PDA

View Full Version : RT Hold/Tie downs for the Badger ferry crossing

bikerjays
07-19-2016, 05:14 PM
Has anyone used the Badger ferry with their RT? If so, what did you use as a hold/tie down and what attach points did you use.

Suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-19-2016, 05:45 PM
I doubt many folks here have any idea what the " BADGER FERRY " looks like, but might have good advice if they did .....help us ...we help you.......jmho.....Mike :thumbup:

Mjm
07-19-2016, 06:19 PM
Has anyone used the Badger ferry with their RT? If so, what did you use as a hold/tie down and what attach points did you use.

Suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

My wife and I were on the Badger last year with our RT. what I did was run a short ratchet strap through the rim and attach the hooks from the strap to the grating that the RT was parked on.i did that to all three tires, they will tell you you only need 2 straps but I used 3 because Lake Michigan can get rough sometimes and the third strap is cheap insurance !
Also on the front chrome wheels I used a small piece of an old towel under the straps to prevent any scratches
This is my first post on Spyderlovers.I have been lurking for a few years and want everyone to know that I consider this to be a very valuable resource for everything spyder!!
We purchased a 2014 RTL in July of 14 and love it

ByronM
07-19-2016, 06:51 PM
My wife and I were on the Badger last year with our RT. what I did was run a short ratchet strap through the rim and attach the hooks from the strap to the grating that the RT was parked on.i did that to all three tires, they will tell you you only need 2 straps but I used 3 because Lake Michigan can get rough sometimes and the third strap is cheap insurance !
Also on the front chrome wheels I used a small piece of an old towel under the straps to prevent any scratches
This is my first post on Spyderlovers.I have been lurking for a few years and want everyone to know that I consider this to be a very valuable resource for everything spyder!!

Did you have any clearance issues when driving on to the ferry?

Mjm
07-19-2016, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=ByronM;1158547]Did you have any clearance issues when driving on to the ferry?[/QUOTE

None, that was a concern of mine also

Sam Mac
07-19-2016, 07:28 PM
I doubt many folks here have any idea what the " BADGER FERRY " looks like, but might have good advice if they did .....help us ...we help you.......jmho.....Mike :thumbup:

https://www.ssbadger.com/

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-19-2016, 08:40 PM
I agree on using a rachet strap ...only I would put it or them over the tire/s ( in-line ) so only the tire and strap touch.....nothing can get scratched ..............I do this when my Spyder is in my truck for traveling .....it has never moved.....................Mike :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
07-19-2016, 09:14 PM
Now that you have the tie downs all figured out I hope you have a wonderful trip. Joe and I took the ferry many times when we lived in MI. Our favorite thing to do was take the evening sail from MI and we would get a sleeping berth. Open the window and listen to the water lapping against the boat will put you to sleep.

garb55
07-20-2016, 12:04 AM
Now that you have the tie downs all figured out I hope you have a wonderful trip. Joe and I took the ferry many times when we lived in MI. Our favorite thing to do was take the evening sail from MI and we would get a sleeping berth. Open the window and listen to the water lapping against the boat will put you to sleep.

or
It will make you run to the bathroom :roflblack::roflblack:

bikerjays
07-20-2016, 05:26 PM

Thank you for all your inputs.

Bob Denman
07-20-2016, 06:24 PM
:agree:, and :welcome:. :2thumbs:

Indyron
07-20-2016, 06:36 PM
We took the ferry twice, once each way. No tie downs, no problem. Used a half cover an no problem

billybovine
07-20-2016, 07:20 PM
Why do you need tie downs? It's not going to fall over.

Bob Denman
07-20-2016, 07:29 PM
Could it get slid around? :dontknow:

Ex Winger
07-21-2016, 04:53 AM
Why do you need tie downs? It's not going to fall over.
If it does fall over thats one heck of a rough crossing:joke:

uralski
07-21-2016, 06:44 AM
We were on the ferry Sunday with our RT and trailer, no tie downs needed for three wheelers.