PDA

View Full Version : another tire issue

limited14
07-13-2016, 08:36 AM
I had a buddy come by the other day and he asked how my spyder was doing I told him fine, no problems. Then he asked me how my rear tire looked. I have about 6000 miles on 2014 Limited. Well to my surprise the tire is wearing in the middle, to the point I'm going to have to replace it. I check the air pressure all the time and keep it between 28-30 psi. I think this is bull#%^+. You pay over 30 grand for a bike and have to spend another $300.00+ on a new tire at 6000 miles. I've had Goldwing trikes in the past, the front tire wears quicker than the two rear tires but not at that low of mileage. I know there's been a lot others having the same problem, but it doesn't make it right. I feel either BRP or the tire manufacturer needs to fix this problem, even to the point of paying for a new tire. Sorry to be ranting but I think this just isn't right. I like my spyder but if I keep having to put tires on it all the time I'm thinking about getting rid of it.

trikermutha
07-13-2016, 08:53 AM
Yep my first tire was replaced at 5800 miles and was a softer compound as I suspect your was too.

They have changed back and you will get more miles from the rear.

Now look up tire threads and you will see what others have posted and are using for tires...:thumbup: You will see this topic has been brought up many- many times.

Pampurrs
07-13-2016, 08:56 AM
Your rear tire should be 28 PSI. I think the excessive wear in the center may be partly due to over inflating.

You also may have gotten part of that extra soft batch of tires that many have discussed here.

I had over 14,000 miles on my rear tire when I switched to a car tire. I kept it at a constant 28 PSI at all times. The Ride-On I use helps to extend the life of the tire also.

I think I may have gotten the harder compound tire, which would help to explain the difference in life between mine and yours.

As many have stated in other threads, Kenda is an inferior tire. Time to switch to better quality.

Pam

GearHd
07-13-2016, 09:06 AM
You actually did pretty good. We got 4400 out of ours but I knew the 14's had bad tires so it wasn't a shock.

Highwayman2013
07-13-2016, 09:11 AM
How can anyone be surprised by now that Kenda rear tires on spyders wear in the middle. Put a good quality car tire on the rear and ride on.

PistonBlown
07-13-2016, 09:20 AM
The Kenda on the back wear quickly but at the same time offer a poor level of grip. The Kenda's also always wear in the centre regardless of pressure. Check out some of the (many) threads on this site for suggestions on better and cheaper rear tires.

My personal favourites on my RS are Toyo Proxes T1R's, wear wise they are only a small improvement but performance/grip is great. However for an RT you're probably looking for endurance so others will be able to tell you what to go for to get that.

Ex-Rocket
07-13-2016, 09:24 AM
You did it now, you made a negative comment about the God BRP. The flaming will begin.

Ok Sam , we get your point. Since you have sold your Spyder and now own a Honda whatever model it is, its time to bash the Honda Forum and tell them how bad Honda bikes are. If you don't have something positive to say here, then I think its time to go. I'm just getting tired of all your negitive remarks. It really has no place or value in here.

Heliplt
07-13-2016, 09:26 AM
my stock tire 2011 Rt 18,675 miles

JayBros
07-13-2016, 10:04 AM
I have had two of the older, soft compound, rear tires on my Spyder and now have the harder, actually older compound that was dropped until after the 2814 mfg date. I've religiously kept 28 in the rear until the past two weeks when I dropped to 27. I immediately noticed a softer ride with just one pound less. I have replaced two tires when the center wear bars were flush as I don't want to risk hydroplaning and am, of course, very interested to see how much mileage I will get out of the current compound. I'm also prone to aggressive riding in the mountains because I bought the Spyder for fun. FISHDO! YMMV.

BajaRon
07-13-2016, 10:06 AM
I had a buddy come by the other day and he asked how my spyder was doing I told him fine, no problems. Then he asked me how my rear tire looked. I have about 6000 miles on 2014 Limited. Well to my surprise the tire is wearing in the middle, to the point I'm going to have to replace it. I check the air pressure all the time and keep it between 28-30 psi. I think this is bull#%^+. You pay over 30 grand for a bike and have to spend another $300.00+ on a new tire at 6000 miles. I've had Goldwing trikes in the past, the front tire wears quicker than the two rear tires but not at that low of mileage. I know there's been a lot others having the same problem, but it doesn't make it right. I feel either BRP or the tire manufacturer needs to fix this problem, even to the point of paying for a new tire. Sorry to be ranting but I think this just isn't right. I like my spyder but if I keep having to put tires on it all the time I'm thinking about getting rid of it.

