PDA

View Full Version : Adding to Switch Cluster

Pampurrs
07-28-2016, 03:19 PM
I bought this dual USB port for the switch cluster quite some time ago but never got around to installing it. I'm going to tackle it in the next few days.
I realize I will have to remove the side panels. Will I need to remove the glove box to get under the cluster? What would be the best method?

I'd like to hear from people who've done projects similar to this.

Thanks,

Pam

olsarge
07-28-2016, 03:23 PM
I read in another thread that the hole under the cover is round and you have to cut the plastic for the plug to fit.

cptjam
07-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Much easier: JT has a collar adapter, and a dual USB goes in place of a worthless gauge. A voltmeter on the other side, and you are done. Less than an hour. Where your arrow points is a giant PIA. Lots of Tupperware has to come off. Terribly difficult, you will blow a weekend doing it! Joe

Bob Denman
07-28-2016, 05:02 PM
:agree: If you look at the amount of effort in removing all of the appropriate Tupperware: other options really start to look worthwhile.
(I watched the technician take my 2010 apart; to install the ACS...)

Good luck! :thumbup:

Pampurrs
07-28-2016, 05:06 PM
Much easier: JT has a collar adapter, and a dual USB goes in place of a worthless gauge. A voltmeter on the other side, and you are done. Less than an hour. Where your arrow points is a giant PIA. Lots of Tupperware has to come off. Terribly difficult, you will blow a weekend doing it! Joe

Thanks Joe,

I got a somewhat similar answer on the Spyder Technical and DIY forum. I've already reached out to JT about his product.

You're awesome, Joe :bowdown:

Pam

jthornton
07-29-2016, 08:22 AM
Pam,

I used a dremel and cut then check the fit and keep cutting till the width was correct then worked on the length of the slot. Just take your time. Removing a side panel will make it much easier to pass the wire to the battery.

JT

CapeSpyder
08-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Is that the upper side panel?

CapeSpyder
Sent From my Note 5

Hokiev
08-08-2016, 08:12 AM
Pam,

I used a dremel and cut then check the fit and keep cutting till the width was correct then worked on the length of the slot. Just take your time. Removing a side panel will make it much easier to pass the wire to the battery.

JT

Regarding the Round Hole in the Switch Cluster: I just used a utility knife to change the round hole to rectangular to fit the USB switch. Plastic cuts fairly easily. Getting to the cluster was a little tricky though.

CapeSpyder
08-08-2016, 09:06 AM
That the insight im also looking for

CapeSpyder
Sent From my Note 5

LJspydee
08-08-2016, 09:42 AM
I installed a switch in the center position about a year ago and was able to work the wiring in without removing the glove box. I instead removed the speaker grills. Of coarse installing an accessory fuse panel and wiring it to the battery required removing a lot more panels. Cutting the rectangular hole was fairly easy with a sharp xacto knife. I just laid out the size of hole with tape and trimmed away. Good luck.