PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have a good one?

maxummike
07-22-2016, 05:42 AM
I purchased a new 2014 RT Limited last year. I had to have it towed twice and major work done to replace hydrolic pumps, this year the gauges went again requiring big repair, the front trunk leaks. I only have 3500 miles on the bike. Does anyone own any Spyder that doesn't have issues? i joined this group and all i see is people having problems with their bikes, I go on facebood, same thing nothing but problems. Im very concerned because my Warranty will be running out soon. Me and my wife really enjoy riding, but you have to be a little nervious about what will happen next? Maybe I bought a lemmon?

yudydude
07-22-2016, 05:47 AM
I have a 2014RTL which I bought early last year. I now have 15,000 miles on it, and the only thing that had a problem was the DESS issue. My dealer replaced the key module and now good to go. Bike has been great and ride it everywhere. Don't worry about what might go wrong, just ride and enjoy it.

dlby
07-22-2016, 06:06 AM
Warranty should not be out soon---

Got 9k miles of fun in sun on ours np

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Sam Mac
07-22-2016, 06:29 AM
As long as you are still covered by the factory warranty I would extend it to the max.

CapeSpyder
07-22-2016, 06:31 AM
I love mine. Ryde to work almost every day. About to go out the dorr this am to meet up with another spyderlover.com member.

safecracker
07-22-2016, 06:35 AM
I have a 2011 RTS, 42,000 miles and going strong. I have had a few isues, but a good.dealer who has been great in getting my bike repaired. Have ridden many 1,000 plus mile.trips. Bruce

bodymanpainter
07-22-2016, 06:46 AM
We have a 2014 RTS with 25000 miles and have had no issues at all with the bike itself!
One of the add on's went out causing limp mode but it was a minor fix.
Hope to do the same with my F3-T.
Good luck with yours.
Toby

Bob Denman
07-22-2016, 07:00 AM
:D I love mine! :D
I've only had the cruise control quit, and I did kill a speaker...
Both were warranteed, and my dealer has been GREAT! :2thumbs:

Buckeye Bleau
07-22-2016, 07:18 AM
Mine has been charmed, no issues at all that were not caused by me or my actions.

keep reading there are plenty of posts about successful, proud and very satisfied owners. It is easy to get on here and listen to the complaints, it is also easy to hear a complaint when it is only a call for advice.

"An unhappy customer will tell everyome, a satisfied will only tell a very few!"

Joe

blacklightning
07-22-2016, 07:45 AM
I have a 2014RTL which I bought early last year. I now have 15,000 miles on it, and the only thing that had a problem was the DESS issue. My dealer replaced the key module and now good to go. Bike has been great and ride it everywhere. Don't worry about what might go wrong, just ride and enjoy it.
:agree:I have a 2014 RT that I purchased in Sept. 2014. I also have 15k miles and have only had the DESS issue. I allowed this to go on for a year. About 2 months ago I had the key module replaced, and have had no other troubles.

retread
07-22-2016, 07:48 AM
One question, where are the hydraulic pumps on an RT? If your dealer told you about them, he's blowing smoke.

john

Bob Denman
07-22-2016, 07:55 AM
Perhaps in the clutch engagement system? :dontknow:

Mr. White
07-22-2016, 08:15 AM
My 2011 RT-S required a throttle body under warranty and Mr. Cognac has had no problems. I bought him in Oct. 2014. My dealer threw in a four year warranty to seal the deal. He gave me a very good deal after I told him that if he mistreated me, I would call 1-800-AARP-KICKASS and they would send out some retired Mafia and take care of business.

:joke:

Pampurrs
07-22-2016, 08:33 AM
I have a 2015 RT that I've had for a little over a year and have ridden 22,000 trouble free miles. You see a lot of posts here about people who are enjoying their Spyders. Sorry you are having problems, but once they get ironed out, you will be able to enjoy your Spyder.

Pam

RussRT
07-22-2016, 08:48 AM
I have a 2015 RT Limited!! Zero problems with mine. Just over a year old. Hope you get your problems worked out!

Pirate looks at --
07-22-2016, 09:13 AM
If you have issues and you come to this site looking for issues, we have a few members that love to whine about every little thing, but they usually leave real quickly. In this case you posted a negative thread, asking for positive input, and got it. The vast majority of Syder Ryders love their motorcycle. When we bought our 13 RTL I came on this web site reading about all of the issues with the 13 RTs catching fire. I could have gotten paranoid and thought it would happen to me too. I decide to ryde the wheels off of it instead. Now 31000 + miles and you can't wipe the smile off of my face. If I had believed all of the negative garbage, I would have sold that motorcycle and never ridden again. So my wife loves to ryde so much we just bought another Spyder and we love them both! I LOVE to watch her ryde!

In life you get what you look for! Get the issues behind you, and look forward to all of the fun you and your wife can have Ryding. Then come back to this forum with a positive outlook and you will be overwhelmed by how much fun 90% of our members are having! Who knows your wife may decide she wants her own Spyder real soon!:yes::yes::yes: (Nothing says fun like dancing wieners!)

Peace and safe Ryding!

Big F
07-22-2016, 09:24 AM
I purchased a new 2014 RT Limited last year. I had to have it towed twice and major work done to replace hydrolic pumps, this year the gauges went again requiring big repair, the front trunk leaks. I only have 3500 miles on the bike. Does anyone own any Spyder that doesn't have issues? i joined this group and all i see is people having problems with their bikes, I go on facebood, same thing nothing but problems. Im very concerned because my Warranty will be running out soon. Me and my wife really enjoy riding, but you have to be a little nervious about what will happen next? Maybe I bought a lemmon?

The problem is you are hearing/reading from the few that have problems. You are NOT hearing from the thousands that do NOT have any issues. I happen to be one of those as I'm on my 3rd Spyder and can joyfully say I have NOT had any issues with any one of them??? Keep the chin up and ride on.
BIG F

Highwayman2013
07-22-2016, 09:26 AM

Get the extended warranty and ride on. You can purchase 3 years of coverage.

Chupaca
07-22-2016, 09:35 AM
:agree: when you go to a doctors office /clinic /hospital, what do you find, mostly sick people with issues. Sadly, that is what sells. This site has an equal amount of good new, bad news, sad news, and you don't want to know news :roflblack: but you have to read it all. This site helps those with issues but you can not assume that those few with problems mean everyone is doomed to the same. Sometimes the problems lie more on how the dealer handles them than in the machine....:thumbup:

cognaccruiser
07-22-2016, 09:42 AM
I'm also curious about where the "hydrolic pumps" are? Just cause I'd like to know.
The leaking frunk is rare but there are several possible causes. I had it and the dealer replaced the tub under warranty of my 14 RTS. Do a little search and see what could be causing it. Get it fixed and move on. My 14 came with the extended Best Warranty. I thought that was pretty routine. Perhaps you didn't get it or perhaps something got missed.
I guess this is a glass half full situation. I come on here and see a small number of people whining about problems but I also see great numbers of people that have had little or no problems and enjoying their Spyder, like me. If you look for negative impressions you can always find them.

Gary

Gator37
07-22-2016, 09:47 AM

Have had my 2014 RTS since Feb. last year and have 7,500 trouble free miles on it so far. Sorry for your experiences, hope that is taken care of and you come to enjoy your ride. Ken

MEP
07-22-2016, 11:30 AM
I've had a few issues (relatively minor but still annoying) but, on balance, I still think that the Spyder is a really good machine. I'd buy another one.

JayBros
07-22-2016, 11:49 AM
In my mind an "issue" is a problem with a Spyder during the warranty period, extended warranty period included, that, for some reason the dealer and or BRP can't/won't fix under warranty. (Read it to see what is NOT covered.) Remember, BRP and a whole host of manufacturers, you pick the industry, source parts from third parties. These third party sources meet testing and quality specifications established by the end product manufacturer. :cus: happens, parts fail. If the part is covered by warranty there is replaced there is no "issue." I too would like to know what hydraulic pump(s) the dealer is talking about.

rpatsh
07-22-2016, 12:09 PM
I love mine, I had a 2012 RT then bought a 2015 F3, I have had no problems with either one of them. (knock on wood)!!!:doorag:

Copperman
07-22-2016, 12:27 PM
I hate to jump on this bandwagon, but I have no choice.

I am on my third spyder and my wife is on her second. Neither one of us has had any problem with ours. We ride quite a bit and have taken many vacations on our Spyders and will continue to do so.

I hope you resolve whatever issues you have and enjoy it for what it is. You'll be glad you did

SpyderAnn01
07-22-2016, 12:31 PM
I have 87,000 miles on my 2014 RTS SM6 with no problems. Sorry yours is having issues.

Pirate looks at --
07-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Hey Ann,

You should really get out and ryde more!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Whitelightning
07-22-2016, 12:37 PM
I think you should extend your warranty and find a new service department.

Bob Denman
07-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Hey Ann,

You should really get out and ryde more!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Think what she could have accomplished, if she wasn't towing Joe and the trailer around behind her! :joke:

ARtraveler
07-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Yes, I have a good one.

Purchased my 2014 RT-S on April 30, 2014. Now 23,000 trouble free miles. This is my 5th :ani29: with the same record of trouble free miles.

Here come the dancing wieners. :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

fispyder
07-22-2016, 01:36 PM
I owned 2010 RTS put 42,500 miles on it had no issues traded for 2014 RTL put 22,500 miles on it no issues traded for 2016 F3S have 8500 miles on it still going strong. I don't know what to tell you because of the problems your having. All I know with mine they have been trouble free.

Pampurrs
07-22-2016, 01:51 PM
The dancing weiners are ok :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

But I prefer couples dancing :dg1::yes: :dg1::yes::dg1::yes::dg1::yes::dg1::yes:

I love my :spyder2:

Pam

kmdowney167
07-22-2016, 03:27 PM
I have a 2013 RS with 17,000 miles and my wife's STS with 11, 000 miles with no issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpyderNeil
07-22-2016, 04:34 PM

I have had only a couple of minor issues since new in April.
I just got back from a 3940 Mile ride to Deadwood SD for the rally. The trike ran flawlessly for the entire trip from 35 deg. to 95 deg., up to 82 MPH, not one issue. Figured gas mileage out to 39.24 MPG.

Neil

rcturner
07-22-2016, 06:17 PM
Get the extended warranty and ride on. You can purchase 3 years of coverage.

I talked to my dealers salesman and their service manager about an extended warranty on my 2014 RT-S. It was their demo so the warranty started in 2014. Both told me that on the 1330s the extended warranty isn't worth buying because they just haven't had enough issues that would be covered to make it worthwhile. I have had the DESS module replaced and now everything seems to be absolutely without problems of any kind on this bike.

Buggy
07-22-2016, 08:06 PM
Mine is great ...no issues

PW2013STL
07-22-2016, 08:28 PM
Sorry to say that I am one who has posted about problems and not the good times. If I came on here and posted about every time I took my Spyder out without any issue I would have more posts then Bobnojoke

Bottom line is my Spyder is great and I would even ride it to Alaska and back without a second thought (wait A second I did do that last year).
Sorry about your issues, but as others have stated once those are worked out you should have a great and reliable :spyder2:

Tazzel
07-22-2016, 08:32 PM
no they are all horrible you should just take yours out to the junk pile and burn it.

What do you think since most of us have purchased more then one.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-22-2016, 08:34 PM
If you have issues and you come to this site looking for issues, we have a few members that love to whine about every little thing, but they usually leave real quickly. In this case you posted a negative thread, asking for positive input, and got it. The vast majority of Syder Ryders love their motorcycle. When we bought our 13 RTL I came on this web site reading about all of the issues with the 13 RTs catching fire. I could have gotten paranoid and thought it would happen to me too. I decide to ryde the wheels off of it instead. Now 31000 + miles and you can't wipe the smile off of my face. If I had believed all of the negative garbage, I would have sold that motorcycle and never ridden again. So my wife loves to ryde so much we just bought another Spyder and we love them both! I LOVE to watch her ryde!

In life you get what you look for! Get the issues behind you, and look forward to all of the fun you and your wife can have Ryding. Then come back to this forum with a positive outlook and you will be overwhelmed by how much fun 90% of our members are having! Who knows your wife may decide she wants her own Spyder real soon!:yes::yes::yes: (Nothing says fun like dancing wieners!)

Peace and safe Ryding!
.. Google ..... " EMPATHY " it will make you a better person.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-22-2016, 08:37 PM
Someone already said something about checking your warranty time .............:agree: ..... I don't think anyone bought a 2014 RT that didn't get an extra 1 year free BEST EXTENSION when they purchased it new.........Mike :thumbup:

ravseren
07-22-2016, 09:26 PM
I just finished a 4700 mile trip to Wyoming with the wife, and the only thing I needed was a new rear tire that I bought at Pitbull. But, I had over 13000 on the original tire at that point. Never an issue or problem.
Just go out and enjoy, one can Alwys find problems if you look long enough and hard enough.

ARtraveler
07-22-2016, 09:28 PM
Sorry to say that I am one who has posted about problems and not the good times. If I came on here and posted about every time I took my Spyder out without any issue I would have more posts then Bobnojoke

Bottom line is my Spyder is great and I would even ride it to Alaska and back without a second thought (wait A second I did do that last year).
Sorry about your issues, but as others have stated once those are worked out you should have a great and reliable :spyder2:

Yup! They were here. :bowdown::bowdown:

IntoTheWind
07-22-2016, 10:59 PM
I have a 2012 RTL with approximately 3400 miles on the odometer, it's been a good bike overall. I'm lucky to a have a dealer who works with his customers when the need arises, satisfied with my Spyder experience.:doorag:

spyderCodes
07-22-2016, 11:08 PM
It would seem to me the problems you have had should have been under warranty.

For the record, I've owned three and have loved every one of them.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
07-22-2016, 11:27 PM

Nobody will ever have as many posts as Bob. If by some miracle you ever get close to his count, all he has to do is comment on your post and he just equaled out your post.
I have had 2 Spyders for a total of 17,000 miles in just over a year and a half and both have been trouble free. Although I probably just jinxed it by saying something.

Ex Winger
07-23-2016, 05:17 AM
Had my 2015 RT-S just over a year and 21000 km with no problems.Been lucky i guess because never a problem on any bikes i have owned over the past 40 years.
Bill

Richardv
07-23-2016, 05:47 AM
:agree: when you go to a doctors office /clinic /hospital, what do you find, mostly sick people with issues. Sadly, that is what sells. This site has an equal amount of good new, bad news, sad news, and you don't want to know news :roflblack: but you have to read it all. This site helps those with issues but you can not assume that those few with problems mean everyone is doomed to the same. Sometimes the problems lie more on how the dealer handles them than in the machine....:thumbup:

Between the 4 of us, very few little problem. Recurrent ones were dealer generated.

We are now totaling well over 100 000 km. ... of pure pleasure.

Richard

JayD
07-23-2016, 07:06 AM
Hve over 10, 000 miles on my RTS and have had zero problems. Everything has problems at one point or another. Your are just getting yours out early.

maxummike
07-23-2016, 07:22 AM
I love riding, never had a motorcycle and this kept the peace at home. just frustrated that stuff keeps breaking. To answer the question of where the pump is? I dont know. they said it was a pump that required taking the engine apart for. Im not too knowlegable on Spyders. Its good to see alot of you have no issues with yours. Hope to get to that point sometime. I got the call last night the bike is done. Ill see you on the road and thanks for all your comments

spyderherb
07-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Sorry you feel this way. I am in North Babylon for the summer. I LOVE my 2015 RT Ltd!! I have 7000mi on it. Did have one problem that happened on my one yr anniversary of purchase. Yes, the dreaded DESS problem. They towed it, fixed it, and i got over it. RYDE ON :yes::yes::yes:. When your's is ready, let's meet up for a ryde. Long Island is beautiful this time of the year ;););)

NorCalBud
07-25-2016, 05:54 PM
We have a '12 RTL that's had (knock on wood...) a very few minor issues, all taken care of under warranty. I recommend acquiring an extended for everyone just because Spyder parts are a bit spendy!

Social Media certainly gives a very narrow view of most any subject. People rarely go "On Line" to champion the things they enjoy or even love dearly, but they are very quick to expose flaws and trample on something that they believe have wronged them in some manner. I wish it wasn't but, it's just a sign of the times.
You could also say that I ain't got time to praise my Spyder when I'm out Rydin'!
Just my 2 cents.... Ryde Safe!
Bud~

Deanna777
07-25-2016, 06:49 PM
I only have had the D.E.S.S. module replaced twice( and the switch replaced once) ,under warranty and I have 13,600 miles.

I love my :spyder2:.

Deanna

kngfsh27
07-25-2016, 08:59 PM
My '14 RTL that I bought in November of '14 has been trouble free for 14500 miles except for the tires. I had the fronts replaced at 400 miles and an alignment done. The rear tire was replaced at 7650 miles with a Kumho. I just had the fronts replaced again with another alignment. Other than that, completely troublefree. The tires I contribute to I do not travel on the interstate. If a road looks like it was once paved I am on it. I also feel compelled to ride through every town that has 120 year old brick streets. I almost forgot, I did have to replace the water pump. I do have a tendency to ride like I stole it. The front tires I just took off had a lot of stress cracks.