PDA

View Full Version : stock seat install

wmh9680
07-23-2016, 10:04 AM
Good Morning, Well it might be too hot (mid 90's and almost no wind) to ride today with possible storms coming in Chicago-land so we have to wait and see. I am buying a stock seat for my Spyder. I have an Ultimate Tall Boy on it now. How hard is it to reverse the 2 seats and will I need parts to do it? Hope everone else is ridin.

How often and where are Spyderfests held?

Thanks, Mike

SpyderAnn01
07-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Does your Ultimate seat have a gas door? If it does the strut that holds the stock up for refueling may have been removed. Other than that I would think you should have all of the hardware that you need to put the stock seat back on. Make sure to cover any and all holes with tape as bolts tend to drop into them. It also makes things much easier if you remove the passenger backrest. This allows you to raise the seat higher so you have easier access while installing it.

Spyderfest is an annual event held in Springfield, MO and is generally held the last week of April.

wmh9680
07-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Thanks, it does have a gas door. I'm originally from Kansas City. Wish I could get the auto email response to work on the forum. Thanks, Mike

jcmcalpinjr
07-23-2016, 12:00 PM
Look at the ultimate Web site, they have a good video for seat replacement.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

The Governor
07-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Does your Ultimate seat have a gas door? If it does the strut that holds the stock up for refueling may have been removed. Other than that I would think you should have all of the hardware that you need to put the stock seat back on. Make sure to cover any and all holes with tape as bolts tend to drop into them. It also makes things much easier if you remove the passenger backrest. This allows you to raise the seat higher so you have easier access while installing it.

Spyderfest is an annual event held in Springfield, MO and is generally held the last week of April.

Isn't the support strut on the opposite side of the gas door?

Copperman
07-23-2016, 01:38 PM
Isn't the support strut on the opposite side of the gas door?

Yes.

Marcy
07-23-2016, 05:40 PM
What are your plans for the Ultimate? :pray:

Ex-Rocket
07-23-2016, 07:50 PM
Good Morning, Well it might be too hot (mid 90's and almost no wind) to ride today with possible storms coming in Chicago-land so we have to wait and see. I am buying a stock seat for my Spyder. I have an Ultimate Tall Boy on it now. How hard is it to reverse the 2 seats and will I need parts to do it? Hope everone else is ridin.

Thanks, Mike

PM sent

wmh9680
07-23-2016, 09:33 PM
Gonna sell it when I get the stock one installed and we/she likes it. Got a couple of people that say they want it already. Mike

Marcy
07-23-2016, 09:42 PM
:( Ok, worth a try. :-).

Bob Denman
07-24-2016, 08:03 AM
I had a thread going about this a little while ago...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?94796-Bolt-a-Seat-Back-in-Place

Lots of folks pitched me helpful advice! :2thumbs:

Good Luck!

Mazo EMS2
07-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Maybe things have changed, but my 2010 RT had a couple spacers in the hinge point that had to be in there. Double check that. Otherwise, it's just a couple bolts, that are a bit tricky to get to. The support strut is opposite the gas door, and you may need to transfer the bracket, you may also need to transfer the lock pin at the front end. It's an easy task.

Bob Denman
07-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Yup! Those spacers are still there! :shocked:

(Grease them: it'll help them stay in place! nojoke)

wmh9680
07-26-2016, 09:41 PM
Good evening, It was hot here in Chicago again today. Did manage to take a short ride after work before heading to the Fire Dept for training though.

I received my ShowChrome armrests today and hopefully my stock seat tomorrow. Can I install the armrests first and then install the seat this weekend or should I do it the other way around. Can't wait to get both on and take her out. Thanks, Mike

Bob Denman
07-27-2016, 07:11 AM
If the ShowChrome parts bolt to the bike under the seat: install them first! :thumbup:
We'll need to see pictures! :D

Bob Denman
07-27-2016, 07:12 AM
If the ShowChrome parts bolt to the bike under the seat: remove the stock seat, and install them first! :thumbup:
We'll need to see pictures! :D

OverHillAndDale
07-27-2016, 08:03 AM
On the Ultimate video someone referenced earlier, they mention stuffing a rag at the back of the seat on either side of the hinge bolt so you don't loose parts down the hole. If parts fall in those holes, they enter an alternate reality and will never be seen again.

