PDA

View Full Version : Think I'm going to run to LA toward the end of June

Lamonster
03-20-2009, 09:17 AM
As most of you know by now BRP is hosting a big event in LA for the opening of the new Transformer (http://www.transformersmovie.com/) movie. I plan on riding my Spyder out there for the event and spending some time in San Diego to see my Mom and Sister. Looks like BajaRon is going to make the run with me and if you're planning on going maybe we could hookup. Chances are we'll be doing a speed run down 40 to get there. Hope to meet some West Coast SpyderLovers there. :spyder2::spyder::doorag:

Jimmy Neutron
03-20-2009, 09:20 AM
wow you are like one of my old girlfriends. You sure get around.....

Lamonster
03-20-2009, 09:22 AM

Problem is all these guys are about to pass me milage wise and I have a rep to keep up. :D

crazycanuck
03-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Damn, I guess you won't be around for the west coast spyder rally end of July in San Diego, that will be a month in California:clap:

Lamonster
03-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Damn, I guess you won't be around for the west coast spyder rally end of July in San Diego, that will be a month in California:clap:
I would love to and I would love to make it out to Sturgis again but I have to pic my events and BRP promised me this will be worth the trip so I got to see what it's all about. :doorag:

crazycanuck
03-20-2009, 09:55 AM
I would love to and I would love to make it out to Sturgis again but I have to pic my events and BRP promised me this will be worth the trip so I got to see what it's all about. :doorag:

man I really wanted to go to it as well but my cousin is getting married on the 27th:banghead: and I am the best man

If Sturgis is 100% for you, let me know and I will make it out there and try to recruit a couple if other riders from west coast.

LRCulpepper
03-20-2009, 10:04 AM
guess i missed the thread giving hte details of the LA event. can some one give me the dates times and location?:2excited:

kalavera
03-20-2009, 10:11 AM
do we know what role the Spyder has in the new movie?

Autobot? Decepticon?

I looked on the internet and couldnt find anything.

docdoru
03-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Problem is all these guys are about to pass me milage wise and I have a rep to keep up. :D

I'm planning a Coast to Coast (IronButt) from Jacksonville to San Diego on I-10. See you all in LA in June! :doorag:

crazycanuck
03-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Autobot? Decepticon?

BRP gave them 6 spyders from what I recall and they did so many modifications to them that it will be fun to see exactly what they did to them.

Lamonster
03-20-2009, 10:23 AM
guess i missed the thread giving hte details of the LA event. can some one give me the dates times and location?:2excited:

There are no details yet but they should be on the website soon.

Autobot? Decepticon?

I have a picture somewhere of the lead guy sitting on a Spyder. They changed the front center console quite a bit but the rest is mostly stock. I'll see if I can find that pic.

I'm planning a Coast to Coast (IronButt) from Jacksonville to San Diego on I-10. See you all in LA in June! :doorag:

Have you been on 10? That road is a drag. It's just under 1000 miles on 10 to get across Texas. :shocked:

kalavera
03-20-2009, 10:50 AM
....Have you been on 10? That road is a drag. It's just under 1000 miles on 10 to get across Texas. :shocked:

I've done it in a Toyota Camry. It is a drag. I don't think I would want to do it on my spyder. Gas stations were few and far between. I am sure there are better routes out there.

Roaddog2
03-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Lucky :cus: :2thumbs::2thumbs:

dryheat
03-20-2009, 11:48 AM
I've done it in a Toyota Camry. It is a drag. I don't think I would want to do it on my spyder. Gas stations were few and far between. I am sure there are better routes out there.

I did it 30 years ago on an R60/5 (actually, from Pensacola to Tucson) and it wasn't fun. Well, a few parts were, but after Houston, in west Texas and New Mexico, there isn't a whole lot of anything (OK, in deference to a few friends in El Paso there are a couple good Mexican restaurants there). Biggest concern is frequency of gas stations. On a recent ride to see those friends in El Paso, I nearly found myself on the side of I-10 when the place I planned to stop had closed.
Might be worth looking at a reserve tank. Also, you do realize that the temps crossing New Mexico, Arizona and SoCal will be in the 100-115 range at that time? There are a few other roads, but they are pretty far out of the way and services are nonexistant.

kalavera
03-20-2009, 12:10 PM
I did it 30 years ago on an R60/5 (actually, from Pensacola to Tucson) and it wasn't fun. Well, a few parts were, but after Houston, in west Texas and New Mexico, there isn't a whole lot of anything (OK, in deference to a few friends in El Paso there are a couple good Mexican restaurants there). Biggest concern is frequency of gas stations. On a recent ride to see those friends in El Paso, I nearly found myself on the side of I-10 when the place I planned to stop had closed.
Might be worth looking at a reserve tank. Also, you do realize that the temps crossing New Mexico, Arizona and SoCal will be in the 100-115 range at that time? There are a few other roads, but they are pretty far out of the way and services are nonexistant.

Pensacola was my starting point too.

Yeah there is also a BIG dead spot for cell phones too. I can see myself trying to ride my spyder down I-10 to California and end up like the guys in Wild Hogs... pushing their bikes. No phone signal and no gas. LOL

SpyderGirl
03-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I sure didn't think I'd see you twice this year Lamont. Might be more than I can take. :cheers:

See you in June AND September.

crazycanuck
03-20-2009, 01:03 PM
I sure didn't think I'd see you twice this year Lamont. Might be more than I can take. :cheers:

See you in June AND September.

isn't Sturgis same time as Smokies:hun:

Roger
03-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Lamont i hope you get to visit ******** i think he has some pretty cool stuff in his house fifties room [ you remember the 50's don't you] and the scifi room. I'am sure you can explain what a phonebooth is to the younger ryders. :joke:

aubierules
03-20-2009, 02:47 PM
:yikes: :D

aubierules
03-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Have you been on 10? That road is a drag. It's just under 1000 miles on 10 to get across Texas. :shocked:

hey!!:mad: i live close to 10...take it to work every day.....where r ya gonna pick it up? if u come through or close to mobile al, let me know.......maybe we can meet up for a sec:thumbup:

dltang
03-20-2009, 06:02 PM
As most of you know by now BRP is hosting a big event in LA for the opening of the new Transformer (http://www.transformersmovie.com/) movie. I plan on riding my Spyder out there for the event and spending some time in San Diego to see my Mom and Sister. Looks like BajaRon is going to make the run with me and if you're planning on going maybe we could hookup. Chances are we'll be doing a speed run down 40 to get there. Hope to meet some West Coast SpyderLovers there. :spyder2::spyder::doorag:

Lamont, I have no idea if we could afford to join you or if we could get the time off but I know we have been looking for an excuse to spyder out west. How many days do you plan on taking and let us know when you have some dates. I will talk to bjt and see if this is something we could even consider.

Lamonster
03-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Lamont, I have no idea if we could afford to join you or if we could get the time off but I know we have been looking for an excuse to spyder out west. How many days do you plan on taking and let us know when you have some dates. I will talk to bjt and see if this is something we could even consider.

I'm thinking 3 days out. That would be really cool if you could pull it off. :thumbup:

docdoru
03-20-2009, 06:39 PM
hey!!:mad: i live close to 10...take it to work every day.....where r ya gonna pick it up? if u come through or close to mobile al, let me know.......maybe we can meet up for a sec:thumbup:

Mobile AL it is...http://i10.mobi/pc/mileages.php
I would like to do the rYde in 48h+2 (2,337 miles) with one auxiliary tank. Starting on the beach in Jacksonville end on the beach in San Diego. :read:

jeuchler
03-20-2009, 07:19 PM
There are no details yet but they should be on the website soon.

I have a picture somewhere of the lead guy sitting on a Spyder. They changed the front center console quite a bit but the rest is mostly stock. I'll see if I can find that pic.

Um...I think you might be thinking of the other movie that features a Spyder (with a bit of a makeover): Dragonball.

From our posts last summer (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5816&highlight=transformers)(Transformers)...

...And from this past winter (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8128&highlight=dragonball) (Dragonball)...

Lamonster
03-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Um...I think you might be thinking of the other movie that features a Spyder (with a bit of a makeover): Dragonball.

