PDA

View Full Version : Test Flight

NancysToy
03-21-2009, 06:34 PM
This week I purchased a C.H.A.D. windshield from NMN and installed it on Nancy's Spyder. It may not stay there permanently, but the long cold winter has made it a mental necessity to ride, and this will certainly help that happen until it warms up reliably here in Michigan. A few of my observations:

The C.H.A.D. seems to be very well made and was well packaged. I had an issue with the hardware, however, and had to provide some of my own. Still uncomfortable about the adjusting screws, and will probably make further modifications there. The bracket is sturdy, well designed, and expertly made. By this time the stock windshield (#2) has cracked in three places. BRP denied a claim for another warranty replacement. The well made metal bracket made it possible for me to see that the Spyder cowl is warped, and that the attachment points are not in the correct places. Hope it is ammo for my feud with BRP. Note: I suspect this cowl issue is why some of the F1 windshield did not fit.

The windshield installed quickly and easily once I replaced the screws. No instructions, just a diagram, but it is not hard to do. I think it looks better than the proverbial uncut toenail in shape, but sticking up above the body like it does is not too pretty. Good for touring and cold weather, but not for showing off. It does provide good protection both vertically and laterally.

It works very well! Nancy is short (5'2"), so she wanted to try the shield raised only about an inch, and not tilted at all. I rode it that way and it worked fine for me at 6'0", too. Much less wind noise in my helmet, nothing on my neck, chest, or faceshield, and only minor head buffeting above 70 mph. No noticeable buffeting below that. With minor adjustment, it might be pretty quiet and wind-free at all speeds. The shield does shake around a bit at speed, but is sturdily made, so that souldn't be a problem. Nancy came back from her test ride, where she forgot her neck gaiter or balaclava, with a smile on her face. Guess that's the acid test...the windshield stays, for now.
-Scotty

BRPjunkie
03-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Finally got out after 6:00 to try the Givi at 52 degrees. The 22.5" Givi works much better than the BRP Tour, but if you are taller than 5' 10" or have taller risers, you probably need something higher, but this is about as tall as I can live with. With 1" BRP riser, I don't sit too upright, and wind is right at the top of my helmet, but not hitting me in the chin like the BRP tour. If I slide back to the bump on the seat, I drop just below the air stream. Sliding forward puts the wind at the top of my helmet. If I tip my head down just a touch, the wind flows over the top. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, this is a very nice looking screen and Givi did a nice job in blending it with the Spyder lines. Givi put a nice curve in it that wraps around and follows the lines of the cowl. The black dot masking at the bottom of the screen is another nice touch. It would be nice to get off one bike with one screen and on another with a different one so you can make an immediate comparison. I do not want to risk stripping my cowl screw holes so I did not switch back and forth and made the comparison from memory of my last ride on Wednesday. I did about 8 miles with top speed of 65 and I did not get any freeway miles in. At these speed it is rock solid with no vibration. Maybe tomorrow if it warms up I'll try the freeway. On a scale of 1 -10 I give it an 8 for function, a 9 for fit and form and a 10 for price ($135). This may not be the perfect windshield and certainly will not be for everyone, but I think my search is over. :D

bone crusher
03-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Do either offer any wind protection for the hands?

BRPjunkie
03-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Givi does not. You will neeed the BRP Ultra Tour or one of the other shields with wings out to the mirrors.

effgjamis
03-22-2009, 05:07 AM
I have tried the EVO III, CalSi, and then went to the Rifle with an extra 3" height and I now have no buffeting at any speed I am confortable with, up to 95.
Nice quiet pocket and I sit almost upright with the NMN 4' risers. The Rifle does wobble a bit in speeds above 65 but does quiet down at over 80, I am quite satisfied with the the Extra Large Rifle. Hands, well not too much coverage there.
The EVO III I had alot of head buffeting and some with the CalSi, but I believe it to be the short height of the shields for me at 6'2" and sitting up..

jnt
03-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Also got a CHAD for W's. :2thumbs: No such issues with mounting, thankfully. W has pronounced it 'wunnerful' as no buffeting and way less noise. With the CHAD set for her (4'10") I (5'10") experienced clean, smooth air coming off the shield. We have not ridden it in rain yet, but anticipate no issues.

