PDA

View Full Version : What kind of oil you using now?

bdspyder
03-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Got an oil change coming up soon and not sure what to use now. I've always used synthetic in everything and really wanted to stick with it for my Spyder. I don't want to change to a blend after using BRP synthetic.

Want to make sure BRP will honor the warranty if I use something else.

What about Amsoil :dontknow:

What's everybody using?:chat:

effgjamis
03-22-2009, 04:40 AM
BRP, AMS, Mobile 1... I guess as long as its Sl .... I have heard that the new oil of BRP is a blend.. However, I have not confirmed that.... Anyone know????

bjt
03-22-2009, 06:30 AM
I have used both Amsoil and Spectro Gold in my Spyder. They are both very highly rated oils. I may go exclusively to Amsoil since that's what I used my last oil change to get a 0W40 oil for the winter months and its cost is comparable to Spectro Gold. My dealer uses the Spectro oils in all his bike, ATV, etc. oil changes, Spyders included, unless the customer specifically states that they want BRP oil. His reasoning is that Spectro is a high quality oil, they have used it in almost all their oil changes for years, they have never had an oil related engine failure and they can save customers a few bucks over using the BRP branded oil. He charges about $20 - $30 less on a Spectro oil change vs. a BRP oil change.

Greg H.
03-22-2009, 08:06 AM
BRP Synthetic. I let the dealer do my oil changes. I have read soooo much about alternatives - some good, some not so good. I have more important things to think about than looking for a cheaper (alternative) oil for my Spyder. :) I just feel a warm and cozy knowing with the BRP.

In my other vehicles, I use Mobil 1 exclusively.

bone crusher
03-22-2009, 08:16 AM
You have to be very careful with warranties unless you want to argue with dealerships and BRP...

When you get the bike serviced at a BRP dealership, there is proof of maintenance. When you do it on your own, it's very hard to prove you're sticking to their maintenance schedule, which is necessary to maintain your warranty.

They obviously can't force you to have the dealerships service your bike...however, if you have a problem and it MIGHT be related and there is no proof that it's been serviced, you could end up on your own.

The economy is bad and no manufacturer has deep pockets. They will fight you if you cannot provide proof of service...

I know many here are very proficient mechanically...and that is awesome...however, with warranties, the horror stories are quite common...

Spydr in KS
03-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Just rec'd a case of Amsoil and preparing for my 3K oil change;)

Questions
03-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Picked up my new Spyder yesterday and asked the Spyder Tech. the same question.I told him that I use Castrol Syntec in all my other machines and he said 5W40 Syntec would work jusy fine.

bdspyder
03-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the replies. i would continue to use BRP synthetic but cant find it since the switch. I want to use amsoil 10-40 for bikes but was just worried about warranty issues. BoneCrusher is right about warrany headaches.

NancysToy
03-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. i would continue to use BRP synthetic but cant find it since the switch. I want to use amsoil 10-40 for bikes but was just worried about warranty issues. BoneCrusher is right about warrany headaches.
10W-40 does not meet the BRP spec, which is 5W-40. If you have directly related problems, the warranty could be void. I don't think it would hurt at all, but it does present a slight risk.

BTW, our dealer knows nothing of the supposed switch, and still carries the BRP full synthetic. They say they have received no word on a change of specs for the Spyder, no matter what the new oil label says. The switch is apparently either a dealer issue, or my dealer has a large stock of the full synthetic to use up.
-Scotty

bone crusher
03-22-2009, 01:02 PM
10W-40 does not meet the BRP spec, which is 5W-40. If you have directly related problems, the warranty could be void. I don't think it would hurt at all, but it does present a slight risk.

BTW, our dealer knows nothing of the supposed switch, and still carries the BRP full synthetic. They say they have received no word on a change of specs for the Spyder, no matter what the new oil label says. The switch is apparently either a dealer issue, or my dealer has a large stock of the full synthetic to use up.
-Scotty

I would think synthetic is better anyway...plus, it requires less changing...regardless, if you have BRP service the bike, they want you back every few thousand miles anyway...in a car, the difference is 3k vs. up to 10k...in a bike, I figure the synthetic would double the time for an oil change as well...

NancysToy
03-22-2009, 02:50 PM
I would think synthetic is better anyway...plus, it requires less changing...regardless, if you have BRP service the bike, they want you back every few thousand miles anyway...in a car, the difference is 3k vs. up to 10k...in a bike, I figure the synthetic would double the time for an oil change as well...
Should...but we are stuck with their intervals if we want to cover our backsides. :D
-Scotty