PDA

View Full Version : Why is it every bike on the planet has a heated seat but the Spyder?

IdleUp
08-19-2016, 08:52 PM
I just bought a new F3-T and regretfully heated seats was not an option.

I just don't get it - I thought touring bikes where for comfort, if its cold out and you don't have a heated seat that equals "No Comfort". I just can't figure out why BRP won't offer a heated seat option - Ok, on the older bikes there was no alternator so I guess that's an excuse - but now we have a regular alternator so why can't we have a damn heated seat?

Why is it we're all forced to spend mega-bucks to buy Corbin seats if we want heat?

samewok
08-19-2016, 09:09 PM
They do for th RT.

robmorg
08-19-2016, 09:18 PM
I just don't get it - I thought touring bikes where for comfort, if its cold out and you don't have a heated seat that equals "No Comfort".

I just can't figure out why BRP won't offer a heated seat option - Ok, on the older bikes there was no alternator so I guess that's an excuse - but now we have a regular alternator so why can't we have a damn heated seat?

Why is it we're all forced to spend mega-bucks to buy Corbin seats if we want heat?

BRP DOES offer a heated comfort seat for the RT as an option. And Motorcycle Dave will sell you a heating element for your seat for much less. See this thread (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?83926-I-KNOW-IT-quot-S-SUMMER-gt-gt-BUT-gt-gt-there-will-be-cold-weather-before-you-know-it&highlight=heat+seat).

yamahog
08-19-2016, 09:23 PM
My 2011 has a heated seat now if i could figure out how to turn it off in the summer LOL, I hear you though I scratch my head on some of the things that aren't included on the RT.

SilverFox1
08-19-2016, 09:24 PM
I've seen a heated seat for an RT on sale at my dealer in Embrun, Ontario. Mind you that was a couple of months ago. But just saying, they do exist.

4 MARIE
08-19-2016, 10:15 PM
My 2011 has a heated seat now if i could figure out how to turn it off in the summer LOL, I hear you though I scratch my head on some of the things that aren't included on the RT.

yup, like the ability to start like any other vehicle on the planet

Bfromla
08-19-2016, 10:36 PM
:hun:136167Alright whee uou want it??:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::p opcorn:

IdleUp
08-20-2016, 12:02 AM
They do for th RT.

I asked the dealer and they told me only heated grips! Are you sure?

vided
08-20-2016, 04:57 AM

https://youtu.be/EPvLoKsreV8

Ex Winger
08-20-2016, 05:58 AM
Had a heated seat on my Goldwing and never used it.I figure if it,s that cold out i,ll take my Tundra.
Bill

Bob Denman
08-20-2016, 07:54 AM

Have you ever actually looked in the accessory catalogs? :dontknow:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-20-2016, 07:57 AM
it's not that the seats are heated but the fact most bikers eat bean burrito's before a ride

murphybrown
08-20-2016, 08:18 AM
you might consider a diff dealer. IMHO a dealer that doesn't know the basics may not be up to speed on more technical issues :yikes:

Bob Denman
08-20-2016, 08:22 AM
it's not that the seats are heated but the fact most bikers eat bean burrito's before a ride

:shocked: Remind me to NEVER follow behind you too closely! :yikes:

jaherbst
08-20-2016, 09:22 AM
Heated BRP Comfort Seat on both my RTS and RTL. What are you talking about. Perhaps a little more diligent homework would be in order.

Jack

Chupaca
08-20-2016, 09:22 AM
But I have never found them to be much use on a motorcycle. Maybe on the RT's but my butt is not the part of me that gets cold. It's like a wetsuit once the body heat warms that area its fine nor do my palms get cold for the same reason. It may just be me or the fact i'm on an RS but the jacket liner and heated gloves are the best for a cold ryde. But seat solutions you have many and if brp put them on stock you would not be happy with the price increase....:thumbup:

Highwayman2013
08-20-2016, 09:27 AM
http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/769535/219400398/_/Heated_Comfort_Seat

Bob Denman
08-20-2016, 09:36 AM
Where is Dave today? :dontknow:
He can put heating elements into ANY seat! :thumbup:

IdleUp
08-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Sorry guys I was not referring to the RT - I was talking about the F3-T

Makes you wonder why BRP would build the F3-T a touring bike, with storage, speed control, radio, windshield and not offer one of the most common accessories a heated seat. The last two Spyders i owned I had to shell our megabucks to get a heated seat from Corbin and dump perfectly good seats.

Bob Denman
08-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Talk to MotorcycleDave about what you need; he can fix you up! :thumbup:

IdleUp
08-20-2016, 11:14 AM

Do you have a link - I would be interested - I just priced a Corbin and its like $850.

Thanks

Bob Denman
08-20-2016, 11:22 AM
I couldn't find an ad for him:

Motorcycledave (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?10471-Motorcycledave)

Try sending him a PM... :thumbup:

cuznjohn
08-20-2016, 12:04 PM
i have had a few bikes with heated grips and seats. i will admit, i have used the grips, but never the seats.

taken
08-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Sorry guys I was not referring to the RT - I was talking about the F3-T

Makes you wonder why BRP would build the F3-T a touring bike, with storage, speed control, radio, windshield and not offer one of the most common accessories a heated seat. The last two Spyders i owned I had to shell our megabucks to get a heated seat from Corbin and dump perfectly good seats.

Wait a minute. I thought you said the F3 was a sport bike? Just last night you posted:

F3 is sport bike and the RT is a touring bike!

Why buy a sporty bike and load it up to make it a RT ? Or take a RT and pull off all the stuff and make it F3.

While they are different - its not like they are worlds apart!

IdleUp
08-20-2016, 02:25 PM
I couldn't find an ad for him:

Motorcycledave (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?10471-Motorcycledave)

Try sending him a PM... :thumbup:

I sure will thanks!

How does he add the heat strips to the seats you know?

taken
08-20-2016, 02:30 PM
http://www.motorcycledave.com/custom-seats-heaters/

Motorcycledave
08-20-2016, 03:15 PM
AND... believe it or not, I just shipped 2 seat heaters & controls to
a Spyder Rider in New Zealand
I have them in stock YOU....yes YOU can install them yourself it's easy
and you will save BIG $$$$$
Dave

Motorcycledave
08-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Call me I will walk you through it
Dave
209-887-3283

I sure will thanks!

How does he add the heat strips to the seats you know?

Motorcycledave
08-20-2016, 03:21 PM
For $850.00 I can supply you with enough seat heaters and controllers
for 11.34 seats.
This is an easy install you can do it..
Dave

Do you have a link - I would be interested - I just priced a Corbin and its like $850.

Thanks

bandito
08-20-2016, 05:02 PM
for 11.34 seats.
Davecould the seat heaters be wired to the oem grip heater controls on an RT? thanks

taken
08-20-2016, 05:08 PM
could the seat heaters be wired to the oem grip heater controls on an RT? thanks

Good question. I was wondering the same... :thumbup: It would seem that you could use a standard relay to accomplish this as not to power them directly off the heated grip switch but rather have them triggered by it...

IdleUp
08-21-2016, 07:15 PM
for 11.34 seats.
Dave

Please tell us how to do it but we're almost broke from buying new spyders!:shocked:

nightshift357
08-22-2016, 11:04 AM
My 2015 has heated seats. RT.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Motorcycledave
08-22-2016, 05:35 PM
I don't see why not BUT I never have had anyone tell me they did it
Dave

QUOTE=bandito;1171531]could the seat heaters be wired to the oem grip heater controls on an RT? thanks[/QUOTE]

Motorcycledave
08-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Just give me a call I can give you detailed info on installing a heater
it is easy.... Don't know why they charge so damn much to do it when
it is easy and fast . 209-887-3283
Dave

Please tell us how to do it but we're almost broke from buying new spyders!:shocked:

bandito
08-23-2016, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE=Motorcycledave;Don't know why they charge so damn much to do it when
it is easy and fast . 209-887-3283
Dave[/QUOTE]
Because they can.

Buckeye Bleau
08-23-2016, 09:03 AM
yup, like the ability to start like any other vehicle on the planet. :barf::wrong:

Come on give me a break. When we got our RT my wife said, "I guess we will have to get out of the bank robbery business!"

From the the time I turn the key, sit on it, put on my gloves and I get the go ahead it is 15 seconds. 15 short seconds. Relax, stop complaining about nothing. The Spyder is NOT like ANYOTHER bike.

Joe

Pirate looks at --
08-23-2016, 09:13 AM
But I have never found them to be much use on a motorcycle. Maybe on the RT's but my butt is not the part of me that gets cold. It's like a wetsuit once the body heat warms that area its fine nor do my palms get cold for the same reason. It may just be me or the fact i'm on an RS but the jacket liner and heated gloves are the best for a cold ryde. But seat solutions you have many and if brp put them on stock you would not be happy with the price increase....:thumbup:
Let's not forget where you live Gene!:yes::yes:

Pirate looks at --
08-23-2016, 09:17 AM
Wait a minute. I thought you said the F3 was a sport bike? Just last night you posted:
He has multiple personalities!:roflblack:

Chupaca
08-23-2016, 09:32 AM
True...but then I didn't always live here. Some of the places did get chilly like Montana, Colorado, New York, Connecticut the others not so much like Texas, florida and California...then we all feel the cold a bit differently.....

