PDA

View Full Version : Rear Trunk Lock warranty issue

khromegal
07-26-2016, 04:59 PM
I have a question concerning an 2013 Rt. Last week I was out riding and stopped for breakfast locking my purse in the rear cargo trunk. When I came back to open it the key would only turn to the 7 o'clock position and remained locked. I hurried to my dealer to have them open it for me. They couldn't and gave me choice which was break the back panel or drill the lock which may not work either and still have to break the back panel. We choose to break the back panel on it. I had purchased the extended warranty so I thought I would be okay. They broke the panel, got my purse out for me and they ordered the replacement parts. I paid my $50.00 deductible and went on my way. I found my extra lock and called the dealer to check on BRP response for the lock issue and what they would pay for. Answer nothing. Lock and body panels not covered. If the lock caused it I don't understand why they won't at least help out. Dealer said they would install for free but the panel is $270.00. Sorry so long winded on this but wanted to be clear. I got the number for the customer representative so I will call, but my question is am I being unreasonable? :banghead:

Thanks for any input.

Bob Denman
07-26-2016, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't waste time talking to your dealer. Get the case number from the, and call BRP directly.
Something just doesn't seem right about this... :shocked:

Chupaca
07-26-2016, 05:27 PM
Don't know the dealer but they did not have to break the back panel to get it open. :agree: get in touch with BRP yourself and get some answers. :banghead:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-26-2016, 07:03 PM
IMHO the lock was jammed .....and if they had applied sufficient pressure on the lid, the lock would have released .....This is a Prime example of why I NO longer use my IGNITION SWITCH to open my Frunk or release my Seat .............. In any event what they did was a poor choice ......Mike :thumbup:

pitzerwm
07-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Breaking the back panel, how stupid can you get. Drilling out the key, sucks but once its gone, opening is easy. Check on getting the panel somewhere else.

Jolvyc
07-27-2016, 03:56 AM
IMHO the lock was jammed .....and if they had applied sufficient pressure on the lid, the lock would have released .....This is a Prime example of why I NO longer use my IGNITION SWITCH to open my Frunk or release my Seat .............. In any event what they did was a poor choice ......Mike :thumbup:

OK BlueKnight now I'm Curious. So what do you use to open the Frunk and release the seat? Do you have pictures? I would love to do this to mine if possible.

Old Prof
07-27-2016, 04:59 AM
OK BlueKnight now I'm Curious. So what do you use to open the Frunk and release the seat? Do you have pictures? I would love to do this to mine if possible.

Me too. :dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2016, 09:19 AM
To " Jolvyc " & " Old Prof "...Another Spyderlover did a separate wire re-lease for His ( 1330 RT ) seat w/pics ....... what I did was to mostly wire open the latch with galvanized wire. Looking at the Latch from the right side, loosen the right bolt, take your wire and hook it onto the end of the spring, bring under the cable to the right and pull, wrap it around the bolt and tighten........depending on how much you pulled the latch open will depend whether the seat will stay latched down....I no longer have the gas shock ....that will effect how this works ....trial and error............The FRUNK release is a SEMI-STIFF wire from the extension LEVER on the back of the OEM latch, over to the left side ( right if your are facing it ) that goes down to where you can grab it. I put a triangular piece of thick plastic to grab on it. you can Velcro it or just tuck it into the grill edge ..... There are only two bolts that need to be removed to get the LATCH off so you can drill a hole for the wire ......If you want to see Pics ...PM Deanna777 I just did Hers ................Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-27-2016, 09:57 AM
I think that I've got a picture of the emergency seat latch release...

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2016, 12:15 PM

134657..Thanks Bob that's it........and the one I did is very similar .... except the wire ( is the twist- type ) and is wound around the right-side bolt after tensioning the spring.....Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-27-2016, 12:24 PM
I thought that I had a picture for the emergency Frunklid release also.

:opps: I don't... :opps:

Jolvyc
07-28-2016, 03:23 AM
Thanks Bob and BlueKnight, I am going to try and do this hopefully this weekend.

Old Prof
07-28-2016, 06:19 AM
Thanks Bob and BlueKnight, I am going to try and do this hopefully this weekend.

Yes....thanks much!

irvin48
07-28-2016, 10:42 AM

bob, where did you have the wire exit so you can pull it ?--irv

Bob Denman
07-28-2016, 11:06 AM
You just sort of pull out on the right side "ear" at the front of your seat, and fish it out!
(HINT: remove rings and watches first!)

khromegal
08-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Called and spoke to the customer service for BRP. Not covered. Extended warranty doesn't cover the lock or the body panel. They verified the dealer did call them. Guess I pay up. Thanks for everyone's input.