PDA

View Full Version : Are floorboards worth the extra $$?

Stumpy6Guns
07-13-2016, 01:24 AM
The '16 RTL that I rode over the weekend had really nice floorboards, with flexible rubber and all. My '12 RTL has pegs. I like them both, but for different reasons.

The pegs give me instant feedback about foot placement and pressure, while the floorboards let me stretch my legs a bit and were more comfortable. Changing them is not a small investment, so I want to be certain of my decision. This is not a high priority for me; just wondering what other ryders like.

ARtraveler
07-13-2016, 02:10 AM
Seal floorboards offers two nice options and about one half the price of the BRP.

I had the deluxe ones on my 2010 and have the pups on the 2011. Give them a call. They install easily. If I can do it in less than a half hour, anyone can.

I will see if I can come up with some pictures.

Can't find pictures of the deluxe--below are the pups.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48384&d=1340611445 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1990&attachmentid=48111)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48385&d=1340611449 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1990&attachmentid=48384)

Bob Denman
07-13-2016, 07:12 AM
I also like having a bit of a "dance floor" underneath my toes! You can move around a bit during a ride, and keep your legs a bit more comfy! :thumbup:
I put ISCI boards on my 2010, and I was impressed with their quality and adjustability.
But Seals were a very close second choice! :D

Pirate looks at --
07-13-2016, 07:25 AM
You will love them!:yes::yes:

Bob Denman
07-13-2016, 07:38 AM
I suppose that the question you need to ask yourself is, "What is my comfort worth; to ME?"

blacklightning
07-13-2016, 07:47 AM
I also like floorboards better than just the peg. I actually went with the Web Boards. To me they looked as if they belonged on a spyder. Just like the seal boards, they come in a mini and a full length version. I went with the mini boards.133808133809133810

DR Buck
07-13-2016, 04:54 PM
Worth every dollar you spend on them. I love my floorboards. :yes:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=114393&d=1440264187

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=114390&d=1440264187

Bob Denman
07-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Tell me a little bit about that forward-pivoting highway peg, that the passenger gets.
I'd like to get a pair of them for the Missus! :thumbup:
(Who ever said, that I wasn't an incurable Romantic? :D)

DR Buck
07-13-2016, 05:08 PM
Tell me a little bit about that forward-pivoting highway peg, that the passenger gets.
I'd like to get a pair of them for the Missus! :thumbup:
(Who ever said, that I wasn't an incurable Romantic? :D)

Bob,

I'm not sure who makes them. I ordered them with the boards from Diamond R. I don't know if they are still doing the boards, but if you give Allen a call, he may be able to pass on the info about the flip-up passenger highway pegs. And, yes, the Missus loves them. She's short and they help a lot.

Bob Denman
07-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Thanks! :thumbup:
Diamond-R; I think that I might have their number tucked away nearby... :D

Lew L
07-13-2016, 07:35 PM
RT-S came with floor boards and they are GREAT. Step a bit harder on the o/s board when turning and touch the inside knee to the "tank"--- a little bend of the inside elbow and your cutting corners faster than any cruser and pushing "nanny " to the limit.

Kaos

Babyblue
07-15-2016, 07:00 PM
Seal floorboards offers two nice options and about one half the price of the BRP.

I had the deluxe ones on my 2010 and have the pups on the 2011. Give them a call. They install easily. If I can do it in less than a half hour, anyone can.

I will see if I can come up with some pictures.

Can't find pictures of the deluxe--below are the pups.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48384&d=1340611445 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1990&attachmentid=48111)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48385&d=1340611449 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1990&attachmentid=48384)

I notice you put the "pups" on your 2011. Is there a reason? These are the ones I am looking at. I have short legs, but, now my knees are starting to bother me a bit.

Lori

cobraswinger
07-15-2016, 07:13 PM
I put a pair of inspector gadget floorboards on my 2011 SM5 along with his heel toe shifter. You must install the heel toe shifter if you install the floorboards on the SM5 because you cant get your foot under the shifter with the floorboards installed. The prices are very reasonable and the quality is great. I would suggest it for the extra room that you get and the ability to move your feet around to get comfy

Bob Denman
07-16-2016, 06:53 AM
If you want any of Gadget's gadgets... :D

http://www.spyderrt.info/

(I've been waiting to see that for too long! :roflblack:)

BitSlayer
07-16-2016, 08:45 AM
I had the Seal Delux floorboards on my 2011 Limited. I loved them as they allow you to move around and stretch you legs a bit. I am about 6'-3" and with the stock seat, the pegs would kill my legs after being on the bike for awhile. The floorboards did help make the ryde more enjoyable. To me, they were worth every penny.

SteveandBelinda
07-16-2016, 10:45 AM
I agree with BitSlayer. I actually bought his floorboards off of his 2011, for my 2010 RT, and love them. Doing some highway today, so am sure they will be great on highway as much as in town. Probably more so.
Thanks again Larry. :bowdown:

I had the Seal Delux floorboards on my 2011 Limited. I loved them as they allow you to move around and stretch you legs a bit. I am about 6'-3" and with the stock seat, the pegs would kill my legs after being on the bike for awhile. The floorboards did help make the ryde more enjoyable. To me, they were worth every penny.

BitSlayer
07-16-2016, 10:47 AM
I agree with BitSlayer. I actually bought his floorboards off of his 2011, for my 2010 RT, and love them. Doing some highway today, so am sure they will be great on highway as much as in town. Probably more so.
Thanks again Larry. :bowdown:

Steve,

i am so glad you are enjoying them. Hope your highway miles are as good as your intown miles.

spyderCodes
07-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Goggles on.
swimming upstream.

I like pegs better.
For all the reasons given by the OP and also by bracing myself aaginst the pegs I think I can take corners much better.
Floorboards are nice for passengers, but as a ryder gimme pegs.

billy514
07-16-2016, 01:29 PM
I Have A set of Spyder Boards for sale that are like new. I will sell them for $350.00 including shipping . They retail for $500.00 . They look really good and give you numerous positions for your feet . All hardware included .
The '16 RTL that I rode over the weekend had really nice floorboards, with flexible rubber and all. My '12 RTL has pegs. I like them both, but for different reasons.

The pegs give me instant feedback about foot placement and pressure, while the floorboards let me stretch my legs a bit and were more comfortable. Changing them is not a small investment, so I want to be certain of my decision. This is not a high priority for me; just wondering what other ryders like.

sealfloorboards
07-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Thanks all you Seal Floorboards supporters. As the first to design a Floorboard for my own RS SE5 in 2009, I have always held to the belief that riding should be a joy, not an endurance contest, even on those long 500 mile days.. Quality, comfort and original (not copied) design has been my motto since I started out as a full time sculptor,40 yrs. ago.
Ride in comfort,

Bob Denman
07-17-2016, 05:50 PM
Goggles on.
swimming upstream.

I like pegs better.
For all the reasons given by the OP and also by bracing myself aaginst the pegs I think I can take corners much better.
Floorboards are nice for passengers, but as a ryder gimme pegs.

"Each to their own notion.", said the old woman as she kissed the cow. :thumbup:
If everybody liked the same stuff; I'd get tired of chasing all of you away from my Missus! :D

Glorie
07-17-2016, 06:25 PM
I Luv the spyder web boards. Made in concord nh. I got them Friday and we rode a lot this weekend and. I luv them. Brake pedal a lttle too high as they put a spacer in so I might get a shorter spacer. Took less than 30 minutes and they put them on for me but it was so easy I could have done it. Cheaper than other brands I've seen and I like the looks of them better. Check out his website.

Netminder
07-17-2016, 08:11 PM
I am also on the sealboards side, although I am sure they all have their advantages. I just like the length of the seals, which allow for a full range of leg placement.

POD KonB GA
07-17-2016, 10:40 PM
I had ISCI on my 2010 RTS when I bought it. Took those off and put on the Seals. Great purchase in my opinion. Lots of room to move my feet around. Great customer service as well. The way the deluxe version is set up, it's like having highway pegs too. I can still run over two wheelers in the curves with my Seals on. Press on the outside and chin over wrist. Great investment.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

kmdowney167
07-18-2016, 02:40 AM
Where can I check out the Sealboards? Am looking at highway pegs for my wife's STS and this looks like maybe a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sealfloorboards
07-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Where can I check out the Sealboards? Am looking at highway pegs for my wife's STS and this looks like maybe a better option.

I am sorry to say, that there has just not been enough interest in the ST to justify the expense and R&D necessary to offer them. It's a very nice ride but I thinks it's being phased out by the F3 and RS.

SPYD3R
07-18-2016, 11:50 AM
I DIY'd FLOOR BORDZ FOR BOTH MY 'RS' & 'F-3' and i'm here to tell you that FLOOR BORDZ are an absolute MUST....
they give you the ability to move around, which takes stress of the hips, knees, ankles & feet.... i do multi-thousand mile rides, and without FLOOR BORDZ it would be hell to pay on my joints... remember, these joints are 68 yrs old and need a lot of TLC....
don't second doubt yourself - just do it.... go buy the ones you like best, they all work well....
SPYD3R

bbodah
07-18-2016, 12:42 PM
I Luv the spyder web boards. Made in concord nh. I got them Friday and we rode a lot this weekend and. I luv them. Brake pedal a lttle too high as they put a spacer in so I might get a shorter spacer. Took less than 30 minutes and they put them on for me but it was so easy I could have done it. Cheaper than other brands I've seen and I like the looks of them better. Check out his website.

Hello Glorie, Thank you for the nice comments. I would be happy to lower that brake pedal, or explain to you how easy it is to lower it if you would like Thanks again, Bill

sealfloorboards
07-20-2016, 10:42 AM

Please go to my website: seal floorboards.com or you can always call me with questions at: 503-502-7222. We all want to......
Ride in comfort

Copperman
07-20-2016, 11:21 AM

I think you should just buy the '16 RTL. Problem solved.

sealfloorboards
07-22-2016, 11:05 AM

Sorry to say but the ST is the one Spyder I don't make floorboards for. I only get 2 or 3 inquiries a year for them. Now I understand the ST is being "retired". It's a very nice Spyder, but the demand has just never been there for floorboards.