PDA

View Full Version : Another shifting/rpms question

lizmcg
07-13-2016, 11:11 AM
I've had my RTS SE5 for 2.5 months now, and I've gotten comfortable with the high rpms, etc. I manage to keep it above 5,000 at regular speeds, in either 3rd or 4th gear, depending on the speed, and I stay in 1st gear inside my gated community, where the speed limit is an annoying 25 mph. My question is how to handle long stretches at 45 mph, where it's either high 4000s in 3rd gear or high 5000s to 6000 or above in 2nd. There's a stretch of several miles on a road I ride a lot that is a construction zone with a 45 mph limit. I've been doing it in 3rd and just going at 49-50 mph (lawless, I know:shocked:), which keeps it around 5000, but it's hard to keep the speed down. In 2nd gear it just seems to be "straining." On some of the back roads, badly maintained, tilted, and twisty, with 45 or 50 mph limits I tend to keep it in 2nd for more control on the curves and in case I have to slow down, but again, it seems to be straining at the high end.

So, which is better, to go in 2nd and let the rpms climb, even above 6,000, for miles or in 3rd and be in the mid- to high 4000s? Does it even matter? I can get used to either one, but I want to do what's best for the Spyder.

Bob Denman
07-13-2016, 11:22 AM
As long as the rpms are at LEAST 3500 (I preferred 4000), the clutches are fully locked-up, and you're good to go! :thumbup:
I used to use 5000 rpm as my shifting point...

lizmcg
07-13-2016, 11:34 AM
As long as the rpms are at LEAST 3500 (I preferred 4000), the clutches are fully locked-up, and you're good to go! :thumbup:
I used to use 5000 rpm as my shifting point...

Thanks! In 2nd and 3rd, is it bad to have it at the high end, near or above 6,000, for any length of time? Once or twice, when I was paying attention to traffic instead of the rpms, I ran it to 7000 before I noticed, and it seemed perfectly happy. It doesn't seem to like being at the low end of the range and wants to go faster!:ohyea:

Bob Denman
07-13-2016, 11:37 AM
The 998 loves to rev! :D As long as it's got enough coolant and oil: you won't hurt it! :thumbup:

GMAN9
07-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Thanks lizmcg for the post. I often wonder what gear I should be in while cruising at 45mph....2nd seemed to high on the RPM's and 3rd seemed too low.

Bob Denman
07-13-2016, 11:49 AM
I used to shift into fourth gear at 48 mph... and fifth at 55 mph. :thumbup:

billybovine
07-13-2016, 12:04 PM
For the 998 engine. Cruising on flat road with no head wind.

5th gear 4,000 rpm minimum
4th gear 3,800 rpm minimum
3rd gear 3,600 rpm minimum
2nd gear 3,400 rpm minimum

Going up hill add some rpm to the minimum.
Going into a headwind add some rpm to the minimum.
In heavy traffic and you may need the throttle to avoid a situation. Stay a gear lower and keep rpm up.
You are near the minimum rpm for that gear and you want to rapidly accelerate. Downshift first.
These are minimums and no harm in revving higher if you feel the need.
Run the rpm up to 9,000 from time to time because you can and it is fun.

lizmcg
07-13-2016, 12:07 PM
I used to shift into fourth gear at 48 mph... and fifth at 55 mph. :thumbup:
I shift into 4th at about 58, and I haven't used 5th yet (no freeway riding). I've been trying to keep her above 5000 rpm, so I don't shift if it will fall far below that. Downshifting, I have to go lower or it won't shift. In 4th, she wants to go over 65, but I've been trying to keep her under that to avoid a ticket.:yikes:

GMAN9: Glad it isn't just me!:thumbup:

Dan McNally
07-13-2016, 12:25 PM
I shift at 5,000 RPMs or higher and like to stay in the mid 4000's (4300 to 4700) when cruising. I've never had an issue doing that. If I need power at that range, dropping one gear puts me in the high power band for the 998.

ARtraveler
07-13-2016, 02:09 PM
I've had my RTS SE5 for 2.5 months now, and I've gotten comfortable with the high rpms, etc. I manage to keep it above 5,000 at regular speeds, in either 3rd or 4th gear, depending on the speed, and I stay in 1st gear inside my gated community, where the speed limit is an annoying 25 mph. My question is how to handle long stretches at 45 mph, where it's either high 4000s in 3rd gear or high 5000s to 6000 or above in 2nd. There's a stretch of several miles on a road I ride a lot that is a construction zone with a 45 mph limit. I've been doing it in 3rd and just going at 49-50 mph (lawless, I know:shocked:), which keeps it around 5000, but it's hard to keep the speed down. In 2nd gear it just seems to be "straining." On some of the back roads, badly maintained, tilted, and twisty, with 45 or 50 mph limits I tend to keep it in 2nd for more control on the curves and in case I have to slow down, but again, it seems to be straining at the high end.

So, which is better, to go in 2nd and let the rpms climb, even above 6,000, for miles or in 3rd and be in the mid- to high 4000s? Does it even matter? I can get used to either one, but I want to do what's best for the Spyder.

I prefer the "higher" rpm range and the "lower" gear. That way, your always ready to power up. Drove the Hana Highway in Maui, Hawaii on a rental RS. Speed of about 35 is all you can go due to the many turns and stops to let people over the one lane bridges. It was first gear for all 50 miles. My ears were not happy, the :spyder2: sure was. Shhhhhhhhhhhh--that tropical drink in Hana was really, really good.

Here we are in front of the Hana post office. Across the street from the restaurant.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79661&d=1384981429 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3179&attachmentid=79660)

lizmcg
07-13-2016, 02:41 PM
I was stationed in Hawaii twice, once as a 2nd/1st lieutenant and again as a captain/major (USMC). I absolutely loved it. Now, as an old fartess, I'd love to go back to live there:pray:, but I haven't figured it out yet. So there are Spyders there? It seems like Spyders or motorcycles would be great for the driving conditions I remember, except maybe the rain. Sigh.

ARtraveler
07-13-2016, 02:48 PM
I was stationed in Hawaii twice, once as a 2nd/1st lieutenant and again as a captain/major (USMC). I absolutely loved it. Now, as an old fartess, I'd love to go back to live there:pray:, but I haven't figured it out yet. So there are Spyders there? It seems like Spyders or motorcycles would be great for the driving conditions I remember, except maybe the rain. Sigh.

There are very few :ani29:'s on the Islands. I know of one on Kauai, and saw another on Maui. There are no dealers that sell them, so for the owners, it is a do the maintenance yourself type of thing. The rental agent we dealt with (Maui Scooters) discontinued rental of the Spyders. The one we rented was in great need of service, and it was noticeable. The other issue for me, after a couple weeks, all the roads have been covered and there is no "new" place to go. However, it sure is beautiful there. Have been there four times, but don't know if I will get back again. More places to go and things to see. :yes: