PDA

View Full Version : Windshield preferences ??

biker01red
08-01-2016, 03:08 PM
For a 2016 RT Limited, anyone have experience with windscreens different then the OEM ?? I am 5'10" wear a full face Shoei helmet... I constantly get a lot of wind noise and buffeting...raising the windshield does not help the problem, so I assume it is coming from the sides...
Anyone who has had a similar experience and any recommendations will be appreciated.

Lew L
08-01-2016, 03:38 PM
A vent in the shield will make a world of difference. Least expensive is to get a Goldwing vent for about $50 and cut the hole your self. Or spend $200 to $400 for an aftermarket shield ( with a vent of course ). Many here have done the replacement.

Kaos

Bob Denman
08-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Do you ride with your faceshield fully closed? Fully open? Somewhere in-between"
Sometimes, a small movement in the positioning of the shield can make a big difference in how the airflow plays with your head. nojoke

Otherwise: put a vent in it! :thumbup:

blacklightning
08-01-2016, 05:33 PM
I have gone through quite a few options and now have the perfect set up. I started with the stock, and it worked for the first season.134987

Then I wanted more protection in the winter so I ordered a +4 width.134988
The following summer I wanted more air, so I cut 7" off my stock 25.5" heigth. This worked great for the summer134990
This past spring, I decided it would be nice to tint the short shield. I tried the film, and it didn't work, so I purchased the spray on tint. It worked, but ran. I had to apply coat after coat to get it to look good. The result was great, but in the up position, I could not see very close in front of me.134999
Finally I found a short but wide, vented shield. It is a +4.5" width, but 4" shorter than stock. This is the perfect year round shield.135000

Bob Denman
08-01-2016, 05:35 PM

At full extension: do you look through it, or over the top? :thumbup:

Cruising RT
08-01-2016, 05:48 PM
I have gone through quite a few options and now have the perfect set up. I started with the stock, and it worked for the first season.134987

The following summer I wanted more air, so I cut 7" off my stock 25.5" heigth. This worked great for the summer134990
This past spring, I decided it would be nice to tint the short shield. I tried the film, and it didn't work, so I purchased the spray on tint. It worked, but ran. I had to apply coat after coat to get it to look good. The result was great, but in the up position, I could not see very close in front of me.134999
Finally I found a short but wide, vented shield. It is a +4.5" width, but 4" shorter than stock. This is the perfect year round shield.135000
Do you know who manufactured your current windshield, model #? Any good source to purchase. Thanks for any help.

biker01red
08-01-2016, 05:50 PM
Do you ride with your faceshield fully closed? Fully open? Somewhere in-between"
Sometimes, a small movement in the positioning of the shield can make a big difference in how the airflow plays with your head. nojoke

Otherwise: put a vent in it! :thumbup:

I normally ride with the shield fully closed.... So a vent in the windshield will improve the situation?????

biker01red
08-01-2016, 05:54 PM

What brand do you have with the +4 width?????

Bob Denman
08-01-2016, 06:05 PM
I normally ride with the shield fully closed.... So a vent in the windshield will improve the situation?????
It's sort of a "Hit & Miss" thing...
What it does; is change the airflow a little bit.
Try opening the shield up just a notch, and see what happens. :thumbup:

Putting a vent in your windshield will reduce the amount of buffeting, by smoothing out the airflow around it.
Basically; it reduces the size of the "low pressure" area, that exists right behind the screen ( and in front of you)
But raising your faceshield costs nothing, as a simple experiment! :D

biker01red
08-01-2016, 08:31 PM
It's sort of a "Hit & Miss" thing...
What it does; is change the airflow a little bit.
Try opening the shield up just a notch, and see what happens. :thumbup:

Putting a vent in your windshield will reduce the amount of buffeting, by smoothing out the airflow around it.
Basically; it reduces the size of the "low pressure" area, that exists right behind the screen ( and in front of you)
But raising your faceshield costs nothing, as a simple experiment! :D

Ok, thanks for the info, I will give it a try......

YIRYDE
08-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Is that the F4 sport wide tint/vent windshield that you have in your last picture?

blacklightning
08-01-2016, 08:59 PM

At full extension: do you look through it, or over the top? :thumbup:
At full extension I look through it. I find that really nice for riding in the rain. I can just close the vents and keep riding. My wife is only 5'-2" and I am 6'-2", so we are both able to stay pretty dry as long as we are moving.

blacklightning
08-01-2016, 09:03 PM
What brand do you have with the +4 width?????

The one with the +4 width and vent is a F4 shield. I do not know the part number, but I purchased it as an open box item on Ebay for around $250 shipped. There was a slight blemish on the edge in one spot, but you would not notice it unless I point it out. Although I love it, if you are wanting a normal heigth shield (25.5"), but just +4 wide, I suggest the cheaper one by show chrome. They are less than 1/2 the price and work better. The reason I say better is because they come with the vent holes at the bottom like the stock shield. The F4 without the vent does not have the stock vent holes. JMHO

biker01red
08-02-2016, 04:23 AM
The one with the +4 width and vent is a F4 shield. I do not know the part number, but I purchased it as an open box item on Ebay for around $250 shipped. There was a slight blemish on the edge in one spot, but you would not notice it unless I point it out. Although I love it, if you are wanting a normal heigth shield (25.5"), but just +4 wide, I suggest the cheaper one by show chrome. They are less than 1/2 the price and work better. The reason I say better is because they come with the vent holes at the bottom like the stock shield. The F4 without the vent does not have the stock vent holes. JMHO

Ok, thanks for the info, I will go to their websites and check them out !!!!!

Brian Kay
08-02-2016, 05:26 AM
I'm rocking the Cal-sci stock height but wide and love it...very quiet when full up and enough air flow when down. I'm 6ft tall but have a 2xl shoei rf-1100 on the skull acting like a big sail lol.

irvin48
08-02-2016, 08:22 AM
I'm rocking the Cal-sci stock height but wide and love it...very quiet when full up and enough air flow when down. I'm 6ft tall but have a 2xl shoei rf-1100 on the skull acting like a big sail lol.

got a pic and price on it ?--irv

robmorg
08-02-2016, 09:53 PM
Love my F4 Customs (https://www.f4customs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=88) stock height windshield with the Honda vent. It's a bit thicker than the OEM, crystal clear, and scratch resistant. And it covers up the bottom holes where dirt used to get in between the windshield and the bracket. You can also order it in other heights, widths, and tints.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116067&stc=1

jnt
08-02-2016, 11:29 PM
While the stock shield worked ok, I soon got the OEM vented one. Really cut the buffeting to near zero except in truck traffic. Also 5'10" with full helmet. Love it tho couple areas tricky to clean.

biker01red
08-03-2016, 05:32 AM
While the stock shield worked ok, I soon got the OEM vented one. Really cut the buffeting to near zero except in truck traffic. Also 5'10" with full helmet. Love it tho couple areas tricky to clean.

Thanks to everyone for all the responses!!!!! Apparently the vent makes a huge difference, I am going to give it a try... Thanks again to all, love this forum, lots of info........

F4 Customs
08-03-2016, 05:38 AM
F4 Customs offers a variety of shields for the RT. All of the shields are made of Poly-carbonate and not Acrylic and have the High Scratch Resistance Coating built in.
They Shed Rain, are Optically Perfect, and Clean with paper towels and any glass cleaner you want to use.
You can purchase them with a 5 position adjustable vent or without however we suggest the vent as this cuts down on the back pressure and gives the rider air when required
All shields come in Clear or Tint and have a 4 year warranty.
We sell a 22", 25" (which is stock height) and a 28". All can be purchased 5" wider than stock which is great for moving the air out and around the rider and co rider.
We would love to earn your business.
Give us a call or check us out at www.f4customs.com
Don Frank
330-968-4644135146

biker01red
08-03-2016, 06:04 AM
Don,
thanks for the post....
yesterday morning I sent you an email asking for info and your opinion. You replied, gave me your phone number.. I will try to call you this morning sometime....

STELLING MAN
08-03-2016, 01:28 PM
I put a F-4 tall and wide with a vent on my RT-S about 6 mo. ago and I love It, It Is everything Don says It Is..

biker01red
08-06-2016, 05:21 AM
On Thursday morning I called F4 to order the windshield. Talked with Don's daughter, Alicia. She said she would get the order out in the afternoon, on Friday Fed Ex delivered the windshield. One day service ........ Great service, really nice people to deal with, much appreciated!!!!!!! Will do the install this morning and have a test ride....

Bob Denman
08-06-2016, 12:46 PM
:congrats: Now, we're just waiting to hear some good news about it, from you! :thumbup:

:popcorn:

biker01red
08-08-2016, 04:02 AM
Rode 279 miles for a day ride with the new F4 windshield. It performed as Don Frank at F4 Customs said it would !!!! The wind noise is greatly reduced and most important for me, the side buffeting is gone... Perfectly clear vision. It worked as advertised, I am a happy customer !!!!!!! My wife riding as a passenger likes it also, so all is good ...........

robmorg
08-08-2016, 05:05 AM
Rode 279 miles for a day ride with the new F4 windshield. It performed as Don Frank at F4 Customs said it would !!!! The wind noise is greatly reduced and most important for me, the side buffeting is gone... Perfectly clear vision. It worked as advertised, I am a happy customer !!!!!!! My wife riding as a passenger likes it also, so all is good ...........

Your wife being happy is the most important part. ;) Glad things worked out for you. They do make a quality product, and they are good folks to deal with. :thumbup:

F4 Customs
08-08-2016, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all of these great comments. We have a great team that I am very proud of.
We are honored by your comments.
Ride safe
Don and the folks at F4

trikerbiker645
08-08-2016, 01:25 PM
I went to a F4 Custom XL tall and wide with vent- love it, wife loves it. Safe Riding!

pftjsquire
08-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Replaced the stock shorty on my RTS-Special with a large Cal-Sci vented shield last week. Works great for me in the down position for single ryding and my wife appreciates it in the up position on the highway when ryding two up. $236. They have dimensions for all of their shields as well as a guide to proper fitment.

