PDA

View Full Version : Updated airflow panels question

roofus7044
08-09-2016, 10:07 AM
I do not currently own a spyder but I am planning on looking at a 2013 STS sometime this week. I wanted to see if anyone here could help point out what the updated airflow panels look like so that I can tell if this had been done. Any help either through pictures or a description would be greatly appreciated.

billybovine
08-09-2016, 10:32 AM
2013 ST original

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/2013-Can-Am-Spyder-ST.jpg
2014 ST with the added scoops. That is what you looking for on a 2013 ST

http://st.motortrend.ca/uploads/sites/42/2014/01/2014-Can-Am-Spyder-ST-white.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&fit=around%7C660%3A413&crop=660%3A413%3B%2A%2C%2A

roofus7044
08-09-2016, 11:29 AM
Thanks!! That is a huge help. I tried searching the forum but couldn't make out the difference.

ingramwc
08-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Good luck with your new ride!!! I hope the panels are already on it!!!!! I had that done to mine, as have many others here.
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!
Take care and ride safe!!!!

Dstrat
09-14-2016, 07:06 PM
I bought a '13 STL in April, used, from a dealer, no extended warranty. And no updated airflow panels. I know, I am new to this and didn't do enough homework, didn't know about that issue.

So here is my question:
Is it harmful to the motor not to have them on?

I contacted BRP who says a dealer has to request the upgraded panels and my dealer said it isn't too hot or causing damage so they won't initiate the request.

It had 6500 miles on it in April, and I have put another 3000 miles on it so far. I have felt the heat on my ankles, but can deal with it as long as I wear my long pants and boots, which I always do as an ATGATT girl anyway.

question 2:
If I decide to just buy the panels myself, did I read it right that it is an easy swap with no trimming needed on the ST? If so, I might just do that.

billybovine
09-14-2016, 07:16 PM
Yes you can buy them yourself. Cheaper and easier in a kit form. There are different part numbers for different colors. Maybe someone could post that info for you.

I think you should go back to your dealer for another try. It's really too hot to ride. ;) You could pass out from the heat. ;)

I bought a '13 STL in April, used, from a dealer, no extended warranty. And no updated airflow panels. I know, I am new to this and didn't do enough homework, didn't know about that issue.

So here is my question:

I contacted BRP who says a dealer has to request the upgraded panels and my dealer said it isn't too hot or causing damage so they won't initiate the request.

It had 6500 miles on it in April, and I have put another 3000 miles on it so far. I have felt the heat on my ankles, but can deal with it as long as I wear my long pants and boots, which I always do as an ATGATT girl anyway.

question 2:
If I decide to just buy the panels myself, did I read it right that it is an easy swap with no trimming needed on the ST? If so, I might just do that.

Haze
09-14-2016, 09:08 PM
I had the panels replaced by the dealer on my 13 STS.
Initially the dealer was reluctant and told me they had to measure temperatures etc.
Second time I asked they made the request to CAN-AM without any fuss and got the change approved in 2 days.
The dealer gets paid by CAN-AM to make the change. No cost to you. Your dealer is being unreasonable.

Then I also crashed my ST after the change and had to replace my front end thru insurance. I bought the 4 required panels and did the installation myself. Easy to install. No cutting or trimming. Just have to reuse the inset panels for the "scoops". Panels can be ordered by color. Check the color codes on the 2014 parts list. My Spyder is Circuit Yellow. PM me if you need p/n or help ordering. Best option is to go back to the dealer or find another dealer. The 2104 panels are a must upgrade for your well being.
Cheers, David C.

Explorer
09-14-2016, 09:15 PM
1. Read and print all the past posts about other people getting them replaced under warranty.
2. Show them to the dealer's service mgr.
3. Stress that BRP will pay him to put them on.
4. Mention that you will be coming to him for future service.
5. If they still refuse find a new dealer.
6. Do not pay for them yourself.
Good Luck
Roger

ARtraveler
09-15-2016, 01:59 AM

So here is my question:

question 2:

There is no reason the dealer should not initiate a request for the panels. There determination that you do not have enough heat is making the BS meter top out.

loisk
09-15-2016, 02:04 AM
Just one little point to add - YES get the airflow panels - it will help stop all the rubber/plastic bits underneath "cooking" in and around the engine bay.

I agree, your dealer is not up to speed.
If they don't come to the party, try another dealer or better still contact BRP Care direct.

Bob Denman
09-15-2016, 07:39 AM
Here's another quick side by side picture...

MelloYelloSpyder
09-15-2016, 09:21 AM

So here is my question:

question 2:

BS...who is the dealer to tell you what is too hot for you. Call BRP open up a case with them then go to your dealer with the case number they give you and get the parts ordered. I installed them myself in about an hour or so. Pretty straight forward. There are no directions in the box on how to do them so keep that in mind and pay attention to where things come from and how they go back together and you will be fine

ingramwc
09-15-2016, 10:57 AM
This issue is paid for by BRP, no cost to owner or dealer!!! OK, dealer has to put some time into calling BRP and opening a case and making sure that proper color code is ordered.
There is no cost! The dealer you talked to is being lazy, or he is not making any money from you so he doe not want to bother. BRP allows 45 minutes labor to make the swap, which
should be plenty of time for an experienced mechanic to replace the 2 panels!!! Good luck!!!!!