PDA

View Full Version : Swaybar and Fox Podium Shocks?

Carolyn
07-11-2016, 10:27 PM
I just bought a new "leftover" 2014 Spyder ST several weeks ago. Just a little background....I purchased a new 2015 Harley Street 500 last October, and managed to put around 300 miles on it before I finally had to admit I'm not as young as I used to be (I had Kawasaki motorcycles in my 20's (40 years ago) and rode 'em everywhere)! SO, in May I bought a new Suzuki TU250, thinking "smaller bike equals easier". Not so much. Loved the bike, but still had a hard time keeping it upright standing still :opps:. My last attempt, at a stop light, I ended up with a slashed up elbow and knee, and a second degree burn on my leg (3 weeks later and it still hurts like h***). I got back on the horse, so to speak, and rode it home, but that was it for me. No more two-wheelers! I was thinking seriously about Slingshots, but those two seats made it too "car-like", and I already have a great car!!
Anyway, my husband told me about these, and I'm now a proud Spyder owner (and I LOVE it)! Got a question, though. I'm trying to get used to the "floaty" feeling when riding it, more so if it's windy. I just feel like I'm floating or weaving back and forth on the road, if that makes any sense. I was reading on the forum about swaybars, so called the dealer and was told I could get a swaybar in a kit with a Fox Podium shocks upgrade. So, my question is, will the $$$ be worth it? I believe the cost he mentioned was around $390+. I also want to get the fog light kit, so we're talking around $800 for both. The fog light kit I definitely want, but need advice on the swaybar/shock kit. Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you!!!
:riding:

Pampurrs
07-11-2016, 10:33 PM
From the "For What it's Worth" file....

Personally, I would just get the BajaRon sway bar for now, ride it awhile and see what you think before you spend more money on shocks, unless the package deal is too good to pass up. I'm sure both mods will help, but if you get them done at the same time, you'll never know.

Pam

Haze
07-11-2016, 11:01 PM
I have a 2013 Spyder ST. I added a BajaRon swaybar and had it Laser aligned,
The ride vastly improved in regard to roll and dive in corners.
The stock ST shocks for 2013 are not preload adjustable and the front end is undersprung.

At Spyderfest I upgraded to Elka adjustable shocks and springs. Now the ride and handling
is very much improved. Especially handling at speed on the highway. No more bob and weave
when passing trucks or in cross winds. Expencive but worth it to me.

Now for your ride... I believe the 2014 ST already has adjustable Fox shocks. Crank up
the preload. Just add the sway bar for now. And by all means get a laser alignment. :yes::yes::yes:

Cheers,
David C.

SpyderAnn01
07-11-2016, 11:21 PM
From the "For What it's Worth" file....

Personally, I would just get the BajaRon sway bar for now, ride it awhile and see what you think before you spend more money on shocks, unless the package deal is too good to pass up. I'm sure both mods will help, but if you get them done at the same time, you'll never know.

Pam

That would be my recommendation also.

Explorer
07-12-2016, 02:23 PM
1. I have 35,000 miles on a 2014 ST-L.
2. You have Fox adjustable shocks on your 14. That is an improvement over the 13.
3. I got the fog lights. You will love them.
4. Make sure that your tire pressure is according to the manual.
5. Get a laser alignment. You can research that on this site.
6. Those things made my ride perfect.
7. If those things don't do it for you, then you can consider a new bar.
Good luck,
Roger

GearHd
07-12-2016, 02:31 PM
The preload is maxed out on the Fox shocks on our 14 ST-L. We had it laser aligned and added the sway bar, it handles great now.

Rob Rodriguez
07-12-2016, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't even hesitate. I'd just order the Baja Ron bar right now. The Ron bar and fox shocks made a complete difference on my RS. I would say it was borderline unsafe riding 2 up with the factory sway bar. The front was just very floaty.

Why BRP sells these bikes with the inadequate swaybar they use is beyond me. Seems like an easy thing for them to upgrade at the factory to make a huge difference for the customer.

BajaRon
07-12-2016, 06:45 PM
The sway bar that comes in the Fox Shock upgrade kit is a complete waste of time. We tested an ST with just the upgraded bar that comes in that kit and no one could tell the difference. 100% of the improvement you get from that kit comes from the Fox Shocks.

Frankly, I would not be building a bar kit for the ST if that upgrade kit bar worked.

shoes8
07-12-2016, 09:30 PM
I recently traded in my 2013 STS for an F3. When I purchased the STS, I immediately did the upgraded shocks and swaybar kit from Can Am. It improved the ride but not to what I had on my 2008 RS so nor was it worth the price I paid. I ordered the Baja Ron Sway bar. Wow, it was absolutely a game changer for me. I felt like I was on a whole new bike. A year later, I changed out the Fox Shocks and put on the Elkas....that was the final WOW...I rode the bike over 60,000 miles before trading her in for my F3. Go for the BAJA RON BAR first and don't look back! The fog lights are great too!

Carolyn
07-12-2016, 11:06 PM
I appreciate the time and trouble everyone took for their response. Being a newbie, all the advice I can get is very helpful. I'm definitely getting the fog light kit, and the swaybar is next on the list.....if for nothing else, peace of mind knowing I've done all I can do to prolong my second childhood! ;)

JerryB
07-12-2016, 11:57 PM
Hi Carolyn,

Re: I've done all I can do to prolong my second childhood!

Life as it should be. I once had a T-shirt that said: I MAY GET OLDER BUT I REFUSE TO GROW UP

Jerry Baumchen

ingramwc
07-13-2016, 09:17 AM
:welcome:The '14 STS already has the FOX Podium shocks as standard equipment, as was previously mentioned. I purchased a leftover '13 STS SE5 in May of '15.
The first thing I did to it was ordered the BajaRon sway bar and billet links and I had the Laser Alignment done. It felt like a different machine!!! No more wandering on the road,
and the corning ability is improved a ton! Best money I spent so far for my Spyder!!!!! Enjoy your new ride and ride safe!!!!