PDA

View Full Version : New spyder, new to spyder's....got questions

bcer960
07-23-2016, 09:02 PM

A week ago Fri I purchased a 2016 RT-S. On sat morning my wife and I set out on a 3037 kms (1887 mile) run through 2 provinces and 2 states. Absolutely love the bike. (pic doesn't show the color well, but it's cobalt blue)
I have read through this forum quite a bit on the trip, and have a few questions:

First off...... what is a Farkle? (I.e. what does it mean)

Second, Has there been any improvements on the sway bars for the 2016? or is it still worth while buying some?? If so, are there other manufactures than LaMonster, and if so, opinions please. ( I am not saying I won't buy the LaMonster set, just that I have only found that manufacturer, and wanted to know if i have options)

Third, Passenger armrests, am I opening a can of worms here? I would to know what the best (in everyone's opinion) is. Can my wife still comfortable use the heated hand grips if the armrests are installed??

Forth (This may just be me wishing for the impossible) but is there a device or way to have the output from the stereo blue toothed into my helmet?

I know I will have more questions, but I will leave it at these for now

Ray

By the way, we named it "Mater" The front reminds of both of the movie cars....

Pampurrs
07-23-2016, 09:16 PM
:congrats:

I can answer a couple of the questions, but will leave the rest for others to answer.

What most motorcycle forums call "Mods" (short for modifications), here in SpyderLovers they refer to them as Farkles. Therefore, a farkle is anything that you add to your Spyder after it leaves the showroom. I'm not sure where that term originated, but just know, when you hear that term, it refers to mods.

As for the swaybar (which is also a farkle), BajaRon is the providor of that. You can also purchase them from Lamonster, Spyerpops, and probably a couple other vendors, but BajaRon is the King of the Swaybar. As far as I know, there has been no improvement on the factory sway bar, so it's likely you will end up installing BajaRon's swaybar.

Enjoy your new :spyder2:

Pam

TnT
07-23-2016, 09:31 PM
Questions

With regards to the sway bar: the better half and I bought a 2015 RT-S and ride mostly 2 up and loaded down. The Baja Ron sway bar was added after about 1,000 miles. It made a huge improve, along with the Baja Ron spring adjusters. Together they combined to make the spyder almost a whole new vehicle (eliminated the swaying in corners) and improved the handling. Motorcycle Dave is a sponsor here on the Spyders lovers web and sells a dongle and harness that makes the bikes audio (radio and GPS) blue toothed for helmet systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CapeSpyder
07-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Motorcycle Dave sells the bluetooth dongle you need to output to your bluetooth helmet

The only swaybar mod (Farkle) is from bajaron, other vendors sell it

And Congrats on the Ryde

CapeSpyder
Sent From my Note 5

Chupaca
07-23-2016, 11:18 PM
Part of the breakdown of farkel...sparkle now someone else can give you the rest.

BajaRon is currently the only one making a aftermarket swaybar. If you don't feel you need it ryde on. You can always come back to it as you get more rambuncksious...get a laser alignment and go from there.

Arm rests....check our sponsor vendors on the home page. I don't have an opinion on this but visually I like the Corbin ones...

As mentioned above. ...get the dongle. ..:thumbup:

Bfromla
07-24-2016, 01:16 AM
F.A.R.K.L.E. -- Fancy Accessory Really Kool Likely Expensive

The word is generally accepted to mean a combination of "function" and "sparkle", hence, farkle.

& always fun making the bike "your own" others got you well informed on the sway-bar & BT dongle. Not sure about the arm rest as that is more per the rider opinion (can be quite moody, depending on passenger). Good luck there & congrats on mater come on down & ill introduce you to his cuz "potater"http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160724/56505f12326ffb1bf69fade29cd65f38.jpg

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

dlby
07-24-2016, 04:43 AM
Corbin armrest---secure & comfy, look factory

6kmiles with them
About 100 mi without em b4 wife said (this is not right back here!)
These made huge difference

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Bob Denman
07-24-2016, 08:09 AM
:welcome:
farkle has already been explained to you... :thumbup:
Armrests: We had Diamond -R on our 2010

For our 2014: we are trying the ones from Big Bike Parts...

The mounting method is similar, but the Diamond-Rs were a bit easier to get nailed into place...

PrairieSpyder
07-24-2016, 09:13 AM
:welcome: & :congrats:

The only after-market anti-sway bar is Baja Ron's and its available from several of the SL vendors. I highly recommend it.

Corbin armrest---secure & comfy, look factory

. . . !

