PDA

View Full Version : the flooding down south.

cuznjohn
08-19-2016, 05:10 PM
i really feel bad for the people, but i found this funny

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13920844_1809640369312478_1961107453694721398_n.jp g?oh=f950db291c3f188b236bd4ddb6b62de2&oe=585DA528

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-19-2016, 05:14 PM
is charlene his spyder?

Bob Denman
08-19-2016, 05:44 PM
That's his Wife/Sister/1st-2nd-3rd and 5th cousin/Great-Aunt/ and Grandmother! :yikes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-20-2016, 12:01 AM
I was talking to the folks who bought our house outside Hammond, LA when we left there 10 years ago. She said one of the big reasons Denham Springs, just east of Baton Rouge, flooded so badly was a median barrier constructed on I-12 with no way for water to pass through it. Some real "smart" highway design choices seriously aggravated the disaster.

Orange Spyder Man
08-20-2016, 08:29 AM
sorry... but your explanation is incorrect... the reason for this massive flooding was because rain totals were in excess of 37" in less than 12 hours in areas that grounds had been soaked with unseasonable large amounts of rain... thus the rivers that drain these areas simply could not handle the massive amounts of water..
40,000 homes flooded in just the Denham Springs area... this area is a flood plain.. if you unfamiliar with this term look it up for clarification..
in the Hammond, Gonzales, Prairieville area were also flooded .. from back waters of the Pearl River.. this area has never before recorded this much rain in 3 day period.. lots of lives will be disrupted for many years to come... that picture you posted does not indicate the real picture... one has to look at the whole picture... look 3 miles in either direction to see the actual problem.. its the Pearl River.. it overflowed its banks because of extreme amounts of rain north & south of this particular area... levees build by man contained other areas from flooding... unfortunately growth out ran the levee protection system which is shown in your picture..

osm

QUOTE=IdahoMtnSpyder;1171213]I was talking to the folks who bought our house outside Hammond, LA when we left there 10 years ago. She said one of the big reasons Denham Springs, just east of Baton Rouge, flooded so badly was a median barrier constructed on I-12 with no way for water to pass through it. Some real "smart" highway design choices seriously aggravated the disaster.

136171[/QUOTE]

Bob Denman
08-20-2016, 08:38 AM
On FoxNews this morning: they mentioned that 30" of rain had fallen... is that number accurate? :shocked:

vided
08-20-2016, 10:28 AM
On FoxNews this morning: they mentioned that 30" of rain had fallen... is that number accurate? :shocked:

it's fair and balanced

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-20-2016, 10:39 AM
sorry... but your explanation is incorrect... the reason for this massive flooding was because rain totals were in excess of 37" in less than 12 hours in areas that grounds had been soaked with unseasonable large amounts of rain... thus the rivers that drain these areas simply could not handle the massive amounts of water..
40,000 homes flooded in just the Denham Springs area... this area is a flood plain.. if you unfamiliar with this term look it up for clarification..
in the Hammond, Gonzales, Prairieville area were also flooded .. from back waters of the Pearl River.. this area has never before recorded this much rain in 3 day period.. lots of lives will be disrupted for many years to come... that picture you posted does not indicate the real picture... one has to look at the whole picture... look 3 miles in either direction to see the actual problem.. its the Pearl River.. it overflowed its banks because of extreme amounts of rain north & south of this particular area... levees build by man contained other areas from flooding... unfortunately growth out ran the levee protection system which is shown in your picture..

osm

QUOTE=IdahoMtnSpyder;1171213]I was talking to the folks who bought our house outside Hammond, LA when we left there 10 years ago. She said one of the big reasons Denham Springs, just east of Baton Rouge, flooded so badly was a median barrier constructed on I-12 with no way for water to pass through it. Some real "smart" highway design choices seriously aggravated the disaster.

136171[/QUOTE]
You're correct, but the barrier aggravated the flooding.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Orange Spyder Man
08-20-2016, 04:17 PM
Bob...YES ... quite accurate ... in Walker, La (which is just north of Baton Rouge... it was reported 37" of rain fell in less than 12 hours...
never before in history has this area sustained such flooding... these people needs help & prayers...

osm

Orange Spyder Man
08-20-2016, 04:22 PM
well, both sides of the interstate north & south received flooding .. its quite apparent in the pictures you posted... but in actuality if you view the entire area between Baton Rouge & Hammond... the flooding is extensive.. from Hammond to Baton Rouge, north to Walker & south to Gonzales flooding like this has never been recorded before in these areas...

