PDA

View Full Version : rain gear

IGETAROUND
07-23-2016, 04:25 PM
Can anyone help teach me what it is you need to do to store your rain gear on your spyder so as not to cause it to leak?????

I purchased a new set of Frog Togs last fall while @ Spyderquest, they have kept me warm and dry until now. I normally have them rolled on to themselves and carried in my frunk. I was soaked to the bone on my recent return home. Some how one season out of rain gear seems a little short lived for any gear.

So can anyone give me an indication of how I need to store my rain gear so it won't leak when needed???:banghead::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah: Thank you in advance

Al in Kazoo

CapeSpyder
07-23-2016, 04:33 PM
We have used the large zip lock bags in the past. After a wet ryde we hang them up let the stuff dry and then re pack them

Sent From my Note 5

trikermutha
07-23-2016, 06:24 PM
been reading lots of complaint of leak on those rain gear..Been using my Harley Gear for years now and seems to be holding up.

I just roll them up and store them in a duffle bag

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-23-2016, 07:27 PM
We have used the large zip lock bags in the past. After a wet ryde we hang them up let the stuff dry and then re pack them

Sent From my Note 5
:agree: ..... Hi Al :thumbup:...........Although I don't store my gear in bags ..... If I use it, I do make sure it gets completely dry before I roll it back up.........I also don't carry it unless I think there is a possibility I might use it.......sitting in a 120+ degree trunk constantly can't be good for the longevity.....................jmho.........Mike :thumbup:

IGETAROUND
07-23-2016, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=trikermutha;1160095]been reading lots of complaint of leak on those rain gear..Been using my Harley Gear for years now and seems to be holding up.

I just roll them up and store them in a duffle bag[/QUOTE

Specifics please as I'm a Harley novice and need all the help I can get.

This was my feelings also; you shouldn't have to do anything special other than attempt to pack in as small a space as possible.

Thanks for your information,

Al

Bob Denman
07-23-2016, 07:42 PM
I use a TourMaster one-piece suit, and the Missus has Frogg Toggs. We just store them in the left saddlebag, in the luggage that we purchased... :thumbup:
My suit has seven seasons on it now, and it still keeps me dry! nojoke

trikermutha
07-23-2016, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=trikermutha;1160095]been reading lots of complaint of leak on those rain gear..Been using my Harley Gear for years now and seems to be holding up.

I just roll them up and store them in a duffle bag[/QUOTE

Specifics please as I'm a Harley novice and need all the help I can get.

This was my feelings also; you shouldn't have to do anything special other than attempt to pack in as small a space as possible.

Thanks for your information,

Al

All I do is make sure they are dry, roll them up for next use and store them in a duffle bag..Bought my Harley Rain Gear many years ago and they are still holding up..
They been in my bikes and hot garage to date with no problems to speak off.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-23-2016, 09:03 PM
I also don't carry it unless I think there is a possibility I might use it.......sitting in a 120+ degree trunk constantly can't be good for the longevity.....................jmho.........Mike
Right. My last set of Frogg Toggs only lasted 10 years in my Goldwing and Spyder saddlebags! :rolleyes:

IGETAROUND
07-23-2016, 09:09 PM
:agree: ..... Hi Al :thumbup:...........Although I don't store my gear in bags ..... If I use it, I do make sure it gets completely dry before I roll it back up.........I also don't carry it unless I think there is a possibility I might use it.......sitting in a 120+ degree trunk constantly can't be good for the longevity.....................jmho.........Mike :thumbup:

Mike, Hi and yes I agree that isn't the best place to store them but ONE seasons use???? WTF

IGETAROUND
07-23-2016, 09:11 PM
Right. My last set of Frogg Toggs only lasted 10 years in my Goldwing and Spyder saddlebags! :rolleyes:

Ok, so what are you doing that you got ten seasons out of frog togs??? How are you storing them???:banghead:

RotaxDuramax
07-23-2016, 09:54 PM
Frogg Toggs stuffed in the right side bag on the F3, and just stuffed in the bottom of the front compartment on the RS when I had it. Always stayed in the bike unless was wet and drying. No special bags or anything. But I am super careful to not let anything touch them, like the dog or anything else that could puncture it. Same set since 2012.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-23-2016, 09:54 PM
Ok, so what are you doing that you got ten seasons out of frog togs??? How are you storing them???:banghead:
Bought them 10 years ago when they were made of Tyvek. I stored them rolled up in the saddlebag, and rode in mostly dry weather! :yes: I'll bet I didn't put them on more than 15 times in 10 years! I did put up with damp or wet seat a few times during the last 3 or 4 years I used them. They weren't 100% watertight!

guzzihack
07-23-2016, 10:07 PM
I bought new Tour Master rain gear this year for the wife and I. I have a couple old compression bags that were purchased many years ago when before I bought down sleeping bags. With the suits cinched up, they fit nicely together in one saddlebag with room to spare. They are well protected now from abrasion or punctures along with taking up less space.

Coke

SpyderAnn01
07-24-2016, 01:17 AM
Al, sorry you got wet but how was the trip?

Eagle1
07-24-2016, 06:32 AM
Frogs toggs, four years, stored in frunk, no problem.

IGETAROUND
07-24-2016, 08:19 AM
Al, sorry you got wet but how was the trip?

Excellent, have posted my musings on the forum. Had to change tires in California, nice to be able to do so without messing up the alignment.

Gray Ghost
07-24-2016, 08:19 AM
I have had a First Gear suit that has lasted me somewhere around ten years although one of the seams has sprung a leak. Constantly stored on the bike, but about three years of that the bike was not stored in a garage. Perhaps the Florida temperatures contributed to the seam failure. But to be honest about the only time I needed a rain suit on the Spyder was in a real downpour or when riding in stop and go traffic. If I am able to keep moving the bike keeps me fairly dry.

IGETAROUND
07-24-2016, 08:24 AM
I use a TourMaster one-piece suit, and the Missus has Frogg Toggs. We just store them in the left saddlebag, in the luggage that we purchased... :thumbup:
My suit has seven seasons on it now, and it still keeps me dry! nojoke
Bob, Does the tourmaster fit easily over your ATGATT outfit???

IGETAROUND
07-24-2016, 08:28 AM
I bought new Tour Master rain gear this year for the wife and I. I have a couple old compression bags that were purchased many years ago when before I bought down sleeping bags. With the suits cinched up, they fit nicely together in one saddlebag with room to spare. They are well protected now from abrasion or punctures along with taking up less space.

Coke
I like the idea of compression bags; guess I'll store whatever I purchase in one of my dry sacks to cut down on the abrasion factor. Thanks for the idea.:yes:

Bob Denman
07-24-2016, 08:30 AM
It fit better; when I was a bit less "round"... :opps:
But yes: it still does the job! I bought it oversized, for just that reason! :thumbup:

Actually; we have found that the raingear isn't nearly so necessary with the RT. We've been caught in two light showers this season, and never had to "suit-up". The tops of the Missus' shoulders get damp, and that's about it. nojoke

murphybrown
07-24-2016, 10:12 AM
First how was trip?

Second: Frogg Toggs have several different levels of rain gear....IMHO that is a huge factor...which do you have? I bought from their website and got the motorcycle specific.

I wear alot....always make sure they dry, completely when done ryding for day. If weather radar says all good in morning for no rain gear I place in stuff sacks..then into my soft side can am bag and that goes into the left saddle bag. Multiply years of usage.

As to yours leaking? Sorry no reasonable guess from this road ryder...:yikes:

Copperman
07-24-2016, 11:11 AM
I have to agree with Murphy Brown. You need motorcycle specific Frogg Toggs. They're designed to withstand the constant speed of the wind. The seams are sealed much better, not to mention better constructed, than the Frogg Toggs you wear walking around your neighborhood in a gentle summer rain.

They're a little more expensive, but well worth the money.

They're stored on-board our Spyders at all times (always be prepared). When the sun goes down and it gets a little chilly, if you didn't bring a jacket, the rain jacket doubles as a wind breaker and keeps you toasty warm.

When wet, they're dried out in the garage, folded back up and stored on the Spyder, ready for the next rain.