbin say they could fix it so she doesn't slide forward?

they said they would ... hopefully :thumbup:

jenrldcm
03-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Hey ZZNEONZZ,
We too are also in Memphis. I am (or just was) fixing to order the 5" pull back bars for the wifes spyder. I was told that with the 1" riser, this would be the max I could go. That it would be the same as the 7" pull back bars without the riser. I know...the measurements don't add up to that. What do you know about this? I am in the Raleigh/Bartlett area and would love to have the chance to possibly let her sit on yours before ordering?? Any chance?

zzneonzz
03-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Hey ZZNEONZZ,
We too are also in Memphis. I am (or just was) fixing to order the 5" pull back bars for the wifes spyder. I was told that with the 1" riser, this would be the max I could go. That it would be the same as the 7" pull back bars without the riser. I know...the measurements don't add up to that. What do you know about this? I am in the Raleigh/Bartlett area and would love to have the chance to possibly let her sit on yours before ordering?? Any chance?

Sure i'm also in the Raleigh Bartlett Area. And i can tell you it is NOT the same as the 7" without the 1" riser. I was told it was too but after putting mine next to someone with the 7" last week i realised it is off a little.

orangespydiegirl
03-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Glad to see another rider in Memphis. I am 5'5" have the 4" risers and can sit at the "hump" in the seat. I want the Corbin with a bag rest for me and ZZ has offered me to sit on his seat whenever we can get together, hope the weather clears up soon.