Also, there is a little play (front to back) in the hinge. My experience says that with the Ultimate seat you've got to push the seat as far back on the bike as it will go in order for the seat to lock properly. I believe that the stock seat sits a bit more forward for the plunger and receptacle to line up properly.

Bob S
07-27-2016, 10:05 AM

Thanks, Mike

Mike,

Why are you replacing the Ultimate Tall Boy with the stock seat?
I have looking at replacing the stock seat with the Ultimate.
Also live in Chicago area.

Bob S

wmh9680
07-28-2016, 10:11 PM
The tallboy took room away from Karen and I'm 5'9" and 170 lbs so the stock seat will bring me closer to the handlebars and give her more room. She has had 2 spinal fusions and she did not like the feel of the tall boy. We sat on the stock one and we both liked it better.

Well, the armrests are on. Just one tip, don't start at dusk and watch out for all the holes that bolts fall into, didn't recover one of them. Does anybody know what size the 2 bolts are that hold the seat on in the rear? I need to get one. The 4 bolts that attach the black brackets to the frame under the seat seemed awfully short, I may replace them with longer ones. I wish they would have labeled the 4 brackets left and right like most things are. That would have saved me some time out there in the dark. They also should have put holes in the bottom of the pads in the covering so it would have been easier to install the pads and you should mount the pads before putting everything else on so you can see what you are doing>Tomorrow I will install the seat which seems quite easy (we will see)

One last thing, the seat was plugged in so I'm thinking it was a heated seat, right. Now the plug is laying under the seat and an orange light comes on that looks like a spyder under the 2 on the screen. What does that mean? Pics will be coming. Thanks everyone, Mike

Ben Burped
07-28-2016, 11:06 PM
The tallboy took room away from Karen and I'm 5'9" and 170 lbs so the stock seat will bring me closer to the handlebars and give her more room. She has had 2 spinal fusions and she did not like the feel of the tall boy. We sat on the stock one and we both liked it better.

Well, the armrests are on. Just one tip, don't start at dusk and watch out for all the holes that bolts fall into, didn't recover one of them. Does anybody know what size the 2 bolts are that hold the seat on in the rear? I need to get one. The 4 bolts that attach the black brackets to the frame under the seat seemed awfully short, I may replace them with longer ones. I wish they would have labeled the 4 brackets left and right like most things are. That would have saved me some time out there in the dark. They also should have put holes in the bottom of the pads in the covering so it would have been easier to install the pads and you should mount the pads before putting everything else on so you can see what you are doing>Tomorrow I will install the seat which seems quite easy (we will see)

One last thing, the seat was plugged in so I'm thinking it was a heated seat, right. Now the plug is laying under the seat and an orange light comes on that looks like a spyder under the 2 on the screen. What does that mean? Pics will be coming. Thanks everyone, Mike

The connection that you wondered about is for the pillion switch in the seat. This tells the nanny that you have a passenger and will respond differently than if you were just riding alone. The light is simply telling you that part of the sensing system is unhooked. Look up "pillion" on the internet.

wmh9680
07-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Thanks, Is there anything I should do about the light and does the stock seat have a plug that I missed to make it go away and let nanny know I have a passenger on board. Thanks, mike

OverHillAndDale
07-29-2016, 10:17 AM
You need to remove the sensor from the stock seat and move it to the new seat. My nanny lit up and although I'd transplanted the sensor I forgot to plug it in. I plugged it in and nanny got quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmh9680
07-29-2016, 07:04 PM
Thanks, I'll try that. Hope everyone is out ridin this weekend. Thanks again, Mike

wmh9680
07-30-2016, 09:55 PM
My new stock seat did not have spacers for the hinge point (unless they are still in the box somewhere in the garage, I'll check in the AM) . The Ultimate has spacers in it but I don't think they come out. Where can I get some? Tommorrow we will take her out for a ride and ceck out the armrests and seat. Tried it tonite and both seemed fine. Thanks, Mike

wmh9680
08-03-2016, 04:55 PM
Thanks, I installed the sensor on the stock seat and my nanny went back to sleep. Now I have to install and adjust the locking pin. It's been a very busy week. I'm a water operator for a Village and the system is down and I'm running it manually. My wife is also working alot of overtime this week. Thanks, Mike