PDA

View Full Version : New Key Program Problem

SteveandBelinda
07-11-2016, 09:00 PM
I just drove 155 miles to a Platinum Dealership to look around their store, and get a kep programmed while there. I just bought a 2010 RT a couple of weeks ago and only got one key. Well, since then I had picked me up a new
key and had it cut, just not programmed. Well this dealership I was at today did me a favor and programmed the key when they didn't really have time. When I left I wanted to make sure the new key was working, so I used
it all the way home. When I got home I reached in my pocket, pulled out the old key, and put it in the ignition and turned it on, pushed the start button and screen lit up orange and said "BAD KEY, and will not work at all to
start the bike anymore. This is the origninal key that doesn't work now, and the new programmed key does.
Anyone know why this would have happened. Hate to have to drive another 155 miles round trip just to take it back, but don't know what else to do. :sour:

dlby
07-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Please keep us posted

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

pitzerwm
07-11-2016, 09:51 PM
They were to "program" both keys. For everyone else try BOTH keys before you drive off.

BoilerAnimal
07-11-2016, 09:55 PM
I seem to remember reading something on SL that you should have your old key and the new one done together because of this probable outcome. But I have slept several times since then, so you may not to put much stock in that.

SteveandBelinda
07-11-2016, 10:13 PM
They were to "program" both keys. For everyone else try BOTH keys before you drive off.

They did have both keys at the time of programming, and YES, try both keys before you leave. I didn't because the original key had always worked, and didn't have a reason to doubt that it wouldn't anymore, just
making sure the new one did work, BUT never assume anything anymore.

ThreeWheels
07-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Yes, as others have stated.
On the 2010, ALL the keys have to be programmed at the same time so that all the chips get registered in the ignition.
Your old key is still good, you'll just need to go through the reprogramming procedure with both keys.

Pampurrs
07-11-2016, 10:19 PM
Making a note of this information for the future. :read:

Pam

Bfromla
07-11-2016, 10:20 PM
I seem to remember reading something on SL that you should have your old key and the new one done together because of this probable outcome. But I have slept several times since then, so you may not to put much stock in that.
:thumbup: THANKS again BOB:firstplace:

http://youtu.be/7wEN2c9x8K0

billybovine
07-11-2016, 10:45 PM
According to the manual what you describe should not be possible. But from what others have posted in the past with their experiences. Stuff like this does happen. Cannot program a new key without one old working key. That you had. If two keys minimum are not successfully programed. Key programing fails and reverts to previous programed keys. That did not happen for you.

So it's time to do it again. Find someone with a master key and run the programing cycle again.

garb55
07-11-2016, 11:25 PM
:yes::yes: :yes:Another 155 mile ride :yes::yes::yes:

trikermutha
07-12-2016, 06:54 AM
wonder if they removed the second key when programming your key..I know when looking at mine I could see two keys were programmed.

finless
07-12-2016, 10:37 AM
The instructions are jacked up! They are not right. If the dealer never did this before then good chance they did it wrong.
If you don't get at least 2 keys programmed, your battery will slowly drain as you have left it in programming mode!

Here is a video I made showing HOW to program keys with the red master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8xbXEE_ky4

Bob

finless
07-12-2016, 10:45 AM
According to the manual what you describe should not be possible. But from what others have posted in the past with their experiences. Stuff like this does happen. Cannot program a new key without one old working key. That you had. If two keys minimum are not successfully programed. Key programing fails and reverts to previous programed keys. That did not happen for you.

So it's time to do it again. Find someone with a master key and run the programing cycle again.

That is not quite correct and the manual is so wrong on this it is not even funny.
It always will program one key if you insert one after the master. It does not revert to the original key if it fails after one key.
If you do nothing after inserting the master, then it never removes the original key. If you do insert a key after the master, it will remove the original and program the first one. This is a protection in a way so you can never wind up with NO keys programmed.

See my video above. Is show 100% this process.

Bob

finless
07-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Making a note of this information for the future. :read:

Pam

Pam, don't take this note. Your Spyder is very different in how keys are added. Totally different than the 2010-2013 RT.

Bob

Pampurrs
07-12-2016, 10:52 AM
Yeah that occurred to me after I posted thar. Thanks Bob!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Chupaca
07-12-2016, 11:03 AM
It may be a dealer programming issue. All that I know that have had keys cloned have nevert had any problems. Did you try the car key system of putting the good key in and after shutting down within seconds inserting and turning it back on ? Does look like the dealer will have to fix this for you. My understanding is programming is not cheap so we that can clone...:banghead:

finless
07-12-2016, 11:05 AM
My understanding is programming is not cheap so we that can clone...:banghead:

It should be free! With the red master it takes all of about 5 minutes to program up to 4 keys.
If it is expensive to someone then the dealer is ripping you off!

See my video above and you will see how easy it is. IF you know how to do it and not follow the manual which is way off!

