PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade questions

New spyder
07-13-2016, 06:54 AM
I just got my spider yesterday having never rode any kind of bike for over 20 years I was a bit nervous driving it home .so I have several questions to ask . 1 I and having a hard time making turns curves I seem to be doing ok with but hard turns as in a full left or right it feels like I'm going over ? My 2nd question is concerning upgrades such as fog lights and rear air shocks and analog gauges .are they fairly easy to install and is the wiring already there and it's a plug and play thing or is there more to it then that? Thanks

JayBros
07-13-2016, 07:12 AM
Relax!!! If you have not read the Do's and Do Nots sticky in this forum do so immediately. Watch the video that came with your Spyder. Read the operator's guide, particularly the practice training section. Then put 1,000 or so miles on your Spyder before you consider popping for farkles. Oh BTW, in none of the references will you find our how to wipe off the SEG -- there is no cure for that.

Bob Denman
07-13-2016, 07:15 AM
:agree: Figuring out the turning, is the toughest part of this game.
But if I can do it: anybody can! :D

Read the thread that was mentioned in the previous post. There's about a gazillion good bits of advice in it!

:welcome:

Ron2andia
07-13-2016, 08:49 AM
:congrats::welcome: They are pretty easy to add 2... Lots of Info on this site!

Chupaca
07-13-2016, 10:32 AM
To the spyder world and this most informative site. great choice of rydes..:2thumbs: don't worry it takes 300 to 500 miles to get the hang of things but the do's and don'ts it the best place to start. Don't worrry about the acc (farkles) just yet enjoy the learning experience then all the help you need is right here...:thumbup:

Bobleach45
07-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Agree with what JayBros said. Took me 4-500 miles coming off a full dress HD. After that long not riding it'll take you longer to get comfortable. And by all means read this forum and look at some past posts. Lots of help on here and if you've got a question or problem a lot of knowledgeable people to give you thoughts.

Mr. White
07-13-2016, 12:17 PM
Tire pressure is important. We have all have different tire pressures to fit our personal requirements. When you get time, air up the fronts to 25-26 and the rear to 30-32, ride a few miles and reduce the pressure 2 pounds and see how it goes until you find your sweet spot. Mine is 25/30 as I like a firm ride and do a lot of hill country twisties....not for everyone so find where you are most comfortable. Ride 500 or so as mentioned to get used to you new scoot. Good luck.

:spyder2:

ARtraveler
07-13-2016, 02:03 PM
:welcome:and :congrats: on your new :spyder2:

Read the do's and don'ts as mentioned above. They will answer your questions plus.

Overcontrol is one of the things that makes the :ani29: feel squirrely at first. Use as little input as possible. Pretend there are eggs between your hands and the grips. Don't break the eggs. It takes about 500 miles to be really comfortable. It took me about 1500--but I guess I am a slow learner.

Put about 1000 miles on your machine before you start spending money on mods. Get to know it and see what you really like and dislike. Then--its time to make whatever mods (we call them farkles) you desire. Its pricey, but the fun quotient is high. :yes:

bigbadbrucie
07-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Yep, as they all say.......miles is what you need. I've had mine now for 10 months (first tryke but more than 45 years of 2 wheels), and I'm still learning some tricks. It took me about 1,000 kms before I would venture onto the freeway, and even then I was very hesitant. Give it time, and you will come to love riding your new scoot, and when you do feel comfortable, you'll wonder what your problem was.

Bruce

New spyder
07-13-2016, 06:51 PM
Thank y'all for the info reading the do's and don't was extremely helpful rode about 50 miles today and relaxed it helped immensely

BitSlayer
07-16-2016, 08:06 AM
:agree: with what all has stated above. You might feel a little funny, but find a large parking lot, like a church or business. Play around in the parking lot making large sweeping turns in the beginning and then tighter and tighter turns. Use the makings on the pavement to practice backing up and parking. That is a great way to get more comfortable with your ryde. It is a fun machine and as other have stated, relax and let the bike do the work. Small adjustments to the steering and push gently to turn.

:congrats: and :welcome: