PDA

View Full Version : Dead Spyder

Horsecobbler
08-10-2016, 10:02 PM
Just completed a trip from Topeka to Chicago via Wisconsin with no problems 3 weeks ago. Parked the spyder in the garage for 3 weeks and now it is dead. Purchases a new battery and installed it. The motor turns over but will not fire/start. Can anyone point me if a direction to look. I am usually a fair mechanic and I suspect someone has had this problem before. Next step is to get in on a trailer and 150 miles each way to a dealer.

Horsecobbler
08-10-2016, 10:04 PM
I forgot to mention the details, 2012 RT/E. Did I damage something when i tried to jump start the engine?

billybovine
08-10-2016, 10:34 PM
Try Wide Open Throttle Start. Do every thing you would do for a normal start except twist the wide open and hold it there. Then press the start button. Let it crank for 30 seconds. Allow the starter to cool and do a normal start. May have to do this multiple times.

noboot
08-10-2016, 10:42 PM
The last time I see this it was the Kill switch that was on. I know it's a silly question but have you checked it?

4 MARIE
08-10-2016, 10:49 PM
I forgot to mention the details, 2012 RT/E. Did I damage something when i tried to jump start the engine?

you did fail to tell us what model and stuff, and NOWHERE did you mention jump starting either. Generally speaking, you absolutely can
do "harm" with a too large jump.
I don't know anything about the twins, but am glad it got you home safe.

garb55
08-10-2016, 11:17 PM
The last time I see this it was the Kill switch that was on. I know it's a silly question but have you checked it?

OP said motor turns over
Kill switch will not alow motor to turn over

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-11-2016, 12:07 AM
Check battery terminals if loose tighten - annnnnnnnnd I would get some STAR washers ( w/inside teeth ) and put them on the bolts.........Be careful about jump starting ...... DO NOT HAVE THE JUMPING VEHICLE ....RUNNING .....and I would not crank the starter motor for more than 15 seconds at a time ---- jmho........Mike :thumbup:

Horsecobbler
08-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Try Wide Open Throttle Start. Do every thing you would do for a normal start except tand hold it there. Then press the start button. Let it crank for 30 seconds. Allow the starter to cool and do a normal start. May have to do this multiple times.

:clap::clap::clap::thumbup:

Throttle wide open for a full 30 seconds finally got it started. Thanks a million!

Pirate looks at --
08-11-2016, 09:22 AM
If you do jump it from a car, make sure that the car is not running at the time! Sounds like you are back on that road! Good luck!:clap:

Chupaca
08-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the update...Glad billybovine's advise got you started and back on the road. You may be wise to get a battery tender for the RT's tend to loose voltage over time. Three weeks may be too long on your battery not being run...:thumbup: