PDA

View Full Version : recall

spyder1012
03-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Got home tonite and had a message on the machine from my dealer. Said there was a recall on the "angle position sensor"? At least thats what I thought I heard. Anyone ever heard of this?

ataDude
03-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Ah, ha. That may be the Gear Position Sensor which has been causing (IMHO) some of the intermittent steering issues generally on 2008 roadsters made before about September of last year.

See this thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7831

Update: I just checked the DOT/NHTSA web site for "official" recalls... nothing there except our few complaints.

Got home tonite and had a message on the machine from my dealer. Said there was a recall on the "angle position sensor"? At least thats what I thought I heard. Anyone ever heard of this?

AMTJIM
03-25-2009, 08:39 PM
I see there is a service bulletin for leaky brake resevoir caps.

ataDude
03-25-2009, 08:41 PM
I just checked spyder.brp.com, too. Nothing there, either.

smokster
03-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Is yours a PE # ?
If so, what number?

NancysToy
03-25-2009, 09:12 PM
I see there is a service bulletin for leaky brake resevoir caps.
These were only the very early issue Spyders.
-Scotty

czdaryle
03-26-2009, 06:50 AM
Man, I have one of the first non-pe models...wonder if that will be included. Anyway I'm glad they are doing a recall on this part so there is no fooling around with the dealer

spyder1012
03-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Just spoke to dealer and he's calling it an "angle rotation sensor" and that it IS related to the power steering. This is the first one that he has done so he's not 100% sure what it's all about but believes BRP is trying to solve the power steering problem with this fix and if there are still problems with the power steering they'll know this in not the problem. This is about a $100 fix and should take 18 min. to install as opposed to a $1000, multiple hour power steering fix. I believe this is the sensor that detects wheel lift while going into a corner.

smokster
03-26-2009, 09:09 AM
-Scotty
I have 294,so that would be me.
Had no sterring issues to date though.

Firefly
03-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Just spoke to dealer and he's calling it an "angle rotation sensor" and that it IS related to the power steering. This is the first one that he has done so he's not 100% sure what it's all about but believes BRP is trying to solve the power steering problem with this fix and if there are still problems with the power steering they'll know this in not the problem. This is about a $100 fix and should take 18 min. to install as opposed to a $1000, multiple hour power steering fix. I believe this is the sensor that detects wheel lift while going into a corner.

No, it's the gear position sensor - down near the front sprocket - tells the DPS what gear you're in - has nothing to do with wheel lift.

Just Doo Me
03-26-2009, 11:41 AM
-Scotty
Mine got codes for brake failure caused from leaking brake res. caps. Dealer just topped it up and sent me on my way.:sour:Ended up shimming the cap and has been good since.Purchased in Aug.08 after the P.E. Brake fluid left faint marks in the frame paint by the pegs.I read about the recall much later.

spyder1012
03-26-2009, 01:52 PM
GREAT NEWS!!

BRP screwed up and sent the wrong list to my dealer. After spending yesterday calling all of his customers to inform them of the recall, he had to call all of them back and tell them there was no recall. Well, there is but only on specific VIN numbers, which mine is not. For a minute there I thought BRP was actually doing the right thing. Great product, terrible company.

bjt
03-26-2009, 07:10 PM

GREAT NEWS!!

BRP screwed up and sent the wrong list to my dealer. After spending yesterday calling all of his customers to inform them of the recall, he had to call all of them back and tell them there was no recall. Well, there is but only on specific VIN numbers, which mine is not. For a minute there I thought BRP was actually doing the right thing. Great product, terrible company.

No offense but I'm confused by these two posts. :dontknow: I'm not necessarily defending everything that BRP does with their business but yesterday you didn't even know what the angle position sensor was or what it did and today you say they are a terrible company because they aren't going to replace yours? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your first statement.

spyder1012
03-27-2009, 06:44 PM
In my original post, I was excited to think that BRP was stepping up to do the right thing and replace a part that they know MAY cause a problem. Then, as my dealer goes to order the part, he finds out that, oops those bikes should not have been on the list. He spend an entire day calling customers to set up appointments, and then another day calling them back to tell everyone to disregard and in his words "feel like an idiot". Let me make clear that there is nothing wrong with my spyder, nor has there been in the year since I've owned it. But I am a long time Ski-doo owner that replaced an engine a couple years ago because of bad piston rings that they new were bad when they built the sled, but I never found out about it until after it was out of warranty. I'm getting the same vibe here. There are enough people that are claiming problems with a peticular componant of the bike and they just don't seem interested. So am I going to be replacing a $1000 plus steering system in 2 years because its out of warranty? Since I replaced that motor I've bought a brand new MXZ and the spyder, about $30,000 worth of products. All totaled I've owned 17 products that were made by BRP. Like I said before, I love their products but the company doesn't seem to step up when it should. Sorry for the confusion in the posts.

dltang
03-27-2009, 07:03 PM
In my original post, I was excited to think that BRP was stepping up to do the right thing and replace a part that they know MAY cause a problem. Then, as my dealer goes to order the part, he finds out that, oops those bikes should not have been on the list. He spend an entire day calling customers to set up appointments, and then another day calling them back to tell everyone to disregard and in his words "feel like an idiot". Let me make clear that there is nothing wrong with my spyder, nor has there been in the year since I've owned it. But I am a long time Ski-doo owner that replaced an engine a couple years ago because of bad piston rings that they new were bad when they built the sled, but I never found out about it until after it was out of warranty. I'm getting the same vibe here. There are enough people that are claiming problems with a peticular componant of the bike and they just don't seem interested. So am I going to be replacing a $1000 plus steering system in 2 years because its out of warranty? Since I replaced that motor I've bought a brand new MXZ and the spyder, about $30,000 worth of products. All totaled I've owned 17 products that were made by BRP. Like I said before, I love their products but the company doesn't seem to step up when it should. Sorry for the confusion in the posts.

It has been my personal experience that BRP may not step up as loudly as they should or could but they do step up. It is then up to your dealer to take care of you. It seems they prefer to work through the dealers rather than directly with individuals (not uncommon for most manufacturers). At one of our first services we had our parking brakes fixed under warranty or recall or whatever it was and the dealer is the one who told us, we did not go to him or hear from BRP. The same with our brake pad squeal problems, they offered a "fix" at the time when we came in for service. Also, now with this Gear Position Sensor, BRP is fixing and replacing this under warranty. So I do not think they are really dropping the ball, just laying low.

bjt
03-27-2009, 08:34 PM
It has been my personal experience that BRP may not step up as loudly as they should or could but they do step up. It is then up to your dealer to take care of you. It seems they prefer to work through the dealers rather than directly with individuals (not uncommon for most manufacturers). At one of our first services we had our parking brakes fixed under warranty or recall or whatever it was and the dealer is the one who told us, we did not go to him or hear from BRP. The same with our brake pad squeal problems, they offered a "fix" at the time when we came in for service. Also, now with this Gear Position Sensor, BRP is fixing and replacing this under warranty. So I do not think they are really dropping the ball, just laying low.

Some of those things you mentioned are me working behind the scenes on your behalf hunny. :D I told them about the upgraded parking brake hardware (I learned about them from reading the forums) and requested that they get a couple for our Spyders for the next time they came in. Similar thing with the brake squeal. When we were there, they talked us into getting the new pads but I asked them to do the brake quiet treatment on our old pads when we were thinking about bringing the bikes in.

dltang
03-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Some of those things you mentioned are me working behind the scenes on your behalf hunny. :D I told them about the upgraded parking brake hardware (I learned about them from reading the forums) and requested that they get a couple for our Spyders for the next time they came in. Similar thing with the brake squeal. When we were there, they talked us into getting the new pads but I asked them to do the brake quiet treatment on our old pads when we were thinking about bringing the bikes in.

I am so lucky that I have you to take care of me. It is nice though that our dealer will listen to the things we learn on the forums and then contact BRP and get results. You just keep doing what you are doing honey, I love you.

ataDude
03-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Oh, get a motel room, will ya? :clap:

I am so lucky that I have you to take care of me. It is nice though that our dealer will listen to the things we learn on the forums and then contact BRP and get results. You just keep doing what you are doing honey, I love you.