PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Cancel Switch

GA_Spyderman
07-26-2016, 08:32 AM
Has anyone installed a cancel switch for the cruise control? I would like to have another way to cancel other than the brake switch or turning off the cruise. Thanks.

Mark in GA

POD KonB GA
07-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Pushing to the left doesn't work on yours?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

POD KonB GA
07-26-2016, 08:45 AM
Just read that again. You don't want to turn cruise off. 10-4. Don't mind me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Pirate looks at --
07-26-2016, 08:56 AM
You don't have to brake, you can shift gears and that will do the same thing. Also there is a built in adjust on the cruise control where you can tap up once to add 1 mph, or down once to reduce speed 1 mph very handy!:yes:

Ex-Rocket
07-26-2016, 09:32 AM
I read somewhere in one of the forum rooms that someone did just that. They drilled a hole in the switch housing on the left side and ran wires to appropiate areas. I don't know how to add a link to the right post. :banghead::banghead:

Bogie
07-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Read the recent PTT switch installation post about a week back. I suggested using his push button for cruise cancel and it looks somewhat easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MisterP
07-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Some food for thought. Our Spyders can decelerate faster than most cars. If you tap the brake you momentarily activate the brake lights, potentially cautioning someone behind you that something is happening. Assuming they are paying attention...

That's why it's my preferred method of disconnecting the cruise. I want the brake lights to come on.

Thought I would offer this FWIW.

_..stiffler..
07-26-2016, 05:07 PM
I would like a cancel button as well cause im used to it in my other vehicles. but like said above the engine break on the spyders is crazy and I hate when I turn the cruise off how it jolts you forward. which a cancel button will do the same thing. It always puts my wifes head into mine.

so what I do is go on the throttle a little bit to maintain speed and I lightly hit the breaks. no jolt forward and works wonders.

Stiff

Bob Denman
07-26-2016, 05:23 PM
:shocked: It must be my simple mind: I'm not seeing an actual need for another way to cancel the cruise control...
Don't you already have enough ways to kill it? :dontknow:
Brakes
Shifting
Turning it off

Pirate looks at --
07-26-2016, 05:55 PM
But imagine this Bob. He develops this switch and before long he is a SL Sponsor and selling it to hundreds across the country! Just another Farklees some will want to have. :yes::yes:

MS_Spyderman
07-26-2016, 09:17 PM
Enjoy reading all the comments, and all are valid. Previous bike was GL1800 and it had a couple of ways to cancel the cruise without cutting it off. My reason for wanting this is, when cruising down the highway and you see traffic slowing ahead or you want to just slow down for reduced speed zone, tapping a cancel switch makes sense rather than tapping the brakes.
As for the PTT button, it is a circuit pad type switch on a small ribbon cable and is not easy to work with without risking damage.
I will continue to work on this idea and when I get it worked out I will share my findings. I love doing mods, but I only do them if I can make it work simply and consistently.

pitzerwm
07-26-2016, 09:18 PM
Any push button should be 10 amps which would more than handle paralleling the brake switch. I haven't looked but it should just be a no/nc micro switch.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
07-26-2016, 11:23 PM
Yes, shifting will disengage CC, however, if you are in 6 and cruising along pretty good, downshifting to 5 is not cool.

I have tried to actuate the shifter paddle to disengage by faking an upshift to 7. CC remains engaged.

I guess that is another good reason to have a manual shift. You just pull in the clutch and that de-activates the CC, leaving it in the same gear. I usually just lightly tap my brake pedal and give it just a bit of throttle and there is no discernible deceleration.

vided
07-27-2016, 03:48 AM
:shocked: It must be my simple mind: I'm not seeing an actual need for another way to cancel the cruise control...
Don't you already have enough ways to kill it? :dontknow:
Brakes
Shifting
Turning it off

:agree: thanks for reading my mind(lol), :yes::yes:

Bob Denman
07-27-2016, 07:20 AM
:D It was just like reading an excellent comic book! :D :2thumbs:

Actually: if the OP sees traffic slowing down ahead; wouldn't applying, or at least tapping the brakes, seem to be a natural thing to do?

Since I'm so simple: I like to follow the K.I.S.S principle!

Bogie
07-27-2016, 11:11 AM
I agree "downshifting" will turn off the cruise but that will cause a more rapid deceleration. It's too bad that BRP just didn't allow for one more up shift (already in 6th gear) to cancel the cruise.

Bob Denman
07-27-2016, 11:23 AM
I agree "downshifting" will turn off the cruise but that will cause a more rapid deceleration. It's too bad that BRP just didn't allow for one more up shift (already in 6th gear) to cancel the cruise.
:shocked::hun:
Another upshift? :yikes:
To where: seventh gear? :dontknow:

Bob Denman
07-27-2016, 12:22 PM
You know a heckuva lot more about this, than I do... :clap:
I bow to your wizardry! :bowdown:

2Paw
07-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Do you have a cancel button for the CC in your cage? If not what makes the spyders CC so different that you need one on it? I don't understand why anybody would think this a faulty design.:dontknow:

Bob Denman
07-27-2016, 12:56 PM
I don't drive a cage much anymore, so I don't feel qualified to discuss their systems.
But I DO remember that they have "Off-Buttons", and a quick touch of the brake pedal, to kill the cruise control...
The Missus has a RAV4, and I have used that one: no "cancel" button (That I remember!)

MelloYelloSpyder
07-27-2016, 03:10 PM
Do you have a cancel button for the CC in your cage? If not what makes the spyders CC so different that you need one on it? I don't understand why anybody would think this a faulty design.:dontknow:

Why yes, yes I do...

MS_Spyderman
07-27-2016, 03:21 PM
To clarify a bit, my personal situation is that I have a bad right knee and the movement to just tap the brake sometimes causes my knee to get a painful "catch" in it. So, that's where this idea got started.
By canceling cc you don't lose the set speed in cc memory like you do when simply cut it off. And, yes, every car I have owned with factory cc has had a cancel switch of some kind. Just saying...

2Paw
07-27-2016, 03:44 PM
To clarify a bit, my personal situation is that I have a bad right knee and the movement to just tap the brake sometimes causes my knee to get a painful "catch" in it. So, that's where this idea got started.
By canceling cc you don't lose the set speed in cc memory like you do when simply cut it off. And, yes, every car I have owned with factory cc has had a cancel switch of some kind. Just saying...

Ok, I understand your reasons, but the only vehicles I ever owned with CC have been Fords and they don't have a cancel button, unless it's the upper end ones which I've never owned.

Bobleach45
07-27-2016, 03:58 PM
I'd like to have it also. HD has the right idea, just roll the throttle forward and it's off. Hit resume when you want it again. Much better. Than having to tap the brake. JMHO.

pegasus1300
07-27-2016, 04:04 PM

yes I do have a cancel button on the cruise control on the car. I don't have to turn it off,I don't have to touch the brakes and I don't have to downshift. I just touch that button and it cancels. Not having it is so 20th century

Peteoz
07-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Ok, I understand your reasons, but the only vehicles I ever owned with CC have been Fords and they don't have a cancel button, unless it's the upper end ones which I've never owned.

I have had "cancel" buttons on all my cruise controls in my cars for at least the last 10 years....and there is also one on my Victory Vision (throttle roll off) which I have had for 5 years.....and the Vision is cheaper than the Spyder. I thought it was on all cc equiped bikes. The Spyder doesn't have this? Thanks for the info, that could have been embarrassing :yikes:

Pete

GA_Spyderman
07-27-2016, 04:49 PM

We have a Ford Fusion(not high end). In the left cluster of buttons on the steering wheel, there is a button labeled "CAN/RES". This is your cancel button.

GA_Spyderman
07-27-2016, 04:52 PM
I'd like to have it also. HD has the right idea, just roll the throttle forward and it's off. Hit resume when you want it again. Much better. Than having to tap the brake. JMHO.

Goldwings(GL1800) do that too.

2Paw
07-27-2016, 05:49 PM
We have a Ford Fusion(not high end). In the left cluster of buttons on the steering wheel, there is a button labeled "CAN/RES". This is your cancel button.

Left side on my Ranger is on and off, on the right side is top to bottom is Res, Set, -Cst. Next time I use it it I will try hitting the Res and see if it cancels it. I may learn something new. I never saw the need for all these fancy gadgets til I got older, always manual trans and crank windows and key lock doors.

Roadster Renovations
07-27-2016, 09:28 PM
I wanted to verify this before posting and I was able to tonight on a nice long ryde.
Once cruise control is set you can click up or down and each time you will go up or down aprox. 1 mph
If you hold the button in the up position you will gradually accelerate until you let go.
If you hold the button in the down position, the byke will gradually and smoothly slow down. May not be a cancel, but if I have traffic coming up I can hold it down to match their speed. Sometimes, if they are moving too slow I have to apply the brake.

I rarely use my brakes on the highway when approaching slower moving cars. A lot of factors come to play; how big a difference in speed, how far away is the traffic behind me, etc.

Anyway, something to play around with....

2Paw
07-27-2016, 11:29 PM
Left side on my Ranger is on and off, on the right side is top to bottom is Res, Set, -Cst. Next time I use it it I will try hitting the Res and see if it cancels it. I may learn something new. I never saw the need for all these fancy gadgets til I got older, always manual trans and crank windows and key lock doors.

Well I tried it on the way home from work and so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, the CC in my cage and the CC on my Spyder both work the same way.:D

ThreeWheels
07-28-2016, 05:09 AM

All the cars I've owned with Cruise Control can be canceled by pushing a button and don't require hitting the brake or a clutch.
To restart the system, you need to reengage the speed setting by hitting the resume button.
On the Spyder, the same function is performed using the on/off switch instead of tapping the brake.
In my personal opinion, that seems very adequate. Living in the North East, I get very little opportunity to use the CC on any vehicle.
Nevertheless, the OP wants what he wants, and is entitled to his opinion. If enough people back him, then BRP may make the change.
I got a bag of crap from the forum when I recommended to have the average MPG and Distance To Empty shown on the LCD Display. I got comments about doing math in my head, and no one has needed it until now.
I would not, however, consider the cruise control to have a design flaw.
These are complicated and expensive machines. There will always be possible refinements.
Now that damn windshield arm................ THAT'S a design flaw.

WellsboroSpyder
07-28-2016, 05:56 AM
My reason for wanting this is, when cruising down the highway and you see traffic slowing ahead or you want to just slow down for reduced speed zone, tapping a cancel switch makes sense rather than tapping the brakes.
[/QUOTE]

I find it easy, if paying attention to what's up ahead, to use the down tap on the switch to go to a slower speed. Also I find it easy to tap the break than I can just hit resume.

Dan McNally
07-28-2016, 08:13 AM

If you turn the throttle up, before downshifting, you won't experience "rapid deceleration" - in fact, you should do that. From my Owners Guide: