PDA

View Full Version : Ryding in the rain

Stumpy6Guns
07-31-2016, 09:20 PM
It hasn't rained here in months, and I've never ridden in the rain. How do you deal with the rain on your helmet visor or goggles? Rain-X? Wipe every 10 seconds?

Bam Bam and Pebbles
07-31-2016, 10:53 PM
I go faster so the wind blows it off. Of course I use a shorty windshield so I get plenty of wind on my helmet.

Chupaca
07-31-2016, 11:06 PM
As you ryde along, turn your helmet slightly to the left and then right or visa versa and the rain will sheer off....:thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-01-2016, 12:31 AM
As you ryde along, turn your helmet slightly to the left and then right or visa versa and the rain will sheer off....:thumbup:

:agree: x 2

bigbadbrucie
08-01-2016, 12:39 AM
I just ride faster, so the rain can't catch me. :cheers:

Peter Aawen
08-01-2016, 02:02 AM
Never ridden in the rain?? You've missed one of the great joys of Spyder Ryding!! :riding:

Just take it easy, slow down a little from the speed you'd usually travel at (more for heavier rain!) & give yourself more 'safety gap' behind the car in front so you've got a little more reaction time/space if they stop in a hurry, & like others have said, gently move your head from side to side a little as you ryde along so the change in attitude blows the drops off your visor (& gives you more chance to check out the behaviour of the surrounding traffic!) ;)

While ATGATT is always a good idea, adding water resistant or proof gear to help keep you warm & dry inside when it's raining is smart; & full-finger & armour backed or padded gloves on your hands plus a full-face helmet with a Pin-Lock anti-fog insert is a really good idea if rain is likely - at Hwy speeds rain drops hitting bare skin or your face can hurt, and hail hitting your un-protected fingers or face can really do some damage!!

And just as an aside, if you are heading out to go riding in the rain, especially if it's after a long dry spell so the roads haven't been washed clean of oil & tire residue in a while, dropping your tire pressure by say 5-10% (a couple of psi or so?!) can be a really smart thing to do!! Lowering your tire pressures a bit for the cold & wet road surface means the tire casing will get to flex a bit more & thereby heat up to operating ramps a little quicker than otherwise, as well as making the tread compound a tad warmer overall & therefore 'stickier', improving traction in the wet. And it also means the tread contact patch on the road surface can flex & conform to the slight irregularities in the surface a bit more & better; giving the grooves, sipes, & tread blocks of your tire tread pattern a better chance of pumping water out of the way & thereby avoiding hydro-planing while gripping the road better too!! :thumbup:

Kwalsh
08-01-2016, 05:59 AM
Never ridden in the rain?? You've missed one of the great joys of Spyder Ryding!! :riding:

Just take it easy, slow down a little from the speed you'd usually travel at (more for heavier rain!) & give yourself more 'safety gap' behind the car in front so you've got a little more reaction time/space if they stop in a hurry, & like others have said, gently move your head from side to side a little as you ryde along so the change in attitude blows the drops off your visor (& gives you more chance to check out the behaviour of the surrounding traffic!) ;)

While ATGATT is always a good idea, adding water resistant or proof gear to help keep you warm & dry inside when it's raining is smart; & full-finger & armour backed or padded gloves on your hands plus a full-face helmet with a Pin-Lock anti-fog insert is a really good idea if rain is likely - at Hwy speeds rain drops hitting bare skin or your face can hurt, and hail hitting your un-protected fingers or face can really do some damage!!

And just as an aside, if you are heading out to go riding in the rain, especially if it's after a long dry spell so the roads haven't been washed clean of oil & tire residue in a while, dropping your tire pressure by say 5-10% (a couple of psi or so?!) can be a really smart thing to do!! Lowering your tire pressures a bit for the cold & wet road surface means the tire casing will get to flex a bit more & thereby heat up to operating ramps a little quicker than otherwise, as well as making the tread compound a tad warmer overall & therefore 'stickier', improving traction in the wet. And it also means the tread contact patch on the road surface can flex & conform to the slight irregularities in the surface a bit more & better; giving the grooves, sipes, & tread blocks of your tire tread pattern a better chance of pumping water out of the way & thereby avoiding hydro-planing while gripping the road better too!! :thumbup:

what he said!!! but most of all enjoy it because it will happen and there is nothing you can do about it

Bob Denman
08-01-2016, 06:41 AM
If you normally ride looking through your windshield: drop it down, and try looking over it. It's easier to look through just the visor under these circumstances. :thumbup:
...And turning your head to the side, to blow the rain off of your visor works pretty darn well... nojoke

deer30084
08-01-2016, 06:44 AM
It's fun to ride in the rain with your helmet and rain suit on and pass the motorcycle riders in their t-shirts.:p

JayD
08-01-2016, 06:46 AM
Rain X

AY4B
08-01-2016, 07:44 AM
If you use rain X make sure it is the kind for plastic windshields. Regular rainX can ruin your plastic. I have found that riding in the rain on a spyder is not much different handling wise than riding in your car.

kitkat61
08-02-2016, 11:56 AM
If you use rain X make sure it is the kind for plastic windshields. Regular rainX can ruin your plastic. I have found that riding in the rain on a spyder is not much different handling wise than riding in your car.
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Regular Rain-X will ruin your helmet and bike in a hurry, but they make one specifically for the plastic windshields of motorcycles and boats (works on visors too). I haven't found a local source, but you can buy it off of Amazon.

Questions
08-02-2016, 12:16 PM

Regular Rain-X will ruin your helmet and bike in a hurry, but they make one specifically for the plastic windshields of motorcycles and boats (works on visors too). I haven't found a local source, but you can buy it off of Amazon.
Cycle Gear stores carry a product called Rain Coat Pro that seems to work well.

JayBros
08-02-2016, 12:50 PM
I purchased my Rain X for plastic windshields from Auto Zone or Advance Autoparts, can't remember which. Works satisfactorily.

irvin48
08-02-2016, 01:19 PM
i use a spray wax called protectall that works great on w/shields.
unless i stop i never have to run the wipers. but then i havent been in a rain on
bike or trike for years. we just do day rides.

WEB-WVR
08-02-2016, 03:21 PM
With the windshield I have not had any real rain issues. Rain tends to blow off the face shield....crack it open enough so it does not fog from your breath.

I hope some are joking about speeding up. If anything, get in the slow lane and slow down. Riding in rain can be dangerous, visibility of other vehicles, traction, road wash hitting you, etc. If the rain is super heavy or a lot of water standing on the road....may be a good time to stop for a long lunch ! :clap:

The Spyder is a great machine but it is not water skis or a boat ! :yikes:

SL Ken
08-02-2016, 04:12 PM

I found Rain X for plastic at Walmart.

cuznjohn
08-02-2016, 05:16 PM
to be honest, i try not to ride in the rain. i have been caught in a few downpours and just kept wiping the shield with my glove. if the rain is really bad, i try to find a overpass or pull of the road to find some shelter