osm

You're correct, but the barrier aggravated the flooding.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Bob Denman
08-20-2016, 05:50 PM
I guess that nobody can plan for that much rain... The best that you can hope for, is to not be there when it happens. nojoke

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-20-2016, 06:03 PM
well, both sides of the interstate north & south received flooding .. its quite apparent in the pictures you posted... but in actuality if you view the entire area between Baton Rouge & Hammond... the flooding is extensive.. from Hammond to Baton Rouge, north to Walker & south to Gonzales flooding like this has never been recorded before in these areas...

osm

Minor correction, Walker is east of BR and Denham Springs. What's somewhat interesting, I think, is that even though the rain was historically intensive, in the grand view of the entire state and Gulf Coast it was actually quite limited in area and not any more wide spread than previous rain induced floods. But it was deeper. When I talked to the folks, Fred and Sheron, who bought the house we used to own west of Hammond/Ponchatoula, the water had not approached the house hardly any closer than back in 1995 when more than 20" of rain fell on New Orleans in 24 hours. Back in 1997, I think, the Bayou Choctaw oil storage site outside of Plaquemine was flooded. That was largely from rain that fell around the Baton Rouge area and west and flowed south. In our conversation Sheron said that Bayou Choctaw had not flooded at all from this latest rain.

This was a weird rain and flood. Extremely heavy but very limited in area. The previous rains such as the 1995 one were much larger in area than this last one and flooded a much larger land area but not as deeply.

Sam Mac
08-20-2016, 06:38 PM
Prayer go out to all those affected. Nice to see Mr. President continue to play golf.

DJFaninTN
08-20-2016, 07:51 PM

CapeSpyder
08-20-2016, 08:17 PM
Too.many in my family have been affected by the rain. 34" under my brothers house. Thank god he was smart som many years ago and built 8' up.

CapeSpyder
Sent From my Note 5

AY4B
08-20-2016, 09:23 PM
This disaster is hard to wrap my head around. :shocked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7acntZTkLs

AY4B
08-20-2016, 09:27 PM
The Hurricane season looks like September may bring some to the East coast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_s6W3rx6d4

Orange Spyder Man
08-21-2016, 08:20 AM
yeah... the pres. is working on his game... but ... if you missed it on TV ... Trump did make it... ... ;)

Prayer go out to all those affected. Nice to see Mr. President continue to play golf.

Orange Spyder Man
08-21-2016, 08:26 AM
oops .. you are correct about Walker... I did not go back & check my post before posting... sorry.. it appears the Amite & Pearl river and their drain basins could not handle such an enormous amount of rain fall... which contributed to lots of the flooding... I have a friend that lives in Prairieville we talked yesterday morning and he still had 22" of water inside of his house... be had 2 motorcycles in his garage and both were submerged in water...so many homes are completely lost.. some homes got water up to the roof line... its really heartbreaking for those affected...

osm

Minor correction, Walker is east of BR and Denham Springs. What's somewhat interesting, I think, is that even though the rain was historically intensive, in the grand view of the entire state and Gulf Coast it was actually quite limited in area and not any more wide spread than previous rain induced floods. But it was deeper. When I talked to the folks, Fred and Sheron, who bought the house we used to own west of Hammond/Ponchatoula, the water had not approached the house hardly any closer than back in 1995 when more than 20" of rain fell on New Orleans in 24 hours. Back in 1997, I think, the Bayou Choctaw oil storage site outside of Plaquemine was flooded. That was largely from rain that fell around the Baton Rouge area and west and flowed south. In our conversation Sheron said that Bayou Choctaw had not flooded at all from this latest rain.

This was a weird rain and flood. Extremely heavy but very limited in area. The previous rains such as the 1995 one were much larger in area than this last one and flooded a much larger land area but not as deeply.

AY4B
08-21-2016, 01:50 PM

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/sm/custom/9a9ac53d08.jpg

ARtraveler
08-21-2016, 03:09 PM
Our continued thoughts and :pray::pray::pray: go out to those affected. This has truly been the year of the disaster all over our country.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-21-2016, 05:24 PM

yeah... the pres. is working on his game... but ... if you missed it on TV ... Trump did make it... ... ;)
Think about this for a minute. Every available police officer and emergency services person is undoubtedly busting their butt dealing with the disaster. Every available hotel/motel room is probably occupied by relief workers and disaster victims. OK, now suppose the Prez makes a visit. He can't go anywhere without a huge detail of advance people, including Secret Service. Even in normal times about every off duty police officer is called in to help with security. And for this Prez that has to be pretty heavy considering the level of hatred toward him.

