PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tie down for ST

Oldraceman
07-16-2016, 10:44 AM
I bought a used Drop-tail trailer. I know it as been discussed here before but I'm unable to find it and sorry for the repost. What would be the best way to tie the Spyder down on this trailer. Know it fits but have to lift the back of the trailer some to let the trike get over the hump. Was planning on two straps from the passenger foot pegs forward but how would you stop forward movement. Would through the wheels back work best?

MisterP
07-16-2016, 07:17 PM
You don't want to use the foot pegs to secure the trailer. They aren't designed for that stress. I use a strap through each front wheel taken forward and one or two through the rear wheel. In neutral with the parking brake on.

Bfromla
07-16-2016, 07:33 PM
You don't want to use the foot pegs to secure the trailer. They aren't designed for that stress. I use a strap through each front wheel taken forward and one or two through the rear wheel. In neutral with the parking brake on.

once you get it loaded
:thumbup: Instructions in the manual , just dont go thru the rear sprocket. 134045 Pull in opsite directions to keep from sliding & yes the park brake. Hope this helps

wuzfuzz
07-19-2016, 06:32 PM
I bought a used Drop-tail trailer. I know it as been discussed here before but I'm unable to find it and sorry for the repost. What would be the best way to tie the Spyder down on this trailer. Know it fits but have to lift the back of the trailer some to let the trike get over the hump. Was planning on two straps from the passenger foot pegs forward but how would you stop forward movement. Would through the wheels back work best?

They are a littler pricey but the Super Clamps are awesome for trailering a Spyder. I put a set in my enclosed trailer for a just completed 4,000 mile road trip with my recently acquired Spyder. They are awesome. The trike didn't move half an inch in two weeks on the road.

Mazo EMS2
07-19-2016, 06:51 PM
I put straps over my wheels, that way the only thing getting rubbed by straps is the tires. Simple, fast and cheap, and works awesome. Here's a picture of the rear tire, but I did the same thing on all 3.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-19-2016, 10:40 PM
I put straps over my wheels, that way the only thing getting rubbed by straps is the tires. Simple, fast and cheap, and works awesome. Here's a picture of the rear tire, but I did the same thing on all 3.
:agree::agree::agree: ..........I began recommending this method 2 years ago, and it's finally gaining acceptance :clap:.... There is NO easier, faster, more secure, less expensive and GUARANTEED not to scratch anything....... way of tying down any Spyder....I would shorten that Yellow strap for ease of putting it on tho..........Mike :thumbup:

Mazo EMS2
07-20-2016, 07:14 PM
:agree::agree::agree: ..........I began recommending this method 2 years ago, and it's finally gaining acceptance :clap:.... There is NO easier, faster, more secure, less expensive and GUARANTEED not to scratch anything....... way of tying down any Spyder....I would shorten that Yellow strap for ease of putting it on tho..........Mike :thumbup:

Yup, shortened it quite a bit already. On the front wheels, I use "Transom Savers" straps that normally get used on the transom of a boat, to tie the boat to the trailer. Works slicker than snot in a glass door knob.

Jdr00ejr
07-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Yup, shortened it quite a bit already. On the front wheels, I use "Transom Savers" that normally get used on the transom of a boat, to tie the boat to the trailer. Works slicker than snot in a glass door knob.

Quite fascinated how you are using Transom Savers to secure the front. Got pics?

Mazo EMS2
07-21-2016, 08:41 PM
Quite fascinated how you are using Transom Savers to secure the front. Got pics?

Here are a couple. I also had the second yellow strap, so I looped that one underneath the body, and over the lower A-Arms to the front frame of the trailer. Probably no need at all to do it, but I did anyway. It wasn't goin' anywhere with the 3 wheels strapped down tight.

Jdr00ejr
07-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Here are a couple. I also had the second yellow strap, so I looped that one underneath the body, and over the lower A-Arms to the front frame of the trailer. Probably no need at all to do it, but I did anyway. It wasn't goin' anywhere with the 3 wheels strapped down tight.

Must be a terminology issue. When you said Transom Saver I thought of this - which is what I use on my boat. So was very confused on how you were using it on the Spyder. ;-)

Mazo EMS2
07-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Must be a terminology issue. When you said Transom Saver I thought of this - which is what I use on my boat. So was very confused on how you were using it on the Spyder. ;-)

LOL, yeah, I guess you're right on the terminology. Thanks for the catch, I edited my post....The brand of straps was "Transom Saver" so I see why you'd be a bit miffed....Hmmm, I don't think the actual transom saver would work too well...LOL...So, of course the straps I use are the ones that hook to the transom loops and go to the trailer. I had to hunt a bit for long enough ones to go around the tires. Most are kinda short. I got mine at Farm n Fleet.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-22-2016, 05:52 PM
LOL, yeah, I guess you're right on the terminology. Thanks for the catch, I edited my post....The brand of straps was "Transom Saver" so I see why you'd be a bit miffed....Hmmm, I don't think the actual transom saver would work too well...LOL...So, of course the straps I use are the ones that hook to the transom loops and go to the trailer. I had to hunt a bit for long enough ones to go around the tires. Most are kinda short. I got mine at Farm n Fleet.
Another good source of high strength rachet straps is Discount Ramps .... they sell them on E- Bay at much less than their own site ......Mike :thumbup:

Deanna777
07-22-2016, 06:49 PM
:agree::agree::agree: ..........I began recommending this method 2 years ago, and it's finally gaining acceptance :clap:.... There is NO easier, faster, more secure, less expensive and GUARANTEED not to scratch anything....... way of tying down any Spyder....I would shorten that Yellow strap for ease of putting it on tho..........Mike :thumbup::agree::agree: the above recommendation does work, it kept my 2012 RTS-SE5 spyder very secure on a the trailer. I did not have any scratch's on my Tupper ware, because of the way it was tied down. A shot out goes to Mike! :clap::clap: Thanks

Deanna

Deanna777
07-22-2016, 06:50 PM
I put straps over my wheels, that way the only thing getting rubbed by straps is the tires. Simple, fast and cheap, and works awesome. Here's a picture of the rear tire, but I did the same thing on all 3.:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree: Deanna

TheCajun1957
08-18-2016, 03:30 PM
They are a littler pricey but the Super Clamps are awesome for trailering a Spyder. I put a set in my enclosed trailer for a just completed 4,000 mile road trip with my recently acquired Spyder. They are awesome. The trike didn't move half an inch in two weeks on the road.

Do you have pics of the Super Clamps holding the spyder? Just called the factory, talked to Randel, the Superclamp Spyder has been discontinued, seems between the Canadian exchange rate and higher cost for materials he was loosing money on the item. He says he still has plenty of parts to take care of the life time warrant that they carry for owners who have them.