PDA

View Full Version : Shifting/testing guidelines

imcheetah
07-28-2016, 11:37 AM
Hello spyderlovers,

I am really new to Spyder riding and have never driven anything that is not fully automatic:). Shifting is a new concept for me. I've been practicing riding daily, and I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on shifting. I have an RT Limited 2015 with a semi-automatic, and so far I still have a hard time figuring out when to shift. I keep looking for a green arrow in Eco, therefore I haven't gotten out of Eco yet.;)
So, is there a way to shift based on MPH insted of RPMs? There is something in "Do's and Dont's" thread, but it appears to be for a different transmittion? Any suggestions for a new rider? I want to be kind to the engine:).

Also, any tips on getting ready for a Skill test? What are they looking for, what should I practice more, etc?

Thank you so much in advance, I really appreciate your help!

ralph12345678910
07-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Look at the speedometer when green lite comes on or just shift at about 3000 rpm, do not let off on the throttle when shifting

Bob Denman
07-28-2016, 11:45 AM
With the 1330; you can shift into the upper gears, as low as 2,500 rpm. :thumbup:
After a while; you'll learn what the engine sounds like, and just shift when things sound ready... :D
DON'T spend time looking at the LED screen: look where you're riding! nojoke

Culpjp
07-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Look in the manual. BRP includes a section on what skills to practice when riding your Spyder. Your skill tests will include many tests that are similar.