Do you really think it is prudent for him to inject his presence into a situation that is stressed to the walls already? If you ask me, I think he is demonstrating significant consideration for the plight of the disaster affected populace by not coming in right away and stressing them out more. Trump, on the other hand, hasn't reached the point of needing near the advance work and security officers around him as the Prez. But I'll bet there still were many emergency response folks who thought to themselves, "Get him the hell out of our way so we can get our work done!"

vided
08-21-2016, 05:28 PM
That holds no water, jmho

cuznjohn
08-22-2016, 11:53 AM
i was just watching a video of a woman on facebook. her house had 4 feet of water in it, and she had no flood insurance. she said she will re build. out on long island ny. people that were flooded, some of my family were involved, the flood insurance paid for the damage, but told the people, they will not insure them anymore if they didn't raise the house up off the ground. i don't see why people down in la. don't raise their houses the same way. insurance companies should make them do it, if they want flood insurance.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-22-2016, 01:43 PM
i don't see why people down in la. don't raise their houses the same way. insurance companies should make them do it, if they want flood insurance.
Cost is a big reason they haven't, and likely won't. It would be interesting to know how many houses in Denham Springs that flooded were outside of the current flood zone area. A look at the flood zone map shows quite a bit of DS was not in a flood zone. Most of DS is in zone AE which means there was a 1% chance per year that flooding would occur, and about a 26% chance flooding would occur during the life of a 30 year mortgage. With the cost of flood insurance being what it is, and the risk so relatively low, it's quite understandable to me why so many did not have flood insurance. I understand this flood reached elevations above the 100 year flood zone area.

The house I owned outside of Hammond was not in the flood zone, but water came within about 1 or 2 feet elevation and 300 feet distance of it more than once in the 15 years I lived there. I did not have flood insurance.

Bob Denman
08-22-2016, 02:47 PM
Here's a good reason for not raising a structure...
If you are in an area that Is prone to hurricanes (I don't know if this is the case for the affected area...); raising a home makes it FAR more susceptible to damage from high winds... :yikes:

Jabbo
08-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Not the Pearl. It was the Amite, Tangipahoa and Jones Creek that were flooded. Pearl runs down the Stateline into Lake Borne.

cuznjohn
08-23-2016, 11:38 AM
Here's a good reason for not raising a structure...
If you are in an area that Is prone to hurricanes (I don't know if this is the case for the affected area...); raising a home makes it FAR more susceptible to damage from high winds... :yikes:

from the last storm bob, they raised a lot of homes, that were all rated to hurricane standards

Bob Denman
08-23-2016, 11:43 AM
:shocked: As I've gotten... less young: I've come to not necessarily believe what "the experts" have to say. I almost have to see some independent confirmation, or I stick with my own in-expert instincts.
Having said that: the insurance companies have actuaries that can point to the increased damage that happens to a building, when you let the wind get up underneath it. nojoke

It's more a case of "picking your poison".
Either build to prevent it from washing away; or blowing away... Doing both is pretty darn tough.

CapeSpyder
08-23-2016, 02:08 PM
Both of my brothers house and camp are up the home is 8ft up and 0 damage from katrina in maurepas,la and the camp which is between the lakes is almost 6ft up and 400.00 in total damage from katrina. I have to belive that being up is better if built right.

CapeSpyder
Sent From my Note 5

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-23-2016, 02:10 PM
If you ask me, I think he is demonstrating significant consideration for the plight of the disaster affected populace by not coming in right away and stressing them out more.

That holds no water, jmho
Comments by the Governor of Louisiana on August 18.

From http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/08/john_bel_edwards_now_is_not_th.html

Edwards said a presidential visit could cause additional problems for flood recovery efforts. *****'s motorcade requires many roadways to be shutdown -- and many local streets are still closed because of the flooding. Also, a presidential visit puts a strain on law enforcement. First responders shouldn't be pulled away to deal with *****, when they are needed for search and rescue missions still, Edwards said.

From http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/politics/article_18893692-657f-11e6-b84c-07aecd4409b8.html

Edwards, a Democrat, said that those trips, plus near daily communication with the White House, has shown that the flooding is a priority for the federal government. He said a visit from *****, which would require heightened security and road closures, would be a drain on resources as the state still works to respond to the flood. "Quite frankly, that's not something I want to go through right now," Edwards said. "I would just as soon he wait a week or two."