Since putting it on there has been no appreciable drop in mpg and the helmet buffeting has all but been eliminated. It has also dropped helmet wind noise so we don't have to shout at each other when using the headsets on the highway.

There is a little extra wind hitting my body, but not much. We no longer feel like we have gone 10 rounds with Joe Frazier at the end of a long ryde. :thumbup: :clap: :firstplace:

SpyDerSts
09-09-2016, 08:42 PM
Thanks Don and crew for the 28" windshield that y'all shipped so damm quickly to a new vendor in Springfield Ohio....:f_spider::clap::bowdown::2thumbs:I hope I helped ya out by getting them to sign up as a distributor. Ride1 Powersports aka (Competition Accessories) . :shemademe_smilie: Wife is still enjoying the hell outta her 32" clear. Now I've just gotta get used to the adjustments on my 28". Hell,that damm thing actually looks pretty good on the new F3-S Special Series.!:thumbup::spyder2:

DJFaninTN
09-09-2016, 11:54 PM
I'll give you a word of warning here. If you replace your stock windshield with whatever brand ... do not throw it away.

Here my issue. I am big fan of the F4 windshield. Had one our 13RT and now have one on our 15RT. Late last year I noticed a rattling in the windshield. I checked everything and couldn't figure it out. Took it to a dealer and they contacted BRP and replaced the entire windshield kit. Cost was about $600. Two months later the rattling is back. Took it back to dealer and went round and round with them. Dealer claimed BRP turned it down because it was an aftermarket windshield. I ended up calling BRP myself and BRP claims there was never any record of the Dealer contacting them the second time. Tried to call Dealer back and service manager will never return my call. Called BRP and filed a complaint agains the Dealer.

Took the bike an hour & half to another dealer. They contacted BRP and BRP said since it was an aftermarket windshield then they wouldn't fix it. I called BRP and they told me the same thing. My question was ... Well if you fixed it the first time wouldn't I have a 12 month warranty on those parts? Very good question according to BRP. They looked up the original complaint and low and behold there is no record from the first Dealer for them fixing it. BRP said I had to call dealer and get them to give me a case number so BRP could look it up.

So I called original Dealer and have made TWO request for that case number in the last week. Service Manager never returns my phone calls.

Morale of the story: Keep your stock windshield in case you ever have any issue.

OH and the first dealer sucks for very poor customer service!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::banghead::banghead::bang head::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::bang head:

UtahPete
06-30-2019, 08:58 PM
Replaced the stock shorty on my RTS-Special with a large Cal-Sci vented shield last week. Works great for me in the down position for single ryding and my wife appreciates it in the up position on the highway when ryding two up. $236. They have dimensions for all of their shields as well as a guide to proper fitment.

Since putting it on there has been no appreciable drop in mpg and the helmet buffeting has all but been eliminated. It has also dropped helmet wind noise so we don't have to shout at each other when using the headsets on the highway.

There is a little extra wind hitting my body, but not much. We no longer feel like we have gone 10 rounds with Joe Frazier at the end of a long ryde. :thumbup: :clap: :firstplace:

Prices are the same as they were 3 years ago!

Sure would like to get an update from someone with a few years' experience with this brand.

roblet58
07-08-2019, 12:19 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I ordered the Extra tall and wide screen with 10% tint. Finally got it put on yesterday and took a quick cruise with the missus. We both agreed right away that the new shield was a great choice. The buffeting at her head and ears was gone. Conversation was easier too. I'll keep the original due to service issues. But the F4 is a great windshield and glad I bought it!!!

WingManDan
07-08-2019, 12:33 PM
A vent in the shield will make a world of difference. Least expensive is to get a Goldwing vent for about $50 and cut the hole your self. Or spend $200 to $400 for an aftermarket shield ( with a vent of course ). Many here have done the replacement.

Kaos

What is the OEM shield made from and how would I cut it? I already have a vent from the Gold Wing that I traded in with an aftermarket shield so that would be an easy fix for me, if I could get a hole cut.

UtahPete
07-08-2019, 12:42 PM
What is the OEM shield made from and how would I cut it? I already have a vent from the Gold Wing that I traded in with an aftermarket shield so that would be an easy fix for me, if I could get a hole cut.

Try this thread...there are others also if you do a search

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?89503-Spyder-RT-BRP-windshield-vent&highlight=goldwing+windshield+vent

F4 Customs
07-11-2019, 07:31 AM
We are glad this all worked out for you and your wife!
Ride Safe
Don Frank

F4 Customs
07-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Thanks for that input we appreciate it. Also if anyone is looking for a factory demo or second give us a call at 330-968-4644