Bob

Bob Denman
07-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Hi Bob!
How about a link to your video? :dontknow:

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Hi Bob!
How about a link to your video? :dontknow:
You mean like the one in post #12? :thumbup:

SteveandBelinda
07-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Just got back from another 155 mile key fiasco. Told service manager that original key no longer works. I said that I left yesterday using the newly programmed key to make sure that is was indeed working, and did not
check original key before I left yesterday because it has always worked and had no reason to think that it wouldn't any longer.
Told him I got home and put that key in and nothing but a one time orange screen that said "BAD KEY"
After about 20 minutes, he said "your bike is ready", I asked him what was wrong and he said, "You have to program BOTH keys at the same time", and this guy is the service manager? DUH, he should have known that,
and not even a Sorry.

Bfromla
07-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Just got back from another 155 mile key fiasco. Told service manager that original key no longer works. I said that I left yesterday using the newly programmed key to make sure that is was indeed working, and did not
check original key before I left yesterday because it has always worked and had no reason to think that it wouldn't any longer.
Told him I got home and put that key in and nothing but a one time orange screen that said "BAD KEY"
After about 20 minutes, he said "your bike is ready", I asked him what was wrong and he said, "You have to program BOTH keys at the same time", and this guy is the service manager? DUH, he should have known that,
and not even a Sorry.

So your good now? & 155 mile trip wasnt that bad cuz thing are good:doorag::thumbup:

Tazzel
07-12-2016, 04:09 PM
don't know, when I had my 998 I purchased the Aprilla key for about $8.00 and had it cloned at my local Ace Hardware for free. Wont pay the Dealer prices for an extra programed key.

SteveandBelinda
07-12-2016, 04:41 PM
So your good now? & 155 mile trip wasnt that bad cuz thing are good:doorag::thumbup:

I'm good now, but 310 miles total for a key programming. Just crazy :yikes:

SteveandBelinda
07-12-2016, 04:44 PM
don't know, when I had my 998 I purchased the Aprilla key for about $8.00 and had it cloned at my local Ace Hardware for free. Wont pay the Dealer prices for an extra programed key.

I would like to have one of those, at least they have a hole in it for a key ring, but had this key cut at a reputable local locksmith, and even asked him if he could clone a key, and he told me that those machines cost tens of
thousands of dollars, and nobody does enough car key programming to afford anything like that. I think that I will call a local Ace Hardware and ask them.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-12-2016, 05:01 PM
Does anyone know if an Aprila key can be programmed, or only cloned? If only cloned then you might be up the proverbial deep creek if both BRP keys are lost and have only an Aprila key and need to get a new key programmed.

SteveandBelinda
07-12-2016, 05:03 PM

I would like to have one of those, at least they have a hole in it for a key ring, but had this key cut at a reputable local locksmith, and even asked him if he could clone a key, and he told me that those machines cost tens of
thousands of dollars, and nobody does enough car key programming to afford anything like that. I think that I will call a local Ace Hardware and ask them.
I am going to one right now and will tell you what worked out in the way of cloning.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-12-2016, 05:03 PM
A local True Value cloned my Aprila keys when I had my 2013 RT. Since such service wasn't in their pricing guide they didn't charge me! :thumbup:

SteveandBelinda
07-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Just got back. They had the key for what they call a Honda 100 series key (Honda Insight 2003-2006/Acura MDX 2006) both keys are the same. Said that it did not even look like the Spyder key and didn't think would work. Also they are 69.00 for a blank key. Might as well buy the factory one. They never heard of an Aprilla key. Further investigation needed.

finless
07-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Just got back. They had the key for what they call a Honda 100 series key (Honda Insight 2003-2006/Acura MDX 2006) both keys are the same. Said that it did not even look like the Spyder key and didn't think would work. Also they are 69.00 for a blank key. Might as well buy the factory one. They never heard of an Aprilla key. Further investigation needed.

watch the video where I show how to order spare keys (Aprilla)?
Post #8
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?95595-New-Key-Program-Problem&p=1155102&viewfull=1#post1155102

Bob

JerryB
07-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Hi IdahoMtnSpyder,

Re: If only cloned then you might be up the proverbial deep creek if both BRP keys are lost and have only an Aprila key and need to get a new key programmed.

Right now I'm too lazy to get up and get out the paperwork on my cloned keys ( Previously I have posted on who I bought from in an another thread on this subject ). I bought one & was happy with it. I contacted him about getting two more and he said he had the info 'on file' and would not need either of my two factory keys. He just made me two more without my sending a key in again.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) My two factory keys are put away & never used.

billybovine
07-12-2016, 08:07 PM
Does anyone know if an Aprila key can be programmed, or only cloned? If only cloned then you might be up the proverbial deep creek if both BRP keys are lost and have only an Aprila key and need to get a new key programmed.

To the Spyder the Aprila key is no different than the key that it was cloned from.

Tazzel
07-12-2016, 08:08 PM
I am going to one right now and will tell you what worked out in the way of cloning.

I purchased 2 Aprilla keys and had them both cloned at Ace then I tucked the 2 originals in my Jewellery chest and only used the clones. Never had a problem.

Bfromla
07-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Thats more to why i like mi keyport slidehttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160713/d8024954729af196d787ae581af9de6a.jpg kets me keep my oem's as spares :). https://mykeyport.com

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS