PDA

View Full Version : Blinking Oil Light

Tiny54
07-26-2016, 10:02 PM
I have a 2015 ST Limited Edition. Runs beautiful but just the other day the oil light will sporadically start to blink/flash on and off for a short period of time. Almost like it's shorting out. The oil level is fine. Brought it in and the computer diagnostic test showed everything was perfect. Was riding it today and the blinking started but then a small orange engine fault started to flash on and off. Still running great. After a few seconds the engine icon stopped and so did the oil light. The ride home everything ran perfect with no blinking oil light or flashing engine light. Need advise. Anybody have an idea what's happening?:banghead:

kbwitt
07-26-2016, 10:39 PM
Mine does the same with break fluid. Very sensitive, I put in 5 drops of break fluid and light goes out and stayes out for a long time. My bike has about 18,000 miles and was told break pads were getting low and would use a few drops till its time to get new break pads again.

So maybe oil just as sensitive, try putting in 5 to 10 drops of oil see if it works.
Good luck Kenn

GOZFST
07-26-2016, 10:45 PM
Mine does the same with oil. Very sensitive, I put in 5 drops of break fluid and light goes out and stayes out for a long time. My bike has about 18,000 miles andcwas told break pads were getting low and would use a few drops till its time to get new break pads again.

So maybe oil just as sensitive, try putting in 5 to 10 drops of oil see if it works.
Good luck Kenn
???? You put brake fluid in with the engine oil???

Chupaca
07-26-2016, 10:57 PM
The oil light is to indicate oil pressure. That would be no oil...you had plenty. Oil pump..not likely. The sending unit or the connections ..good place to start. The engine light is connected to a host of places and was probably reacting to the oil pressure. There are time when these things happen and they ...lets say...self correct. If it does not come back or there are no codes to help us you could be fine. You can have the dealer hook up to BUDS and see if there are any stored codes to help explain it...

Tiny54
07-26-2016, 11:04 PM
The oil light is to indicate oil pressure. That would be no oil...you had plenty. Oil pump..not likely. The sending unit or the connections ..good place to start. The engine light is connected to a host of places and was probably reacting to the oil pressure. There are time when these things happen and they ...lets say...self correct. If it does not come back or there are no codes to help us you could be fine. You can have the dealer hook up to BUDS and see if there are any stored codes to help explain it...

Since no codes showed when it was on the computer I feel it's probably ok but it sure is a strange feeling when your driving and the lights are flashing if a code is thrown. TY for your reply.

Snowbelt Spyder
07-27-2016, 06:50 AM
I have a 2015 ST Limited Edition. Runs beautiful but just the other day the oil light will sporadically start to blink/flash on and off for a short period of time. Almost like it's shorting out. The oil level is fine. Brought it in and the computer diagnostic test showed everything was perfect. Was riding it today and the blinking started but then a small orange engine fault started to flash on and off. Still running great. After a few seconds the engine icon stopped and so did the oil light. The ride home everything ran perfect with no blinking oil light or flashing engine light. Need advise. Anybody have an idea what's happening?:banghead:

2015 ST has the V-twin, right?

Oil light is a low pressure warning light. If it is a valid warning, it's telling you that your oil pressure is low and fluctuating. Based on what happened to a couple members on here earlier this spring - one having a collapsed oil filter - I would replace and inspect your engine oil filter ASAP. Maybe even do a complete change. Not saying it's not an instrument problem, just saying I would eliminate the possible valid problems first.

Tiny54
07-27-2016, 07:14 AM
2015 ST has the V-twin, right?

Oil light is a low pressure warning light. If it is a valid warning, it's telling you that your oil pressure is low and fluctuating. Based on what happened to a couple members on here earlier this spring - one having a collapsed oil filter - I would replace and inspect your engine oil filter ASAP. Maybe even do a complete change. Not saying it's not an instrument problem, just saying I would eliminate the possible valid problems first.

Just had an oil change done. This started a few days later and is very sporadic. I did bring the Spyder back and they checked all codes using the computer and oil level was perfect. Really has me stumped.

JayBros
07-27-2016, 07:16 AM
It's a 2015, get it back to the dealer, tell him to open his bag of warranty nickels and make it stop premanently. If he can't do it very promptly, like in one day, tell him any color of loaner will do.

billybovine
07-27-2016, 07:23 AM
It's really simple. The dealer needs to do a oil pressure test. If the oil pressure is good. Install a new oil pressure sender. If the oil pressure is low. Tear the engine down and find out why. Tell the dealer to get off their ass and do what they are suppose to do.

Tiny54
07-27-2016, 07:46 AM
It's a 2015, get it back to the dealer, tell him to open his bag of warranty nickels and make it stop premanently. If he can't do it very promptly, like in one day, tell him any color of loaner will do.

I think I will be bringing it back again for the 3rd time in two weeks. This all started with my 13000 mile oil change and replacing a high beam light bulb. The dealership is an hour and a half drive one way which is very frustrating and time consuming.

Snowbelt Spyder
07-27-2016, 08:21 AM
Just had an oil change done. This started a few days later and is very sporadic. I did bring the Spyder back and they checked all codes using the computer and oil level was perfect. Really has me stumped.

Just had an oil change done. The plot thickens. A famous man once said - there's no such thing as a coincidence. As we're all saying, this is not about LEVEL, it's about PRESSURE. Check it out.

Tiny54
07-27-2016, 09:35 AM
Bike is going in tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I will let you know what the outcome is.

Tiny54
08-04-2016, 05:12 PM
Requested service to replace the low oli pressure switch. After some convincing they did so. The diagnostic test also showed a code for this. If it wasn't for the help of this forum I don't believe they would have done this. Heading out for a test run shortly. Thank you.

billybovine
08-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Requested service to replace the low oli pressure switch. After some convincing they did so. The diagnostic test also showed a code for this. If it wasn't for the help of this forum I don't believe they would have done this. Heading out for a test run shortly. Thank you.

It is more likely that the pressure sensor was bad then a real low pressure problem. But by the sound of what you said they did not test the pressure with a real gauge. If that is true, that is not acceptable. They should have hooked up a real gauge and then would have known for sure if that was the right fix.

Still hoping for the best and that this does fix your problem.