PDA

View Full Version : RT rear shock install - time to install

Chrisluckey
08-09-2016, 02:40 PM
2016 RTS. How many hours should it take to replace stock rear shock with new Elka stage 2?I've looked on the forums and on YouTube, and can't seem to find any newer RT installs. I'm thinking about having my local Can Am dealer do the install and want to make sure they charge me a fair price. Thanks

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-09-2016, 03:20 PM
If you are lucky .... you will only be charged " shop manual hours " , but since they might consider this a " CUSTOM job " the sky could be the limit........... In stead of asking US ( which is meaningless ) get them to give you a FIRM quote ...... then you can shop that around........jmho......Mike :thumbup:

gazunni
08-10-2016, 06:49 PM
Had the Elka Rear shock installed on my 2016 RT Limited during first service at my CanAm Dealer. Total cost was $400 Canadian including oil, filters, front tire balancing and Elka Shock install. Just looked at receipt and they charged me 1 hour labor or $99 to install the Elka. I think that was very reasonable.

2016 RTS. How many hours should it take to replace stock rear shock with new Elka stage 2?I've looked on the forums and on YouTube, and can't seem to find any newer RT installs. I'm thinking about having my local Can Am dealer do the install and want to make sure they charge me a fair price. Thanks

Chrisluckey
08-11-2016, 02:55 PM
The Elka rear shock replacement took one hour on the RTS and the shop fee was $120.

RudyB
10-15-2017, 09:19 PM
The Elka rear shock replacement took one hour on the RTS and the shop fee was $120.
So I take it that to replace rear shock it can be done without removing rear wheel Thanks

irvin48
10-16-2017, 10:39 AM
you might consider havig doc humphreys air bag rock guard at the same time.
or does this shock not use air assist?

Igofshn
10-17-2017, 09:52 PM
My dealer quoted 2 hours. I did it in about an hour, maybe a little less.

Chupaca
10-17-2017, 10:09 PM
A one hour job times the hourly rate at your shop...as Mike stated not being an oem shock they may try for more . Only two bolts hold it in placeno matter which shock you put in...:thumbup:

Purple Guy
10-18-2017, 07:21 AM
So I take it that to replace rear shock it can be done without removing rear wheel Thanks

Yes it can be done without removing the rear tire.
Here's a link to a short video I did replacing the shock...
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?104461-Rear-Shock-Install-Video

RDM
10-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Is the Elk an air shock or does it eliminate the air ride system and if so what do you do with the air ride parts?