PDA

View Full Version : Corbin vs Russell?

Capt John
03-25-2009, 01:50 PM
I've been on a Corbin seat. It was on a Spyder at the dealer. I did not find it very comfortable. Does it get better with more "sitting" time? What about the Russell Day-Long? Would like opinions from owners of each.
Thanks

zzneonzz
03-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I've been on a Corbin seat. It was on a Spyder at the dealer. I did not find it very comfortable. Does it get better with more "sitting" time? What about the Russell Day-Long? Would like opinions from owners of each.
Thanks

The corbin does get better with time. Corbin tells you to put 2000 miles on the saddle before making a decision about adjustments and such. I will say that mine is very comfortable.

bjt
03-25-2009, 05:30 PM
My Russell felt great right from the start. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: As far as I know, there is no stated or implied "break-in" mileage needed for a Russell seat. They do offer a fit / comfort warranty if you do have issues with it

Lamonster
03-25-2009, 05:33 PM
If you have a stock butt the stock seat feels great.
If you have a Corbin butt the Corbin seat feels great.
If you have a Russell butt the Russell seat feels great.

Bottomline ;) is what kind of butt do you have? nojoke

wukka
03-25-2009, 05:34 PM
My Corbin felt great right from the start. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I guess our perception of comfort is as different as the shape of our butts! :p

Major Finder
03-25-2009, 05:35 PM
I have found my Corbin seat very comfortable. It seems as if I can travel farther without the rider fatigue. The seat is new and I only have about 200+ miles on it and am expecting it to get better with more miles. My wife and I are planning a trip on the Oregon Trail this summer and that will place our butts on seats well in excess of the 2000 miles Corbin recommends to break them in for comfort. My wife has complained about sliding forward on her seat but I don't mind.

I thought the Corbin seat was so comfortable that on the cold snowy days that I couldn't ryde, I would just sit on the Spyder in the garage and have a cigar. Life would be better if I could move the Spyder into the house in front of the big screen TV and smoke a cigar inside. That will never happen while I'm married.

wukka
03-25-2009, 05:35 PM

Man! I sure am glad that Mustang doesn't make a seat for the Spyder. :D

bigiron
03-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I have put about 300 mi on my Russell I like it. My passenger (wife) may like it better than me.

Donzo
03-25-2009, 05:42 PM
I put a Corbin on my Shadow Sabre and it took a month of heavy riding before it was comfortable - it was an improvement from the stock seat but on long rides - my butt would get numb.

I was going to get a Corbin for the Spyder, but, I came to the realization......I have been on several long (300mi+) rides and my butt never hurt......So I have decided to keep the stock seat - that saved $ will soon be spent on other mods.....:f_spider:

hawkiii
03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
I have my heart set on a Russell myself. I would like to ride up and do the same day fit and build. I think I could make a fun couple of days out of that.

NancysToy
03-25-2009, 07:03 PM

Seems like a very personal question there at the end, but I couldn't have put this better if I tried. You silver-tongued devil, you!
-Scotty

burg650
03-25-2009, 07:15 PM
What about these guys ( http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/SpyderSeat.htm (http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/SpyderSeat.htm) ) they take your stock seat and modify it by changing the foam and also changing the vinyl , they claim that when it is done it will be night and day difference. I am thinking of giving them a try, the cost is not bad.

Trickie Dick
03-25-2009, 08:59 PM
I put an AirHawk cushion on the stock seat. Took a little adjusting to get it right but helped me alot. May be a little early for any final grades since I've only ridden it on a hundred miler. No real long distance yet. trying not to spend 6-8 hundred if I can help it.

katnapper
03-25-2009, 09:13 PM
What Great info on here, thanks for sharing!

Don in E Texas
03-26-2009, 09:14 AM
"I'd rather be on 3 wheels, but 18 pays the BILLS
Hmm wonder how a KW emblem would look on a Spyder"

...or a Freightliner emblem? Truck used for many years to pull RV -- sold and now have Spyder:spyder:

This thread is about seats; so far I think I'll keep the stock seat until my butt tells me different.:bowdown:

don

dltang
03-26-2009, 12:37 PM
So far my Russell has been a great choice. I will tell you more after the Niagara Falls trip and going for a 5 hour trip. I only sat on a new Corbin twice so I really can't compare but for the price we got the Russells and having them made to our specifications, I don't think I would do it any differently. As Lamont stated though, everyone i

dltang
03-26-2009, 12:38 PM
So far my Russell has been a great choice. I will tell you more after the Niagara Falls trip and going for a 5 hour trip. I only sat on a new Corbin twice so I really can't compare but for the price we got the Russells and having them made to our specifications, I don't think I would do it any differently. As Lamont stated though, everyone is different and you have to really choose for yourself based on your personal likes and comfort.

tatt2r
03-26-2009, 03:50 PM

my girls got a butt like a small basketball ... so should we use a basketball for a seat ...or maybe a net cuz she keeps rolling off the corbin...other than that we like the drivers seat:coffee:

tatt2r
03-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Seems like a very personal question there at the end, but I couldn't have put this better if I tried. You silver-tounged devil, you!
-Scotty

silver-tounged devil...HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH:D:2thumbs:

tatt2r
03-26-2009, 03:55 PM
What about these guys ( http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/SpyderSeat.htm (http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/SpyderSeat.htm) ) they take your stock seat and modify it by changing the foam and also changing the vinyl , they claim that when it is done it will be night and day difference. I am thinking of giving them a try, the cost is not bad.

Almost looks like cover BRP sells:coffee:

Dudley
03-26-2009, 05:31 PM
The corbin does get better with time. Corbin tells you to put 2000 miles on the saddle before making a decision about adjustments and such. I will say that mine is very comfortable.

I only weigh 140, so what kind of a dent can I put on my Corbin??? Wife and I really like ours. Have over 2000 miles on it and still find it a good choice. We did the one day ride-in service and had it built for us.

captainryder
03-26-2009, 05:52 PM
We followed dltang and went with Russell Day Long. It was perfect for me, but my wife's butt might be a Corbin.

Russell will compress and adjust about 5% over 30-40 hours in the saddle. It's stiffer on the edges, but the bigger "bowl" seems to give better support to hips.

Problem my wife has is that the edge of the seat is elevated extending further up towards the legs. When you sit as a passenger, that tends to put pressure on the underside of her thighs and some numbing. She's hoping it will soften out. Some of this is because of the way a passenger has to sit on a Spyder not fault of Russell. There just isn't any room to make a comfortable passenger seat.

bjt
03-26-2009, 07:54 PM

After reading the website a bit, I would describe these guys as Russell "lite". Same basic process as Russell but they don't do it to the extreme that Russell, or for that matter Corbin, does. Both Russell and Corbin have a more bowl shaped seating surface for the ryder and Russell makes a completely new foam piece for the seat upgrade. Sounds cool, looks good and that price seems right if the seat works for you.

bjt
03-26-2009, 08:01 PM
We followed dltang and went with Russell Day Long. It was perfect for me, but my wife's butt might be a Corbin.

Russell will compress and adjust about 5% over 30-40 hours in the saddle. It's stiffer on the edges, but the bigger "bowl" seems to give better support to hips.

Problem my wife has is that the edge of the seat is elevated extending further up towards the legs. When you sit as a passenger, that tends to put pressure on the underside of her thighs and some numbing. She's hoping it will soften out. Some of this is because of the way a passenger has to sit on a Spyder not fault of Russell. There just isn't any room to make a comfortable passenger seat.

Did you contact them about their comfort or fit guarantee? I thought they were supposed to try to make it great for both of you if you ordered a rider and passenger upgrade.

NancysToy
03-26-2009, 09:30 PM

I have the same problem as your wife. If a seat is too wide, or the edges too high, my legs go numb. That may be acceptable riding a Spyder, but it makes it a real bear to hold up a BMW at a stoplight, I wanna tell you! The stock Spyder seat works fine for me, but I never rode pillion. Guess I get categorized as a BRP backside. That alone is scary!
-Scotty