:agree: There are other arm-rests on the market, but the Corbins are rigid and your passenger will feel more secure. My first Spyder, a 2011 RTS, already had them when I bought it and I was completely comfortable giving rides to my nephew and nieces with them in place.

gkamer
07-24-2016, 10:32 AM

A week ago Fri I purchased a 2016 RT-S. On sat morning my wife and I set out on a 3037 kms (1887 mile) run through 2 provinces and 2 states. Absolutely love the bike. (pic doesn't show the color well, but it's cobalt blue)
I have read through this forum quite a bit on the trip, and have a few questions:

First off...... what is a Farkle? (I.e. what does it mean)

Ray,
This is the only question I can help you with. I don't know where the word comes from or who first coined it, but a Farkle is anything you add, change, or modify on your bike nice you take possession of it. Add a cup holder, that's a Farkel. Add a light strip to make you more visible, that's a Farkle. Folks want to make their Spyder THEIR Spyder for either cosmetic, performance or safety or some combination of reasons. Also, because it's just plain fun.

Motorcycledave
07-24-2016, 01:43 PM
I have the SENA SM10 and the cable you use to convert your audio system
to blue tooth on sale right now for $185.95 that is, i think less than 1/2 BRP price
Call today 209-887-3283

bcer960
07-24-2016, 06:21 PM
Thanx to everyone who replied. It has been a big help.

For starters I am going to go for the sway bar, and the corbin arm rests. Also a bumpskid, as I have bottomed out 3 times in a week, Dave, I will have to wait on the sena for a bit. Passenger comfort is priority right now, but I will keep it in mind down the road.

Ray

bcer960
07-24-2016, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=Bfromla;1160185]F.A.R.K.L.E. -- Fancy Accessory Really Kool Likely Expensive

The word is generally accepted to mean a combination of "function" and "sparkle", hence, farkle.

& always fun making the bike "your own" others got you well informed on the sway-bar & BT dongle. Not sure about the arm rest as that is more per the rider opinion (can be quite moody, depending on passenger). Good luck there & congrats on mater come on down & ill introduce you to his cuz "potater"http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160724/56505f12326ffb1bf69fade29cd65f38.jpg

Love the truck, maybe we'll get down there one day to see it.

bigbadbrucie
07-24-2016, 07:16 PM
Welcome and congratulations on your new ride. I purchased mine last September, and just love it. I purchased the bt-dongle from Motorcycle Dave and received it by mail in less than a week. On his website he also has a video posted on how to install it on your ride. Very easy to do, and works great. Dave is a great one to help you out with your audio.

Ron2andia
07-26-2016, 10:13 PM
:congrats::welcome:

bcer960
07-27-2016, 12:57 AM
Well, as much as I loved the ride, After 3100kms, the motor was still smoking after it was warmed up. The smoke was coming out over the wheels on both sides. So, as I pulled into town last sat from my trip, I went to where I bought it and asked them if it should still be doing that. (the salesman knew it was smoking when I took for the test drive a week before).
He said no. Today (the shops next business day) I took it in, and they have ripped the motor apart, as it is leaking oil internally and externally.

So, I am not sure what the outcome will be, but this is strike 6 in the 11 days I've owned it......

Ray :banghead:

ARtraveler
07-27-2016, 01:00 AM
The ones I can answer are already covered. :welcome: and :congrats: on your new :spyder2:

dlby
07-27-2016, 04:15 PM
I might smell fish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

bcer960
07-27-2016, 07:42 PM
The dealer is saying that on the 12-16 spyders, there is something with the oil pan that is machined badly??? This is what they are saying is wrong with the bike and "They don't have the 4 days it will take to fix it"

Frustration is building

bcer960
07-29-2016, 09:07 PM
Apparently my bike is not the only one with the problem. The oil reservoir was not machined properly, and is not seated in the motor correctly. So oil is spilling out (or over) into places it shouldn't be. It took a bit of monkeying around, especially with the finance company, as I had to trade in my bike that was only 14 days old, for a new one.
So, today, after a a bit of run around, I am now the very proud owner of a 2017 RT-S.

Back on the road....... Yaaaaaa:yes:

Peter Aawen
07-29-2016, 10:10 PM
Well I certainly hope this one lasts longer & works better'n your last one!! But I must admit that yours is the first time I've heard of that particular issue or the story that you got told supposedly explaining it?!? :shocked:

Still, here's hoping that you can now get down to ryding the miles of smiles that most of us experience!! Enjoy :thumbup:

bcer960
07-30-2016, 01:20 AM
Well I certainly hope this one lasts longer & works better'n your last one!! But I must admit that yours is the first time I've heard of that particular issue or the story that you got told supposedly explaining it?!? :shocked:

Still, here's hoping that you can now get down to ryding the miles of smiles that most of us experience!! Enjoy :thumbup:

I certainly hope so :riding:.... And I can only go on what I'm told.
Here's pics of the old and new bikes....

I have ordered a few farkles, I'll post when i get them on.

ray