Typical. There is no way to keep a 2 ply tread tire from wearing in the middle. It's a given. Weak tread bands not only allow the tire to bulge in the middle when inflated. Centrifugal force at speed also acts to overwhelm the weak tread area causing a balloon effect. To me, it's a no brainer to go to a well made, less expensive car tire.

A car tire will have a 4 ply tread area. This keeps the tread flat against the road. When riding on the Kenda at speed you're only getting maybe 3" - 4" of contact. The rest of your tire is spinning in the breeze. Not a comforting thought if you have to make an emergency stop.

As you can see, I got my monies worth out of this Toyo Proxes TR1 tire (Left). Notice how much tread I put on the pavement compared to the Kenda (Right). The Toyo maintains a flatter tread area so you get nearly 100% contact with the pavement. As you can see, not so with the Kenda. The Red area is how much contact you have with the pavement at lower speeds. The Green is all you have at freeway speeds.

I know there are Kenda fans. But I wonder if they understand the full story.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/BajaRon/Spyder/ToyoTire.jpg~original http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/BajaRon/Kenda_zps40w0oxs4.jpg~original

trikermutha
07-13-2016, 10:10 AM
my stock tire 2011 Rt 18,675 miles

So what is the new tire in the picture. (Maker)

trikermutha
07-13-2016, 10:12 AM
Typical. There is no way to keep a 2 ply tread tire from wearing in the middle. It's a given. Weak tread bands not only allow the tire to bulge in the middle when inflated. Centrifugal force at speed also acts to overwhelm the weak tread area causing a balloon effect. To me, it's a no brainer to go to a well made, less expensive car tire.

A car tire will have a 4 ply tread area. This keeps the tread flat against the road. When riding on the Kenda at speed you're only getting maybe 3" - 4" of contact. The rest of your tire is spinning in the breeze. Not a comforting thought if you have to make an emergency stop.

As you can see, I got my monies worth out of this Toyo Proxes TR1 tire (Left). Notice how much tread I put on the pavement compared to the Kenda (Right). The Toyo maintains a flatter tread area so you get nearly 100% contact with the pavement. As you can see, not so with the Kenda. The Red area is how much contact you have with the pavement at lower speeds. The Green is all you have at freeway speeds.

How many miles on the TR1?

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/BajaRon/Spyder/ToyoTire.jpg~original http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/BajaRon/Kenda_zps40w0oxs4.jpg~original

How many miles on the TR1? How do the handle the cooler weather?

Chupaca
07-13-2016, 10:16 AM
By now I would think everyone here know of the problem they had with the Kenda in early 2014. They have since gone back to the original compound and I for one (maybe the only one) have not had a problem with them front or back. I have had two rears and two sets of fronts. I am currently on my third rear, though I want to give the Aracnid a try and it is doing well. I am now convinced that it is where (geographically) you ryde that is determining much of the wear differences...and knowing where the wear limit blocks are....jmo mind you...as for center wear, you tube drag racing and watch what happens to the rear tires...:yikes: air pressure is only part of it.....

Bobleach45
07-13-2016, 10:30 AM
28 psi is overinflated in my opinion. I had it there and dropped to 26, especially in The FL heat coupled with the heat from the exhaust. Mine was changed at 9925 miles before I bought it due to a slice in the tire . Have put on 12,500 mi and by the looks and measurement with tire tread gauge I'm anticipating getting 19-20. Can't complain about the original fronts. At 22,500 miles now and expect I will change at 27-30 and I never go all the way to the wear bars. This doesn't mean I won't try something else. That is something I'll still have to ponder. I run the fronts at 17 psi.

pegasus1300
07-13-2016, 11:31 AM
And remember that the blocks you see in the center are tread support blocks not wear bars.Those are on the sides.

Bob Denman
07-13-2016, 11:36 AM

:D Actually: 6,000 miles out of your OEM was about what we've all come to see.
The new OEM tire is reportedly doing MUCH better, as do the aftermarket choices. :thumbup:

Dan McNally
07-13-2016, 12:13 PM

This probably pertains to your situation http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?74147-A-note-on-tire-compounds&highlight=tire+wear+compound

STELLING MAN
07-13-2016, 12:46 PM
On my 2013 RT-S I got 10,125 mi on the original tire, I went with the Kumho and It's working out great..

Gunkandpudge
07-13-2016, 12:55 PM
Got almost 8000 on my original tires and all three look very good

Fatcycledaddy
07-13-2016, 01:13 PM
I had over 9,000 on my factory tire, I had about 2/32" of tread left and think i could have gotten a few more thousand miles out of it. I was leaving on the trip to Utah towing the camper so I thought I had better change it, cheaper to do it at home than have to try to do it on the road.
$98.00 for the new tire, $8.00 to dismount and remount the new tire, 1/2 hour of my time to change it.

1991 Yamaha Venture Royale, $275.00 for the tire, and $25.00 to dismount remount and balance, and 1 hour of my time to change it.

Spyder rear tire 1/3 of the cost of my other cycle tires.

ARtraveler
07-13-2016, 01:41 PM
2014 RT-S here. As you have read, the OEM tires on the 2014 were of a new softer compound. Most people had to replace the tires at between four to six thousand miles. You did good.

The replacement tires have done as good or much better. I got eight thousand plus on my first tire, thirteen thousand on my second tire, and am now on the third tire. All have been OEM Kendas. My dealer will not install other tires.

Chupaca: twenty two thousand and still going on the original OEM front Kenda's. :yes:

Motorcycle tires have always been good to wear out quickly. I was lucky to get 4500 on the rear of my Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 cc. :thumbup:

PistonBlown
07-13-2016, 07:43 PM

Here the road's are very rough surface so tires wear quickly e.g. the Kenda's used to last around 8000km (5000 miles). The Toyo T1R's have lasted around 12000km (7500 miles) so a +50% improvement. I replace tires as soon as they are close to the wear marks so could probably get more out of them.

The T1R is supposed to be a Summer tire but grip was significantly better even on very cold/wet days. Mind you I always found the Kenda was terrible on cold roads.

Heliplt
07-13-2016, 08:37 PM

215/60R15 General Altimax RT43 Tire

Highwayman2013
07-13-2016, 09:05 PM

Looks like a General Altimax RT43

_..stiffler..
07-13-2016, 09:14 PM
Why 215/60/15 and not the OEM size of 225/50/15.

I know they are close to the same height. But a bit narrow. Just wondering reason.

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk

Spyder2014
07-13-2016, 09:23 PM
I just want to say that I have had 2 Spyder RT Limited's in the past 4 years. I had over 37,000 miles on the bike and traded in for a 2014 Ltd. I replaced the Kendra tires on the 2012 with car tires and they did OUTSTANDING. NO issue with the steering or anything. When I had very little mileage on the 14, I replace them with car tires and so far, I had zero issues.

Don't know if there is any issues with car tires vs. inferior Kendra tires, but the car tires have a 45,000 miles for the front and 40,000 for the rear tire, so, until BRP makes a better tire than what I have I will use the car tires.

Heliplt
07-14-2016, 07:48 AM

I know they are close to the same height. But a bit narrow. Just wondering reason.

there are tons of threads about tires. lots of people are using this tire and is highly recommended with great results, I.E. mileage, traction, noise Etc.

Bob Denman
07-14-2016, 07:51 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by _..stiffler.. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1156157#post1156157) "Why 215/60/15 and not the OEM size of 225/50/15.
I know they are close to the same height. But a bit narrow. Just wondering reason. "
The 215/60 is just a bit taller, and helps to correct the speedometer error (2mph at 55...), that bothers some folks.

_..stiffler..
07-14-2016, 09:27 AM
Awesome. Perfect thx.

I need a back tire soon. Just looming at options.

