PDA

View Full Version : here is a interesting question for everyone.

cuznjohn
07-18-2016, 03:15 AM
with the convention starting tomorrow in Ohio, people want the governor to suspend the OPEN CARRY LAW, around the convention center. DO YOU THINK THIS IS A GOOD IDEA, AND SHOULD HE DO IT.

personally i think it is a good idea, there will be a lot of protesters outside the fences they put up, and it might become a bloodbath if they have lots of people with guns. SO WHAT DO YOU THINK. the governor has said he can't suspend the law, and will not try to do it.

lizmcg
07-18-2016, 04:56 AM
From what Judge Jeanine said on Fox News, because open carry is apparently legal, the only way to do that would be to pass a new law or declare martial law, and he can't do the first and doesn't have grounds for the second, even if he wanted to do something so extreme. I'm no legal expert, but it sounds reasonable, and she knows what she's talking about. Besides, the thugs wouldn't abide by any such declaration anyway.

Dan McNally
07-18-2016, 06:52 AM
People who would shoot others over a political convention are not the sort of people who would obey any law, since murder is already illegal.

Protestors who decide to ramp up the level of their protest may have second thoughts if the people they are about to physically attack are visibly armed.

People who are being attacked by thugs who carry signs, to somehow legitimize their physical attacks on others, have the right to defend themselves.

Violating Constitutional rights goes two ways - protestors have the right to peaceful assembly; Ohioans have the right to open carry. The two rights are not mutually exclusive.

Bob Denman
07-18-2016, 07:14 AM
I'm a staunch advocate of the Second Amendment, and a Benefactor Member of the NRA...
That being said: he should just declare martial law, take the crowds off of the streets in the evenings, and let everyone go home safe...
Is it an ideal solution? No...
Just because you can do something: doesn't mean that you should. I would not go anywhere near an armed crowd that is already on edge. :shocked:
This will be a disaster, if the amateurs open up on one another. You'll see the Second Amendment take a kick to the groin, like never before! nojoke

PrairieSpyder
07-18-2016, 07:41 AM
The mere presence of guns doesn't cause a bloodbath. Like someone said, someone wanting to do harm won't comply with a gun ban, anyway.

I'd rather be in a room full of people, most of whom are armed than in a room full of people with only one person armed . . . especially if that one person isn't me.

BajaRon
07-18-2016, 07:43 AM
I don't like open carry. It's just an invitation for someone to try and take your gun away from you. You wouldn't carry $1,000 open carry where everyone could see exactly what you had.

I'd suspend Open Carry and leave everything else alone (meaning concealed carry would still be allowed). That way the 2nd Amendment would not be infringed upon but it would still reduce the likely hood of something going wrong.

Bob Denman
07-18-2016, 07:45 AM
But it's not just the presence of the guns. You also have a very emotionally-charged large group of people. nojoke I fear that somebody will do something stupid, and set it all in motion... :shocked:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-18-2016, 07:45 AM
it's hard to say what is best but i do believe they should keep protesters a long distance away from convention center and
not be allowed to step foot on convention center property.

Bob Denman
07-18-2016, 07:46 AM
I'd suspend Open Carry and leave everything else alone (meaning concealed carry would still be allowed). That way the 2nd Amendment would not be infringed upon but it would still reduce the likely hood of something going wrong.

I don't know if they allow concealed-carry in Ohio. Could somebody please help us out on this?

BoilerAnimal
07-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Illinois was the last state to allow open carry. I don't agree with all gun laws but that is beside the point, because it is the law, it is their right.

I also don't want other rights to be infringed, such as the right to peaceful protest. There have been too many instances where permits were required for a constitutionally protected right to protest, then also requiring said protest to be held far from the event being protested. I don't expect protesters from any side to be allowed access to private property but public property is another story. Be careful what rights you want curtailed to fit a particular situation.........the next time it may be your issue that is being restricted, moved out of sight, or, quite possibly, totally forbidden!

Chupaca
07-18-2016, 09:46 AM
Protesting groups are like restless cattle....does not take much to start a stampede...:yikes: I am thankful for two things...one , is it's not my decision. Two I will be nowhere near there. With the way things are going lately around the country the smarter ones will stay away...:pray:

mowin
07-18-2016, 10:41 AM
:popcorn::popcorn:..

MRH
07-18-2016, 10:45 AM
I'm rather tired of one standard for us, and another for the politicians. If a party's platform supports open carry laws, then they really should have nothing to fear from being in a situation where there is the potential for many people to be armed. If there is good reason to be concerned, then perhaps the laws themselves need to be reexamined.

I don't have a particularly strong view on open carry one way or the other, but if a party is going to support it, then they damn well ought to support it when it might actually effect their safety, one way or the other.

Bobleach45
07-18-2016, 10:58 AM
Open carry should not exist. Look at the problems it caused in Texas. Because people are walking around with rifles slung over their shoulder they couldn't tell if they were the bad guys or the good guys. I have a concealed weapons permit but don't want open carry. Easy way for some idiot to get someone's gun if they don't have one. Goes against common sense.

GOZFST
07-18-2016, 11:01 AM
I have had a CC permit for more that 10 years, but I am not a fan of open carry. Like previously stated you are inviting trouble, plus putting a sign on your back that says "shoot me first". I listened to the emotional interview with the head of the policemans union yesterday urging the Gov to enact the ban, but was struck by the double standard he wanted to enact. The police don't prevent crime, they investigate a crime that has already happened. He wants to remove the possibility of a person protecting themselves or others. I know I wouldn't go there for anything. I've read that the Black Panthers will be there carrying as well as some biker group. It'll be interesting.

spyderCodes
07-18-2016, 11:04 AM
It is going to be an interesting real world experiment testing the hypothesis of "An armed society is a polite society".

Machinegunner
07-18-2016, 11:20 AM
I don't believe in open carry either. It is intimidating to non gun owners. I believe in concealed carry because as a law abiding citizen no one needs to know I have one. Keep the bad guys guessing. If the worst happens, then that is the only time to show it. Then be careful the authorities don't mistake you for the bad guy. With open carry, you are already suspect. If the Governor wants to do something, he could ask the Law abiding citizens not to open carry on the streets near the convention to help keep the calm. They could still carry concealed and everyone would feel better. Safe, but not intimidating.

Cruzr Joe
07-18-2016, 11:26 AM
I don't believe in open carry either. It is intimidating to non gun owners. I believe in concealed carry because as a law abiding citizen no one needs to know I have one. Keep the bad guys guessing. If the worst happens, then that is the only time to show it. Then be careful the authorities don't mistake you for the bad guy. With open carry, you are already suspect. If the Governor wants to do something, he could ask the Law abiding citizens not to open carry on the streets near the convention to help keep the calm. They could still carry concealed and everyone would feel better. Safe, but not intimidating.

Mostly, the law abiding citizens will not be the ones who will open carry in a crowd.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
07-18-2016, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure about how Ohio's carry law is written. The might not allow concealed-carry...
But I like your idea: if it is possible! :thumbup:

New York does not specify the manner of carry... It's the "Dealer's choice!" :D
I'd never want to openly carry. If somebody has bad intentions planned, and sees that you have steel: you'll get their first bullet! nojoke

Lastchance
07-18-2016, 11:41 AM
I don't know if they allow concealed-carry in Ohio. Could somebody please help us out on this?

Yep my brother lives there and has one

Bob Denman
07-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the info! :clap:
Everybody should just tuck everything in, and keep 'em guessing! :thumbup:

2Paw
07-18-2016, 11:52 AM
But it's not just the presence of the guns. You also have a very emotionally-charged large group of people. nojoke I fear that somebody will do something stupid, and set it all in motion... :shocked:

Rest assured that someone will do something stupid! Hopefully it will not involve guns. I believe it was George Carlin that said "Think about how stupid the average person is, 50 percent are even stupider.

Bob Denman
07-18-2016, 12:05 PM
:agree: He DID say it! :clap:

cuznjohn
07-18-2016, 12:20 PM
like one of the posters said b4, i don't see having a open carry. here in new york city, we have to carry our guns, unloaded in a locked box, to and from a range. many, many, many years ago, when i first got my license, i would shoot in long beach new york with my uncle. someone had said to me to check into the local police and let them know i was in the town with a gun. so one day i stopped in and let them know. the desk officer said thanks for letting us know, and he wanted to know what gun i was carrying to protect the gun in the case. i told him i didn't have another gun, and he said, please don't come into our town with a unprotected gun in a box. so baiscly it is the same with a open carry, it only takes a split second for someone to knock you out or hold you up because they saw a gun that they could steal.

Snowbelt Spyder
07-18-2016, 12:58 PM

Ohio not only allows concealed carry, but also honors licenses from ALL other states. 37 states, including Ohio, allow open carry of long guns without restrictions of permits/licenses required. So, the whole thing is just a red herring so the media can focus on the thing instead of focusing on law abiding behavior.....or lack thereof. So, suspending open carry does nothing to prevent the presence of firearms.

ARtraveler
07-18-2016, 01:06 PM
Another difficult to solve situation. My solution: I am going to stay far far away from Cleveland. :thumbup:

BajaRon
07-18-2016, 01:15 PM
There are just too many built in issues with Open Carry. I think it works well for the Anti-Gun advocates because it just doesn't make common sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muhKdT-FA4U

Dan McNally
07-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Declaring martial law is a suspension of Constitutional Rights. To do so because something "might" happen opens the door to a loss of all rights, because something "might happen" any time.

Unless there is an actual emergency, there is no legal way for the Governor of Ohio to pick and choose which laws he will do away with - nor should there be. Dictators rise where governments have the ability to take away rights with the stroke of a pen.

Be careful what you wish for.

mowin
07-18-2016, 10:12 PM
I've eaten enough popcorn. :popcorn:
Looks like open carry worked well for the first night of the " non political" RNC. Let's hope the trend continues.

Gray Ghost
07-18-2016, 10:35 PM
If a party's platform supports open carry laws, then they really should have nothing to fear...
This wasn't started by the Republicans. It was some folks in Ohio wanting their Governor to exceed his powers.

Open carry should not exist. Look at the problems it caused in Texas...
I live in Texas and don't recall any problems it caused here. There were those that said blood would run in the streets if it passed. We have had floods since then but they were all water.

I personally approve of citizens being allowed to exercise their constitutional rights as they please. After all, the government can't tell you to keep your opinions to yourself - sort of a concealed carry for the First Amendment. A lot of states with only concealed carry were very strict on people being able to tell you were carrying because of "printing" and just the sight of a weapon peeking out when someone reached for something on a high shelf and the shirt rode up could be a felony. In open carry states, even if the individual wants to carry concealed they don't have to worry about a wardrobe malfunction with a weapon getting them busted.

BajaRon
07-18-2016, 10:52 PM
I've eaten enough popcorn. :popcorn:
Looks like open carry worked well for the first night of the " non political" RNC. Let's hope the trend continues.

It was my understanding that the police department made the request.

jerpinoy
07-19-2016, 12:50 AM
Houston ..............................we have problem. Peace to all.

stillriding
07-19-2016, 06:19 AM
It was my understanding that the police department made the request.​The request was made by the President of the police union.