PDA

View Full Version : bobble head

New spyder
07-28-2016, 04:57 PM
ok just a few questions I have had my 2016 rt for about 2 weeks and having never riden one before have been slowly teaching myself on the backroads. today I hit 200 miles and decided to try out the interstate andddd that was an exciting 3 miles to say the least. I merged right next to a semi who then got in front of me and turned me into a very large bobble head doll now heres my questions 1 did I just happen to hit the right spot behind the truck 2 should I have the wind shield up 3 I have been reading a lot about the bajarons sway bar and after tryng out the highway think I might try and put one on ole Waylon but does doing so void any of the warranty from brp. sorry for the rambling just looking for ways to improve because I do love riding the thing

Bob Denman
07-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Congratulations on taking small, wise steps! :clap: :2thumbs:
That pocket of turbulence is going to be there; no matter WHAT you do. :shocked:
Be aware of it, and simply try to avoid it. nojoke

Pampurrs
07-28-2016, 05:01 PM
Yes, the BajaRon swaybar will help in dirty air as far as control, but probably not with the head buffeting.

No, addition of the BajaRon swaybar will not affect your warranty.

Pam

Chupaca
07-28-2016, 05:15 PM
That's a tough introduction to the freeway drive...:yikes: the only way to help that is to move away from the semi. He also is not likely to be able to see you. Once you are away from the backdraft you can adjust your windshield to help the bobbling. The sway bar will help once you have gotten more freeway miles and depending on how you feel get one or not....:thumbup:

ThreeWheels
07-28-2016, 08:12 PM
From your description, there isn't a damn thing you could do except get out of the wake of the truck.
Try it again (if you haven't done so already) and see what it feels like.
Your Spyder should track very well. If it doesn't then there is something wrong.
The swaybar will help, but only if you don't have any underlying problems, such as bad tires, incorrect tire inflation, bad ball joints, failed bushings, bad alignment, etc.
I'd check the tire inflation first, and then go hit the highway again to see if you still have an issue. Go easy on the steering, you don't want to overcompensate.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong, and I'm sure somebody on this forum will let me know about it.

ralph12345678910
07-28-2016, 08:26 PM
Wind is always fierce behind these trucks I try to keep way back for this reason and also is a lot safer staying back, you never know when you might need to turn to avoid tire rubber on the road from these vehicles. Ryde safety but have FUN

JayBros
07-28-2016, 08:53 PM
Remember, If you can't see that trucks mirrors, its driver can't see you. Stay way back to keep out of the turbulence or pass quickly to get on by it. You should experiment with the height of your windshield to see how moving it affects your bobblehead problem.

RussRT
07-28-2016, 09:40 PM
Large trucks can be nerve wrecking. You will find there is a area behind the truck that has a lot of turbulence. If you get in it just back off from the truck. You will know when you are out of it!! Remember not to put a death grip on your hand grips. Use your knees to hold yourself on the bike and you hands to turn the bike!!
ride safe

Stumpy6Guns
07-29-2016, 01:32 AM
I had to put a CalSci tinted shorty on mine because the buffeting was so ferocious. It made a huge difference for me. I'm not a very tall person (5'6"), so if you are taller a different height windshield may be in order.
No, I don't wear shorts and flip-flops when I ryde. Tempted, though!

Pirate looks at --
07-29-2016, 09:21 AM
I had to put a CalSci tinted shorty on mine because the buffeting was so ferocious. It made a huge difference for me. I'm not a very tall person (5'6"), so if you are taller a different height windshield may be in order.
No, I don't wear shorts and flip-flops when I ryde. Tempted, though!

Dont be tempted, have you ever grated cheese before? Now think of your legs and feet as the cheese and the ground as the grater?:yikes: And depending where you live, you will be cooler with pants and boots on when it is hot than you will be with shorts and flip flops! Doesn't seem logical, but it is a law of physics. If it's hotter that 98.6 outside, you will remain cooler by keeping that 98.6 close to your body, and keeping the 105 off your skin. That doesn't even consider the Sun Burn factor!

Fat Baxter
07-29-2016, 02:14 PM
I quickly noticed that my Spyder (2014 RT-S) really doesn't like semis. Much worse than my previous ride, a BMW RT. I think it's due to the much larger frontal area (actually, not unlike a barn door). Mind you, the Spyder tracks well and sticks to the road, but the truck's wake causes the Spyder's body to buck and sway, transferring the motion to you.

As for windshield highlight, at highway speed I set mine so I'm just looking over the upper edge. I lower the windscreen in town, to get a better, less obstructed view of traffic.

Stumpy6Guns
07-29-2016, 10:56 PM
Dont be tempted, have you ever grated cheese before? Now think of your legs and feet as the cheese and the ground as the grater?:yikes: And depending where you live, you will be cooler with pants and boots on when it is hot than you will be with shorts and flip flops! Doesn't seem logical, but it is a law of physics. If it's hotter that 98.6 outside, you will remain cooler by keeping that 98.6 close to your body, and keeping the 105 off your skin. That doesn't even consider the Sun Burn factor!

I appreciate your concern :thumbup:, and you can rest assured that at no time have I been on the street dressed like this. I'll admit to moving it 50 feet or so around the yard to take pics and wash it, but that's it. Around here, you can get a bad burn on your hind end just by sitting on the asphalt, much less sliding at 30 mph!

I'm a member of the ATGATT club, at least with the gear I have bought so far. Always a helmet, gloves, and jacket. Long pants and leather street shoes for now, and I want to get a nice pair of boots and riding pants. My size is short fat guy with small feet, and the selections are kind of limited.

Bfromla
07-30-2016, 02:25 AM
Have you heard of the new "ache"crippling thousands of people ("text neck"):lecturef_smilie:
Apparently too many people are hanging their heads down for extended periods of time & developing neck cramps from being on various devices , phones & tablets:gaah: Well thanks to my extended wind therapy sessions & helmet I believe I have a well founded solution:p
As I to enjoy extended time on same devices in possibly the same position, but the bobble head effect while riding & added weight of my helmet leaves me otherwise unaffected :dontknow: Not bragging , just suggesting more people get out & ride it will strengthen the neck mussels & teach biker awareness at same time:firstplace:

What yall think?:coffee:

Ron2andia
07-30-2016, 08:15 AM
:congrats::welcome: That head bobbing is a pain!