Culpjp
07-14-2016, 01:07 PM
By now I would think everyone here know of the problem they had with the Kenda in early 2014. They have since gone back to the original compound and I for one (maybe the only one) have not had a problem with them front or back. I have had two rears and two sets of fronts. I am currently on my third rear, though I want to give the Aracnid a try and it is doing well. I am now convinced that it is where (geographically) you ryde that is determining much of the wear differences...and knowing where the wear limit blocks are....jmo mind you...as for center wear, you tube drag racing and watch what happens to the rear tires...:yikes: air pressure is only part of it.....
Lamonster has not had any good luck with the Arachnid tires, others have said they don't last any longer than the Kenda's.

Chupaca
07-14-2016, 01:18 PM
I know, Ann (Squared Away ) also has not had great outcome. Still counting on the variables to make the difference. I had no problem with the Kenda may be the same with the Arachnid.

beast68
07-14-2016, 02:22 PM
My 1st tire only lasted 4k miles BRP offered to pay for 1/2 the replacement tire. Dealer put on a Khumo for me. Khumo has slightly more road noise but does not feel as loose in the twisties.

BajaRon
07-14-2016, 02:45 PM

The Toyo TR1 gave me about 14k. The original Kenda went 11k but it had belt showing in some places so not a good comparison. I did a number of burnouts on the Toyo. I did not treat the Kenda in such harsh fashion. Plus I learned to ride the Spyder on the Kenda. I rode much harder on the Toyo.

What I am trying to say is that tire wear is relative. Some will say 'I got 15k on my Kenda so it must be as good as your Toyo'. But high mileage on a Kenda (IMHO) is more a function of where and how you ride than representative of tire quality.

My guess is (in an Apples to Apples comparison) that someone who was able to get that many miles from a Kenda would probably get 20k plus from a quality car tire if they rode it the same.

The Toyo got a bit greasy near the end of its life in cold weather. Otherwise, it was a great tire, wet, dry or cold. Problem is, they have been discontinued for quite some time. But I believe that a good quality, appropriate car tire would give you similar results.

The real reason is that you can't get this tire in the OEM size. This is as close as you can get to 225/50/15.

PistonBlown
07-14-2016, 05:40 PM
...they have been discontinued for quite some time.

Ah that explains why I couldn't get one this time around, they are still on their web site so assumed they were still available. I had to go with a Toyo Proxe 4 instead which is still a lot better than a Kenda but not quite as good as the T1R for performance. Not had it long enough to see what the wear is like.

RudyB
07-14-2016, 11:08 PM
I just want to say that I have had 2 Spyder RT Limited's in the past 4 years. I had over 37,000 miles on the bike and traded in for a 2014 Ltd. I replaced the Kendra tires on the 2012 with car tires and they did OUTSTANDING. NO issue with the steering or anything. When I had very little mileage on the 14, I replace them with car tires and so far, I had zero issues.

Don't know if there is any issues with car tires vs. inferior Kendra tires, but the car tires have a 45,000 miles for the front and 40,000 for the rear tire, so, until BRP makes a better tire than what I have I will use the car tires.

What type of car tires are you using

RudyB
07-14-2016, 11:15 PM
What make of tire would you recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BajaRon
07-14-2016, 11:46 PM
Ah that explains why I couldn't get one this time around, they are still on their web site so assumed they were still available. I had to go with a Toyo Proxe 4 instead which is still a lot better than a Kenda but not quite as good as the T1R for performance. Not had it long enough to see what the wear is like.

I have heard that they are still available in other countries. Maybe that is why they are still listed.

Mkosma
07-18-2016, 09:20 PM
I ran my at 24 psi and got 12,500 before I had to replace it. I recently switched to an Altimax 215/60 R43. It is a much better tire

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sduskin
07-18-2016, 10:13 PM

Absolutely the best way to describe the condition. I sold tires for a couple years back right after highschool. My daughter currently is a tirebuilder for a MAJOR manufacturer. And you described the condition correctly. I got about 11k miles on my rear tire. Now I have 2k on my car tire replacement and no signs of wear yet.

