PDA

View Full Version : Replacing turn signal bulb - need help!

SpyderConvert
07-22-2016, 06:59 PM
I decided to replace the 1156 bulbs in my 2015 Spyder RTL with LED "bulbs". After removing all of the necessary screws and body panel, I was somehow able to replace the backup light bulb (GOD, I need smaller hands!!). I can see no possible way for me to access the turn signal bulbs. Can anyone give me some idea how I can fit my hand in there to replace the turn signal bulb??? PLEASE!!!!:banghead:

jcthorne
07-22-2016, 07:10 PM
The whole tail light assembly is only held in with 4 screws. Just remove them and have the lamp assembly in your hand. Replacing the bulb is quite easy then, quarter turn of the retainer.

Lew L
07-22-2016, 10:40 PM
+1
I don't have big hands and I had to remove the tail light assembly. It's just 4 screws.

NM Wrench
07-22-2016, 11:04 PM
Agreed but need to remove the fender also to access all of the tail light screws

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

SpyderConvert
07-23-2016, 06:53 AM
Agreed but need to remove the fender also to access all of the tail light screws

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

It looks like one of the screws holding the rear fender is right behind the "shock absorber" of the saddlebag lid. I could not get to it to remove it.

Oh, yeah, my backup lights are hyperflashing!

Highwayman2013
07-23-2016, 08:43 AM
It looks like one of the screws holding the rear fender is right behind the "shock absorber" of the saddlebag lid. I could not get to it to remove it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpuEqpiTm4M

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-23-2016, 02:01 PM

Pop the gas strut loose off the ball stud.

Backup light is hyperflashing? That sounds fishy! Backup light doesn't flash at all, at least it shouldn't!

SpyderConvert
07-24-2016, 11:25 AM
I did try to remove the tail light assembly and that's when I noticed the screw behind the strut, I will try to remove the strut as suggested. Yes, the LED backup bulbs are hyperflashing/strobing, but I don't believe that the turn signal fix will work. Again, thank you. And.now, back to the sauna that is my garage.:pray:

SpyderConvert
07-27-2016, 06:45 AM
Yesterday, since the temperature was down to about 95, I decided to give it another try - SUCCESS!!!!. There are 3 screws holding each tail light unit in and once I figured out how to remove the gas strut, everything went very smoothly. I was able to stop the hyperflashing using the technique described here and I believe that I might have to install a resistor in the backup light circuit. Then again, it might act like one of those backup "beepers"!! Again, thanks to all that responded, this site is amazing!!