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

IdleUp
08-26-2016, 11:04 AM
Don't know, My selling dealer told me there was no heated seats on the new Spyder ( or old ones on fact) so I start this thread then a bunch of guys told me they did - I went to a major Spyder dealer in Atlanta yesterday and when I asked if any of the Spyders had heated seats - he looked at me like i was a jerk and said no!

I then marched to the parts department and told them i wanted an electric seat and he laughed and told me no as well! Does anybody know what their talking about?

WTF :sour: . . . . . .

bruiser
08-26-2016, 11:27 AM
There is a heated seat for the RT only. The F3 does not have that option. So if you are asking your dealer for a heated seat for the F3 and he said no, then he is correct. However, if you ask about one for the RT and he said no, then he doesn't know what he is talking about. The BRP accessories catalog shows the heated comfort seat for the RT.

Heated Comfort Seat - Charcoal Grey
Part number: 219400485

Dmpsam
08-26-2016, 11:30 AM
My seat is plenty warm! All I have to do is start the engine and let her warm up......my butt is plenty warm.
If I had a heated seat, I may spontaneous combust! Lmao :D

IdleUp
08-26-2016, 11:48 AM
There is a heated seat for the RT only. The F3 does not have that option. So if you are asking your dealer for a heated seat for the F3 and he said no, then he is correct. However, if you ask about one for the RT and he said no, then he doesn't know what he is talking about. The BRP accessories catalog shows the heated comfort seat for the RT.

Heated Comfort Seat - Charcoal Grey
Part number: 219400485

Negative they had 4 limited RT's in the showroom and I asked if any had heated seats and he thought I was nuts - he replied grips only. Got the same act at the parts department. Does anyone have a link to show these "Rare" heated seats?

Thanks

IdleUp
08-26-2016, 11:50 AM
I found it - why don't these deaalers know anything . . .

http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/spyder-blog/2014-must-have-accessories-for-the-spyder-rt.html

taken
08-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Naturally none of the display bikes would have it. It's a factory accessory, not a factory option. 2 seconds on Google and you could have found this:

http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/769535/219400398/_/Heated_Comfort_Seat

IdleUp
08-26-2016, 11:58 AM
Ok this is typical manufacture ignorance - let me see if i understand . . . . .

You go buy a new $30K Spyder and there is no option for heated seats!

So you buy the bike, then have to throw away your brand new seats and spend $1000 on a heated seat - What's wrong with this picture?

taken
08-26-2016, 12:01 PM
It's not ignorance. It's a marketing strategy. They offer a ton of accessories but if they were options instead, the odds of finding a dealer with what you want in stock would be near impossible with all the possible combinations. When they are all built the same way except color, dealers need to stock less and can just trade with another dealer if they don't have the color you want.

Bob Denman
08-26-2016, 12:59 PM
:agree: BRP isn't is business to keep your butt warm: they're in business to make money! :thumbup:

Jazzplayer2014
08-27-2016, 03:06 AM
I have the heated seat and love it I brought when I was in Germany but rarely use it now since I live in South Texas. However my wife and son swears by it during the winter. By the way, I kept the original seat.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

spyderCodes
08-27-2016, 07:26 AM
All of my spyders have had heated seats and/or backrests.
If you have a BRP driver's backrest, putting a heating element in is a piece of cake.
MotorCycle Dave can supply the element.
My F3 only has the backrest heated and I don't think the seat is needed.

Fat Baxter
08-27-2016, 11:28 PM
For almost 20 years (BMW RT, now Spyder RT-S), I've used the same black sheepskin pad. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer.

I also stick my paper map under the sheepskin to keep it handy. Pull over, stand up a bit and pull the map out from under the sheepskin. A bit rough on the maps, but maps are free at most Interstate rest stops. That's one thing I definitely miss from my BMW -- a tank bag with a map pocket on top. But a tank bag with a large enough map pocket would interfere with the handlebars when turning. One of the Spyder's trade-offs.

(I can hear it now: "Why don't you get a GPS?" 1) Because I like to look ahead to where I'm going, and 2) a GPS is a device that tells you that you are lost with great precision.)

IdleUp
08-28-2016, 08:34 AM
All of my spyders have had heated seats and/or backrests.
If you have a BRP driver's backrest, putting a heating element in is a piece of cake.
MotorCycle Dave can supply the element.
My F3 only has the backrest heated and I don't think the seat is needed.

Thanks I was just looking at his site!!