From our posts last summer (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5816&highlight=transformers)(Transformers)...

...And from this past winter (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8128&highlight=dragonball) (Dragonball)...

:agree:
http://dbthemovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/gokubikeeating.jpg

barkingspyder
03-20-2009, 10:22 PM
I wanna meet up with y'all! Where can I find info on this event?

AMTJIM
03-20-2009, 11:38 PM
I hear a female type transformer will be comprised of three spyders.
I live just west of Tucson right off I-10...make sure you honk on your way through...I'm sure I'll know it's you!

aka1004
03-21-2009, 12:33 AM
hopely, we will have a group here to greet you lamont by than:cheers:

spyder addicts' first ryde on next sunday the 29th in Marina Del Rey!!!!!!!

bjt
03-21-2009, 08:11 AM

I'm thinking 3 days out. That would be really cool if you could pull it off. :thumbup:

I would definitely consider this. Now that my job is apparently safe (at least for another month) some of these road trips may be able to be scheduled. I was hoping for Gatlinburg again this year but this could replace it if we could only do one major trip. Being its a BRP event, I'm sure they will be doing their part to make it worthwhile. :thumbup:

docdoru
03-23-2009, 05:15 PM

I have to choose for the auxiliary tank:

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=365&products_id=1028

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=360_361&products_id=1015

5280 spyderman
03-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Give me4 a few weeks notice and Ill meet up with you and the rest of the riders in Albuquerque.
Bill from Denver

NancysToy
03-23-2009, 07:28 PM
I have to choose for the auxiliary tank:

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=365&products_id=1028

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=360_361&products_id=1015
Ouch, tough call. Can't say as I like the idea of a Moon tank hanging around. The Spyder doesn't carry off the blown gasser look too well, and there's no radiator shell to mount it in front of. :joke: The idea of a collapsible bag for fuel would give me nightmares, though, and how the heck would you mount it effectively? This is going to be a hard decision...I don't envy you a bit. I can't even form a good opinion to express. :D
-Scotty

TJ_Spyder
03-23-2009, 09:27 PM
I would love to make this trip but don't have the time or energy to drive it. I'm contemplating to either ship the Spyder at least one way (maybe round trip) or seeing about renting one closer to LA and flying out.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

docdoru
03-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Ouch, tough call. Can't say as I like the idea of a Moon tank hanging around. The Spyder doesn't carry off the blown gasser look too well, and there's no radiator shell to mount it in front of. :joke: The idea of a collapsible bag for fuel would give me nightmares, though, and how the heck would you mount it effectively? This is going to be a hard decision...I don't envy you a bit. I can't even form a good opinion to express. :D
-Scotty

I ordered 2 grey Collapsible Fuel Bladder 15.75" x 17.75" 3.1 gal or 12 liters. Easy to store them in the Corbin saddlebags. Weight 1.5 per bladder dry and the typical weight of gasoline at 72 degrees F is around 6.25 lbs per gallon: total 20.875 lbs each.

Lamonster
03-24-2009, 07:35 AM
I ordered 2 grey Collapsible Fuel Bladder 15.75" x 17.75" 3.1 gal or 12 liters. Easy to store them in the Corbin saddlebags. Weight 1.5 per bladder dry and the typical weight of gasoline at 72 degrees F is around 6.25 lbs per gallon: total 20.875 lbs each.
I like those. I may do the same for my trip. I needed it on my last trip to San Diego :yikes:

patches
03-24-2009, 08:50 AM
I am considering making this ride out with you. I could meet you on 40, I am about 8 hours away, not sure what exit you will be getting on but I am sure that will work. I do need to do some work on the spyder first to make such a trip. I also coach soccer and baseball and of course, June is game time around here. How long do you plan on being out including the drive time. I don't have any bags or extra storage so I would need to get some before this big trip. Still thinking. 2 kids and a x-wife prevent me from buying too many goodies.

smokster
03-24-2009, 11:52 AM
I would definitely consider this. Now that my job is apparently safe (at least for another month) some of these road trips may be able to be scheduled. I was hoping for Gatlinburg again this year but this could replace it if we could only do one major trip. Being its a BRP event, I'm sure they will be doing their part to make it worthwhile. :thumbup:
Glad to hear your job is safe for now.
Hopefully we will see you on this side of the coast

dltang
03-24-2009, 02:38 PM
I am considering making this ride out with you. I could meet you on 40, I am about 8 hours away, not sure what exit you will be getting on but I am sure that will work. I do need to do some work on the spyder first to make such a trip. I also coach soccer and baseball and of course, June is game time around here. How long do you plan on being out including the drive time. I don't have any bags or extra storage so I would need to get some before this big trip. Still thinking. 2 kids and a x-wife prevent me from buying too many goodies.

Hey Patches, that would be great. As I mentioned before, we are meeting on I-40 as well. Everything is not firmed up but what I suggested tentatively is this. The first night June 23rd meet just outside Oklahoma City in a small town called Checotah, OK. The reason for this is that Brian's mom has a family membership to Coast to Coast RV resorts. We can tent camp for free or rent one of their Park Cabins that usually sleep 4-6 depending on size and availability for $30-$50 per night. Brian and I were planning on tenting it, but if one or two folks or so wanted to split the rental costs of these cabins, we would consider that as well. The next day would be a long haul, close to 18 hours to get to Bullhead City, AZ and stay at another campground. That would only leave about 5 hours for the third day and plenty of time to rest up. We also found a campground about 60 miles outside of LA that we are tentatively planning on staying at for the 3-4 nights we are out there. Travel trailer sleeps 4 for $55 per night. Nothing is set in stone but this is what I kind of have sketched out so far.

How does this look to you Lamont? Who else is riding out with you? Were you thinking of stopping more or less than I have sketched out here? Any input is very appreciated. You are the expert in long hauls and I value your opinion.

Lamonster
03-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Hey Patches, that would be great. As I mentioned before, we are meeting on I-40 as well. Everything is not firmed up but what I suggested tentatively is this. The first night June 23rd meet just outside Oklahoma City in a small town called Checotah, OK. The reason for this is that Brian's mom has a family membership to Coast to Coast RV resorts. We can tent camp for free or rent one of their Park Cabins that usually sleep 4-6 depending on size and availability for $30-$50 per night. Brian and I were planning on tenting it, but if one or two folks or so wanted to split the rental costs of these cabins, we would consider that as well. The next day would be a long haul, close to 18 hours to get to Bullhead City, AZ and stay at another campground. That would only leave about 5 hours for the third day and plenty of time to rest up. We also found a campground about 60 miles outside of LA that we are tentatively planning on staying at for the 3-4 nights we are out there. Travel trailer sleeps 4 for $55 per night. Nothing is set in stone but this is what I kind of have sketched out so far.

How does this look to you Lamont? Who else is riding out with you? Were you thinking of stopping more or less than I have sketched out here? Any input is very appreciated. You are the expert in long hauls and I value your opinion.

Right now BajaRon will be riding for sure and there's another guy who's talking about it.

Might want to give yourself an extra day or two out just in case one of us has issues, personal or mechanical.

I don't stay in anything that looks like a trailer park in Oklahoma :shocked: guess I watch the weather channel too much. :yikes:

I'm sure we can fine tune this as the time rolls near. I'm looking forward to it. :doorag:

dltang
03-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Right now BajaRon will be riding for sure and there's another guy who's talking about it.

Might want to give yourself an extra day or two out just in case one of us has issues, personal or mechanical.

I don't stay in anything that looks like a trailer park in Oklahoma :shocked: guess I watch the weather channel too much. :yikes:

I'm sure we can fine tune this as the time rolls near. I'm looking forward to it. :doorag:

You don't have to stay in the trailer park, but for the sake of economics, I believe we will be camping along the way. By leaving on the 23rd, and riding as hard as I would like, that gets us there early in the day on the 25th. I realize the event begins on the 26th with the 27th being their main day. Due to only getting so much time off of work, I have to work with what I can. One option is to leave in the evening after I get out of work on the 22nd. Anyway, as you mentioned, we will fine tune it as we get closer to the dates. One quick question though Lamont. Barring and mechanical or personal issues, do you think those rides I have chosen are too much to try to take on? Thanks for you input.