PDA

View Full Version : Shirt??? Base Layer??

spyderwing
08-04-2016, 07:19 PM
What would be an effective shirt to use as a base layer under a mesh jacket to help versus the August heat and humidity??? Thank you. John

Highwayman2013
08-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Use a polyester wicking shirt, cycle gear sells heat out or you can get them at Walmart.

Mazo EMS2
08-04-2016, 08:08 PM
The obvious is Under Armour, but there are other similar fabrics out there that offer wicking properties for less money. You can find most anything at Walmart or Farm n Fleet, but pretty much always at any sporting goods store, for a bit more.

M109Dreamer
08-04-2016, 08:15 PM
The cheapest and decent ones I have found from Cycle Gear, called either Heat Out or Chill Out I believe? They are pretty decent for function wise and are pretty cheap. Look for a sale, they are on sale quite often at Cycle Gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Chupaca
08-04-2016, 08:30 PM
The cheapest and decent ones I have found from Cycle Gear, called either Heat Out or Chill Out I believe? They are pretty decent for function wise and are pretty cheap. Look for a sale, they are on sale quite often at Cycle Gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

:agree: Works like a wet suit or swamp cooler. I have used them for years and they work great. You can get the shorts and tee or long sleeve and long pants depending on your model and air flow. Heat out and they also have some for the winter....:thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Under Armor works good for me. :yes:

Bob Denman
08-05-2016, 06:56 AM
:D You could try no shirt at all...

But don't forget to wash your jacket! :shocked:

Pirate looks at --
08-05-2016, 07:24 AM
Heat out really works good!:thumbup:

Jimboregon
08-05-2016, 09:00 AM
I use my Under Armor ski gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

JayBros
08-05-2016, 10:08 AM
If you have access to REI any polypro jersey, long or short sleeve will do the job IMO.

sawtooth
08-05-2016, 11:03 AM
I wear a HEAT OUT shorts and shirt from Cycle Gear with a wet vest over that and a vented jacket (blow thru) for outer safety garment. This combination works very well on high heat days.

Fjrwillie
08-05-2016, 01:45 PM
What would be an effective shirt to use as a base layer under a mesh jacket to help versus the August heat and humidity??? Thank you. John

See if these would work. I ordered 3

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rusell-Men-s-Big-Performance-Quarter-Zip-Pullover/46727086

Willie

Fat Baxter
08-06-2016, 12:25 PM
I`m going to go against the grain and recommend a good cotton t-shirt.

I've been living and riding in south central Alabama for 20 years now, and I think the first question should be, how much airflow you are getting over your body. If you ride a sporty bike with a small windscreen, or a naked bike, then the polyester shirts might work, as there is sufficient airflow to wick away moisture. But if you're riding a fully faired bike like a BMW RT or a Spyder RT, in my experience cotton works better. Cotton tends to absorb and hold perspiration better than the plastic shirts. That`s the key on a fully faired bike when relative humidity is the issue.

This year, we're having an unusually wet August and I've been re-validating the above. IMO, you can't beat a good, plush cotton t-shirt.

jwulf74
08-06-2016, 02:43 PM
Can Am makes some nice pull over and full zip base layers too.

PistonBlown
08-06-2016, 07:21 PM
Not sure if these are available in the states but "Earth Sea Sky" Firstlayer Silk Weight. Excellent in the heat but also under thermals as a temp control layer.

KX5062
08-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Another vote for performance material. Nike, Under Armour, Russell, etc.

I used cotton for years and once I tried these I'll never go back. Cotton doesn't breathe well enough as compared to these. Plus, if traveling, they can be washed in a sink and pack very small, taking up less space in your luggage.