Lurker
07-19-2016, 07:36 AM
28 psi is overinflated in my opinion. I had it there and dropped to 26, especially in The FL heat coupled with the heat from the exhaust. Mine was changed at 9925 miles before I bought it due to a slice in the tire . Have put on 12,500 mi and by the looks and measurement with tire tread gauge I'm anticipating getting 19-20. Can't complain about the original fronts. At 22,500 miles now and expect I will change at 27-30 and I never go all the way to the wear bars. This doesn't mean I won't try something else. That is something I'll still have to ponder. I run the fronts at 17 psi.

Smart man, yes from what I have seen many are running 25+ in the front and up to 36 on the rear - 16 or 17 is proper for the front and 24 on the rear. Wider tires normally take less pressure due to increased surface area.
Also all the suggestions regarding dumping Kenda and going with standard automotive makes sense. I ran Kenda tires on other vehicles in the past and never had much luck. Continental seems like a good brand and in most cases don't even require balancing as they tend to be nice and round and true.

jaherbst
07-19-2016, 08:43 AM
Never ceases to amaze me. Everybody has a tire story and an opinion and there is no agreement what so

ever.

Kind a like trying to "Pin the Tale on the Donkey" in a dark room!

Rumor has it that a new Website called TIRELOVERS is in the works. Lamont is fine tuning it as I type. :joke:

Jack

AeroPilot
07-19-2016, 09:46 AM
Never ceases to amaze me. Everybody has a tire story and an opinion and there is no agreement what so

ever.

Kind a like trying to "Pin the Tale on the Donkey" in a dark room!

Rumor has it that a new Website called TIRELOVERS is in the works. Lamont is fine tuning it as I type. :joke:

Jack

I have enjoyed traveling on pneumatic tires all my life from Generals to Michelins to Hankooks to and probably Firestones (my Dad used to patronize the local Firestone shop back in the days of retreads) before the Ford Explorer OEM firestorm erupted. I dont have anything too bad to say about any of them if they are available and provide value that I judge works for me. I kinda do prefer a car tire to the lighter Kenda carcass on these Spyders tho' - DISCLAIMER The Kenda Cruz's I ran on the old Honda Shadow worked fine for me!!;);)

limited14
07-19-2016, 11:35 AM
I purchased a Kuhmo tire. Was told by dealer im taking it to, that they would install the new tire but motorcyle rims are not made for car tires! Really?

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-19-2016, 12:52 PM
I purchased a Kuhmo tire. Was told by dealer im taking it to, that they would install the new tire but motorcyle rims are not made for car tires! Really?
. He's absolutely correct ( amazing :roflblack: )......But He didn't bother to tell you ....the Spyder has " CAR " style rims ........this is a proven FACT not my opinion..............Motorcycle tire " BEADS " are very different than car type " beads ".......they aren't interchangeable .............Car tires a perfectly safe on the Spyder rims ....I have been using them since 08 on three different Spyders...............Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-19-2016, 01:05 PM
:agree: When Robmorg was having his tire replaced at Netzley's; they took the time to compare the Spyder rim, to an automotive rim.
The area where the bead seats on them, was identical. :thumbup:

limited14
07-28-2016, 08:18 AM
Got my Kuhmo tire on. How much air do I put in this tire. Dealer said they put in 28psi. I checked it yesterday and it only had 25 psi. I when we ride two up, we have close to 400# riding. So would 27 psi be too much?

AeroPilot
07-28-2016, 09:26 AM
Got my Kuhmo tire on. How much air do I put in this tire. Dealer said they put in 28psi. I checked it yesterday and it only had 25 psi. I when we ride two up, we have close to 400# riding. So would 27 psi be too much?

Its fun to monitor the pressure with the FOBO monitors. That big rear tire seems to flex and heat up more according to the FOBO tire monitors, it starts at 27 for me at 75 degrees and can get to 31 psi at 105 degrees on a hot afternoon. The fronts for me start at 20 psi and only climb about 1.5 psi more and only get to around 90-95 degrees. Less flexing I guess.

Quite a few run lower pressures on the Kumho and other car tires, but I just like to stick around 26-27 psi cold.. Your call, Happy Riding!!

Deanna777
07-28-2016, 06:52 PM
So what is the new tire in the picture. (Maker)That is the General Altimax Tire.

I am running the General on my 2014RTS-SE6. Deanna