PDA

View Full Version : Blue smoke on start up

Spyderrider72
08-17-2016, 06:49 PM
I have a 2014 rts limited and when she sits for a few days and I start her she blows blue smoke, like starting a ski doo and the breaks squeal. Does anyone else have this problem? She's got 900km on her and it's been doing it since she left the shop and gas been back in 3 times. Brp says drive it and we'll see what happens and if it gets worse bring her back. I just feel really Leary on driving a machine that's smoking like that.

Chupaca
08-17-2016, 09:15 PM
Seems oil may be leaking into the combustion chamber. Not common on a new engine and have not heard of it on the 2014's. This may come from a variety of places but it does seem that telling you to keep driving is a bit odd. Now if brp is aware of this and they agree with this recommendation or it came from them you could continue to ryde it and see if it clears up. Sometimes the rings in the cylinder can line up and allow oil through or it is coming in through the intake. Maybe those with that engine will have some other angles on why this is happening..Clean the discs for the squeaky brakes issue...:thumbup:

SteveLaoyster
08-17-2016, 09:22 PM
Leaking valve seals will cause blue smoke when you first start an overhead valve engine.

PaladinLV
08-17-2016, 09:46 PM
The breaks on all RTs squeal!

AJ

I have a 2014 rts limited and when she sits for a few days and I start her she blows blue smoke, like starting a ski doo and the breaks squeal. Does anyone else have this problem? She's got 900km on her and it's been doing it since she left the shop and gas been back in 3 times. Brp says drive it and we'll see what happens and if it gets worse bring her back. I just feel really Leary on driving a machine that's smoking like that.

Ex-Rocket
08-17-2016, 09:50 PM

AJ

Mine don't :yes::yes::yes:

garb55
08-17-2016, 10:04 PM
QUOTE=Ex-Rocket;1170234]Mine don't :yes::yes::yes:[/QUOTE]

:agree::agree::agree:0

Lew L
08-17-2016, 10:27 PM
My BRAKES don't squeal on the '14 RTS. Never have.

Squeeky brakes can cause:::::
Kaos

SilverFox1
08-17-2016, 11:40 PM
My brakes don't squeal and never did on a 2011 RT Ltd!
SilverFox

jerpinoy
08-18-2016, 12:51 AM
Blue smoke is bad news and I agree that it must have oil leak somewhere. BRP might be right, ring may need to seat properly. Let us know how it goes.

Peter Aawen
08-18-2016, 04:03 AM
Hmm, blue smoke!! Doesn't sound good, does it! But the Dealer told you not to worry & to go ahead & ride it?!? Orright, I'd suggest that's a pretty good idea!! So get out there & give it stick!! When's the first service due?? 3000 miles? That's plenty of time to give it heaps, use EVERY BIT of the rev range, test out top speed, find out what happens if you hit max revs in first gear (& second, & third, etc, etc, etc!!) but don't flog it, just make it work a bit throughout its range. At the worst, it'll kill it while the engine's still under warranty & you'll get a new motor, hopefully one that doesn't blow oily smoke out on start-up; but it's probably more likely to bed everything in properly & just resolve the blue smoke issue over time & work! :thumbup:

There was a time when running an engine too gently during the bed-in period was renowned for resulting in this sort of thing, and to avoid that, manufacturers specified 'bedding-in oil' & specified rev ranges & working the engine thru it's whole rev range without thrashing it during the running in period specifically to avoid creating the issue you now have!! So I'd guess there's a good chance that it's either a dud engine or the result of something you've been doing - maybe you've been using that Eco Mode thing too much & treating it gently; I don't know that but regardless, chances are that if it's not actually a dud engine (& that will be revealed by hard running over time) then you've just been too gentle so far!! So give it heaps for a bit & see what happens! Either way, you'll end up better off in the long run! ;)

GearHd
08-18-2016, 04:51 AM
Like someone else said, blue smoke on start up is valve seals. Blue smoke once it's running a while is piston rings.

Bob Denman
08-18-2016, 07:02 AM
Nobody has asked you how many miles are on the bike...
Well? :dontknow:

beefybudds
08-18-2016, 07:25 AM
Nobody has asked you how many miles are on the bike...
Well? :dontknow:
Well I'm thinking since he said he had 900km on it that would be 559 miles.

Pirate looks at --
08-18-2016, 07:28 AM

You need to take the Bong away from the Motorcycle!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Pirate looks at --
08-18-2016, 07:31 AM

AJ
Just not true!

Bob Denman
08-18-2016, 07:54 AM
Well I'm thinking since he said he had 900km on it that would be 559 miles.
:opps: I missed that... Sorry! :opps:

The bike's not broke in yet: it needs to be ridden enough to give the rings a chance to get happy with their new home... :thumbup:

Ex-Rocket
08-18-2016, 09:36 AM
When I purchased my first :spyder2:, a 2012 RTS, I had the same thing happen to mine. Upon start up I would get some blue smoke. I talked to the service manager and he said about the same thing, just ride it and keep an eye on the oil level. They did open a case file with BRP. I traded my bike with only 7500 miles and at that time no blue smoke anymore. Things sometimes have to seat themselves during break in.

Highwayman2013
08-18-2016, 09:45 AM
How much oil is in it? Could it be overfilled?