PDA

View Full Version : Can I drill holes in a sabal palm? Gardeners please help.

0228lisa
03-22-2009, 09:36 AM
OK, before anyone starts in on me.....this is a Spyder related thread. I have to hang wind chimes BEFORE I can take my Spyder out for a ride today. I googled this question on the internet for over an hour and found no response to the question. Since all Spyder owners know everything :read: I thought someone out there could help me answer this question. While out on vacation in the mountains, I bought some really BIG wind chimes. They weigh about 100 pounds. I want to mount them on a palm in my yard since there are no other trees nearby. Can I drill my lateral and horizontal supports directly into the trunk of my sabal palm with out killing it? The palm is about 40' tall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:D

M2Wild
03-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Adding holes to a chime usually changes the tone. I would not do it. Put up a picture and maybe we can give you a better idea.

0228lisa
03-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Adding holes to a chime usually changes the tone. I would not do it. Put up a picture and maybe we can give you a better idea.

The chimes won't be touched. I'm securing what looks like a plant hangar arm that came with the chimes (meant for mounting on a house). I want it in the yard on a palm instead of the house. In Florida here it can get quite windy so I don't want them hung on the house where they could possibly hit something.

jeuchler
03-22-2009, 09:49 AM
OK, before anyway starts in on me.....this is a Spyder related thread. I have to hang wind chimes BEFORE I can take my Spyder out for a ride today. I googled this question on the internet for over an hour and found no response to the question. Since all Spyder owners know everything :read: I thought someone out there could help me answer this question. While out on vacation in the mountains, I bought some really BIG wind chimes. They weigh about 100 pounds. I want to mount them on a palm in my yard since there are no other trees nearby. Can I drill my lateral and horizontal supports directly into the trunk of my sabal palm with out killing it? The palm is about 40' tall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:D

It sounds like a beautiful tree, lisa--I would say don't drill it.

The risk is the same one we try to minimize by using a tree-strap made of nylon (http://www.offroadtuff.com/recoveryacc.htm) to put around a tree, rather than looping a chain around the trunk when trying to brace a 4wd vehicle when winching, etc.

Drilling a couple of holes probably wouldn't kill it, but would create an opportunity for bacterial "infection."

Maybe get a nice, decorative wrought iron plant hangar/bird feeder hanger that you can put into the ground. Advantage being that you can relocate it if the sound is too faint or too overwhelming due to its proximity to where you are listening to the chimes while you wash your Spyder. (See, it was a Spyder question.)

My $0.02

0228lisa
03-22-2009, 10:00 AM

The risk is the same one we try to minimize by using a tree-strap made of nylon (http://www.offroadtuff.com/recoveryacc.htm) to put around a tree, rather than looping a chain around the trunk when trying to brace a 4wd vehicle when winching, etc.

Drilling a couple of holes probably wouldn't kill it, but would create an opportunity for bacterial "infection."

Maybe get a nice, decorative wrought iron plant hangar/bird feeder hanger that you can put into the ground. Advantage being that you can relocate it if the sound is too faint or too overwhelming due to its proximity to where you are listening to the chimes while you wash your Spyder. (See, it was a Spyder question.)

My $0.02

I like the ground mount idea but these suckers are 6' long. I'd have to mount it on a flag pole to get it off the ground and that would take away the beauty of them. I have to post a pic. These things are big and beautiful.

M2Wild
03-22-2009, 10:07 AM
...using a tree-strap made of nylon (http://www.offroadtuff.com/recoveryacc.htm) to put around a tree

:agree: Strap is the way to go. Ditch the hanger part and loop the strap up at top of the palm and just hang the chime that way.

0228lisa
03-22-2009, 10:29 AM
:agree: Strap is the way to go. Ditch the hanger part and loop the strap up at top of the palm and just hang the chime that way.

If you strap it over the crown of the palm they'll just hang against the palm trunk and won't chime. Won't work. I've got it figured out if I know drilling holes won't kill the palm. I called a tree nursery and they are closed on Sunday. Oh well, screw the project for today. Going for a Spyder ride :D:doorag:

jeuchler
03-22-2009, 10:42 AM

Yup. Good-er idea.

Go get the extension ladder (or firetruck!)

AMTJIM
03-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Drag them behind the spyder and ride around your gated community with a sign that says"Just Cruisin".

bjt
03-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Why not strap the bracket to the palm tree instead of screwing it in?

0228lisa
03-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Drag them behind the spyder and ride around your gated community with a sign that says"Just Cruisin".

You pay attention. I like that.;)

0228lisa
03-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Why not strap the bracket to the palm tree instead of screwing it in?

You got it. I have bendable metal straps and I was wondering just leave 'em like that are screw them in. That's what started this whole thing. :chat:

AMTJIM
03-22-2009, 06:58 PM
I don't know how long it is, but have you thought about making a decorative tri-pod~tee-pee kinda thing and hang it from the center?

0228lisa
03-22-2009, 08:42 PM
I don't know how long it is, but have you thought about making a decorative tri-pod~tee-pee kinda thing and hang it from the center?

They are 5' or more. But you did give me an idea. I have two palms about 5' apart and I could just wire them together and hang if from the middle.....hhhhmmmmm.:clap:

SpyderGirl
03-22-2009, 10:06 PM
That sounds like a much better idea than drilling a hole in your beautiful tree. Love to see a picture when you get done. I love doing landscaping stuff.

0228lisa
03-22-2009, 10:08 PM
That sounds like a much better idea than drilling a hole in your beautiful tree. Love to see a picture when you get done. I love doing landscaping stuff.

Me too. We've got that in common. I'll post some pics after I get it hung.:cheers:

baldev
03-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Me too. We've got that in common. I'll post some pics after I get it hung.:cheers:
Drill it. Tree will survive. Did it and tree loved the chime.

barb36jack31
11-02-2009, 04:46 PM
I agree with Baldev. 3/8 x 4 in. lag bolt (s) should the trick and a 40 ft. tree should have no problem at all. IMHO

Campverdefela
11-03-2009, 06:26 PM
I agree with Baldev. 3/8 x 4 in. lag bolt (s) should the trick and a 40 ft. tree should have no problem at all. IMHO
I agree with these last two, lag bolt it. I was a landscaper for 30yrs. and we would guy-wire heavy limbs this way for additional support. Eventually the bark will grow around the bolts or screws and cover them, the tree will be fine.

northramp
11-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Give the chimes to a close biker friend, they will ward off....oh wait thats a bell.:roflblack:

Roaddog2
11-05-2009, 09:35 PM

My $0.02Mr Green Jeans how have you been :thumbup:

rmcaskey
11-06-2009, 08:28 PM
March, Smarch !!!

Now I'm all interested in seeing pictures of the darned wind chimes!!!

:gaah:

RoadHammer
11-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Nail some spikes in her, dont worry trees take good care of themselves.

Roaddog2
11-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Umm........, the post you quoted was from last March.......:lecturef_smilie:Oh well :D ok then is the tree still alive :D

brutus450
11-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Now I'm all interested in seeing pictures of the darned wind chimes!!!

:gaah:

YEAH PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D