Also noticed good construction, good finish, etc. :firstplace: Got our vote(s).

jt

tatt2r
03-22-2009, 02:45 PM
i actually created a metaphor for large windshields...(uncut toenails)
if you look at the newer spyders they put rubber bushings under the windshields now ,,,:coffee:

BRPjunkie
03-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Did another 10 miles with Givi and conclusion is the same; it works for me. As expected, at freeway speeds, there is a bit more wind, but much of that seemd to be crosswind not headwind. Passing trucks or trucks passing make it hard to tell where the wind is comming from. The post script; as I was jockeying it in the garage to back it in place, I found that the "nice curve" Givi put on the shield results in the clutch lever hitting the shield on full right handlebar turn, just like the CalSci. A little rotation of the lever fixes it. What was strange was that in the 20 miles on the two test rides, including many rignt turns, I never noticed it. Just wanted the ride test to be a full disclosure report.

NancysToy
03-23-2009, 08:10 AM
I got in a few more miles with the C.H.A.D. too. First, it may not look as sleek, but spacing the windshield out for the adjusting bracket keeps the clutch lever from hitting at full turn. I have no interference, even with my hand on the lever. Second, it does shield the hands from the wind somewhat. I tested to see where the wind stream hit, and it is now just at the outside of the grips, at moderate speed. Not sure about the highway. I even forgot to close the cuffs on my riding jacket, and had no wind blowing up my sleeves. Much improved! It is also now possible to ride with the faceshield on my helmet open to the first notch for ventilation. Much appreciated in the cold, since I can now wear my glasses again. In fact, I completely forgot to lower the faceshield a couple of times. With a stock windshield, the wind tries to tear the open shield off the helmet, but nothing at all reminded me to put it down until I noticed there was no glare. I'm voting for "practical" over "pretty." The shield stays!
-Scotty

ataDude
03-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Good summary, Scotty. The CHAD is my winter shield and the medium CalSci is my other three-season shield...

Winter is function over form... for sure.

I got in a few more miles with the C.H.A.D. too. First, it may not look as sleek, but spacing the windshield out for the adjusting bracket keeps the clutch lever from hitting at full turn. I have no interference, even with my hand on the lever. Second, it does shield the hands from the wind somewhat. I tested to see where the wind stream hit, and it is now just at the outside of the grips, at moderate speed. Not sure about the highway. I even forgot to close the cuffs on my riding jacket, and had no wind blowing up my sleeves. Much improved! It is also now possible to ride with the faceshield on my helmet open to the first notch for ventilation. Much appreciated in the cold, since I can now wear my glasses again. In fact, I completely forgot to lower the faceshield a couple of times. With a stock windshield, the wind tries to tear the open shield off the helmet, but nothing at all reminded me to put it down until I noticed there was no glare. I'm voting for "practical" over "pretty." The shield stays!
-Scotty

tatt2r
03-23-2009, 10:31 AM
:rolleyes::barf::barf::barf:

NancysToy
03-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Oops! We traumatized Tatt2r.
-Scotty

ataDude
03-23-2009, 11:00 AM
You wait... one of these days he WILL buy a real windshield... maybe after his first surprise hail storm. :D

Oops! We traumatized Tatt2r.
-Scotty

BRPjunkie
03-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Did another 10 miles with Givi and conclusion is the same; it works for me. As expected, at freeway speeds, there is a bit more wind, but much of that seemd to be crosswind not headwind. Passing trucks or trucks passing make it hard to tell where the wind is comming from. The post script; as I was jockeying it in the garage to back it in place, I found that the "nice curve" Givi put on the shield results in the clutch lever hitting the shield on full right handlebar turn, just like the CalSci. A little rotation of the lever fixes it. What was strange was that in the 20 miles on the two test rides, including many rignt turns, I never noticed it. Just wanted the ride test to be a full disclosure report.

Went back out for a short ride to see why I did not notice clutch lever contact during two test rides. When making a full right turn, I have the clutch in since I am at a very slow speed. I do not release the clutch until after the bars have straightened out enough for it to clear. In any case, the little rotation on the clutch lever makes it a non-issue. I'm still givin' Givi good marks and I told my wife that I am now a monogamous windshield guy and will not buy another. I may look when she isn't around, but don't we all do that.

TJ_Spyder
03-23-2009, 03:12 PM
... I may look when she isn't around, but don't we all do that.

Yup. Just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu.

PS: Ordered my Givi last night, will let you know what I think ASAP. BTW I am also 5'10" and have the 1" riser so it may not be a very different second opinion scenario.

bone crusher
03-24-2009, 08:30 PM
-Scotty

Thanks Scotty...