PDA

View Full Version : Hot Handlebars

wanderingman
08-16-2016, 11:02 AM
I have a 2015RTS. When I ride the handle bar covers as well as the key get very hot. The outside ambient temp varies between 80degrees F and the high 90s, The variation in ambient temp does not seem to affect the handlebar temp. No the hand grip heat is not on, but the covers and key feel as if the grip heat is on high. Is this simply normal? Possibly the black surface absorbing the suns heat?

SpyderAnn01
08-16-2016, 11:26 AM
If you wore gloves you wouldn't have an issue. Proper riding gear including boots and gloves not only protect you in the event of a crash but also offer additional protection while riding, like keeping the heat off you.

Bob Denman
08-16-2016, 11:28 AM
If it's a Black handlebar cover: you could be feeling the effects of the absorbed heat from the Sunlight... nojoke
:agree: Wear gloves, and it becomes a non-issue. :thumbup:

Alwaysonwheels
08-16-2016, 11:38 AM
I have a 2015RTS. When I ride the handle bar covers as well as the key get very hot. The outside ambient temp varies between 80degrees F and the high 90s, The variation in ambient temp does not seem to affect the handlebar temp. No the hand grip heat is not on, but the covers and key feel as if the grip heat is on high. Is this simply normal? Possibly the black surface absorbing the suns heat?

There is a lot of heat that comes up in that area from the motor.

Cruzr Joe
08-16-2016, 05:22 PM
Buy the foam grips from Spyderpops and cure that problem very easily

http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-a0lab8c/products/131/images/422/IMG_03412__38540.1447201321.200.200.JPG?c=2

www.spyderpops.com

Cruzr Joe

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-16-2016, 05:38 PM
Buy the foam grips from Spyderpops and cure that problem very easily

http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-a0lab8c/products/131/images/422/IMG_03412__38540.1447201321.200.200.JPG?c=2

www.spyderpops.com (http://www.spyderpops.com)

Cruzr Joe
So, He's supposed to put the foam grip covers over His Key and Handlebar covers !!!! ... I think that would look ridiculous....:yikes:...:roflblack::roflblack::rof lblack:............................Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
08-16-2016, 07:59 PM
All the panels, seat, bars etc get hot when out in the sun and even when not that hot. They do cool down as you ryde but if in stop and go it can get bad. The gloves will help but the best things is not to hang on to the hot parts....:roflblack:

Cruzr Joe
08-16-2016, 08:27 PM
So, He's supposed to put the foam grip covers over His Key and Handlebar covers !!!! ... I think that would look ridiculous....:yikes:...:roflblack::roflblack::rof lblack:............................Mike :thumbup:

Almost as ridiculous as you being a Vendor at a Spyder event. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Cruzr Joe

trucker1
08-16-2016, 08:40 PM
There's a lot of heat off the engine and black just makes it worse. Wear some mesh gloves with palm padding on them. When you stop throw a half cover on it if you have one. or a large white towel works also over the windshield and down over the handlebars. That way it lets the heat out and keeps the sun off as well. You can use potato chip bag clips to keep it held onto the windshield. It looks kind dumb but what the heck. It works.

Mazo EMS2
08-17-2016, 03:22 PM
Almost as ridiculous as you being a Vendor at a Spyder event. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Cruzr Joe

Oh Geez...here we go again...LOL. You two bicker like an old married couple. :yes::popcorn:
Back on track though, are you absolutely positive that your grips are not heating due to a short or faulty switch? Rare I'm sure, but anything's possible. I've got a black RT, and the only thing that gets that HOT, is an empty seat, in the sun, while we take a break. Even that tho is cool after a minute of sitting on it.

Pirate looks at --
08-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Oh Geez...here we go again...LOL. You two bicker like an old married couple. :yes::popcorn:
Back on track though, are you absolutely positive that your grips are not heating due to a short or faulty switch? Rare I'm sure, but anything's possible. I've got a black RT, and the only thing that gets that HOT, is an empty seat, in the sun, while we take a break. Even that tho is cool after a minute of sitting on it.

I am sure they are not married. Joe used to have a picture of him and his wife on his avatar, and I can tell you, he married up! And she is much prettier than Mike's Avatar!:roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-17-2016, 05:02 PM
:agree: :D
As far as a short circuit heating up the cover: I think that you'd be throwing all sorts of error messages if that happened.
Wouldn't it fire across all of the controls and sensors in the bars? :dontknow:

wanderingman
08-18-2016, 08:50 AM
If you wore gloves you wouldn't have an issue. Proper riding gear including boots and gloves not only protect you in the event of a crash but also offer additional protection while riding, like keeping the heat off you.

I appreciate your reply, but it is not a problem of burning my hands. I am an old rider both in motorcycle experience and age. Although I do not always practice your recommendation, I do not disagree with it. My concern is that there is electrical wiring inside those covers. What I am experiencing may be normal. If not I don't want damage.

wanderingman
08-18-2016, 09:00 AM
:agree: :D
As far as a short circuit heating up the cover: I think that you'd be throwing all sorts of error messages if that happened.
Wouldn't it fire across all of the controls and sensors in the bars? :dontknow:

Bob, I believe that you have probably hit on the correct answer. Yesterday I rode with it down to a cool 80 degrees. Much less heat. There in no problem with it burning me. I don't hold the key nor the covers while riding. I was simply concerned about the heat doing damage. I have owned or ridden many other (2 wheeled) motorcycles and never experienced this. Of course none of them had handle bar covers nor all of the Tupperware this one has. I appreciate the replys and even got a few laughs out of the bickering. This site has given me a lot of information regarding both Spyders and the nature of the riders. Thanks to all of you.

Bob Denman
08-18-2016, 10:54 AM
:D Thanks for checking back in, with some good news! :thumbup:

Deer Slayer
08-18-2016, 04:25 PM
:D Thanks for checking back in, with some good news! :thumbup:
Bob, does all the hot air in this web page make heat?:roflblack: