PDA

View Full Version : Limp Home Mode??? I-90 Motorsports in Issaquah, WA???

chetandmarj
07-11-2016, 08:15 PM
On Sat (7/9) on the way back from Sumas, WA to Everett, WA on our Lower 48, No Interstate Tour, the "Limp Home Mode" light came on about 10 miles from the hotel. A little research on google told us it is the CAN (Computer Area Network) Bus telling us something isn’t right, but it doesn’t say what. Have to take it into the dealer to get it hooked up to the BUDS diagnostic software and get the codes. Did we tell you this happened about 7:00 p.m. on a Saturday night? Why is that relevant? As many of you know, most motorcycle shops are open Saturdays until around 5:00 p.m. and then closed on Sunday and Monday. That’s true of both of the Can-Am dealers in the Seattle area as well. The bike was running ok, so we managed to get back to the hotel. Some of the posts about this mode said when they turned the bike off and let the computer reset, the light went out and never came back on. We weren’t so lucky. After much discussion and debate we decided we didn’t want to take the chance of getting stranded along the Washington/Oregon coast. There is a lot of that area that is remote enough there may not be cell coverage and certainly no Can-Am dealers. The decision was finally made…we’ll hang out in Seattle until Tuesday and have the dealer check it out before we make the final push back to New Mexico.

On Sunday, we decided to change hotels to get closer to I-90 Motorsports. About 15 miles from the new hotel, we slowed at a stop light and the engine died…not good! It did start back up without any problem. Chet noticed it seemed to be running kind of sluggish…beginning to suspect the fuel we got in Sumas may have not been the best stuff. We bought high-test like we usually do…however, being as remote as it is, it could be the fuel was old or compromised in some way. We stopped to put in some better fuel and it ran a little better. Hoping that’s all it is and the dealer can clean out the nasty fuel and get us back up and running on Tuesday. As of now, the bike is truly in Limp Home Mode…not running well at all. Hoping we can “limp it” to the dealer on Tuesday and don’t end up needing the help of a “walker” (aka: tow truck).

Do any of you have experience with I-90 Motorsports? Hoping they can help us out on Tuesday.

Any advice on Limp Home Mode is welcome as well!

GearHd
07-11-2016, 08:25 PM
If you've got a smart phone, download Spyder Codes and pull your codes and check them.

White Lightening
07-11-2016, 09:11 PM
On Sat (7/9) on the way back from Sumas, WA to Everett, WA on our Lower 48, No Interstate Tour, the "Limp Home Mode" light came on about 10 miles from the hotel. A little research on google told us it is the CAN (Computer Area Network) Bus telling us something isn’t right, but it doesn’t say what. Have to take it into the dealer to get it hooked up to the BUDS diagnostic software and get the codes. Did we tell you this happened about 7:00 p.m. on a Saturday night? Why is that relevant? As many of you know, most motorcycle shops are open Saturdays until around 5:00 p.m. and then closed on Sunday and Monday. That’s true of both of the Can-Am dealers in the Seattle area as well. The bike was running ok, so we managed to get back to the hotel. Some of the posts about this mode said when they turned the bike off and let the computer reset, the light went out and never came back on. We weren’t so lucky. After much discussion and debate we decided we didn’t want to take the chance of getting stranded along the Washington/Oregon coast. There is a lot of that area that is remote enough there may not be cell coverage and certainly no Can-Am dealers. The decision was finally made…we’ll hang out in Seattle until Tuesday and have the dealer check it out before we make the final push back to New Mexico.

On Sunday, we decided to change hotels to get closer to I-90 Motorsports. About 15 miles from the new hotel, we slowed at a stop light and the engine died…not good! It did start back up without any problem. Chet noticed it seemed to be running kind of sluggish…beginning to suspect the fuel we got in Sumas may have not been the best stuff. We bought high-test like we usually do…however, being as remote as it is, it could be the fuel was old or compromised in some way. We stopped to put in some better fuel and it ran a little better. Hoping that’s all it is and the dealer can clean out the nasty fuel and get us back up and running on Tuesday. As of now, the bike is truly in Limp Home Mode…not running well at all. Hoping we can “limp it” to the dealer on Tuesday and don’t end up needing the help of a “walker” (aka: tow truck).

Do any of you have experience with I-90 Motorsports? Hoping they can help us out on Tuesday.

Any advice on Limp Home Mode is welcome as well!

i bought my RtL from I-90 2 years ago. My experience with them is a mixed bag. Even though they are only 7 miles from home I typically now take mine to Clem's in Enumclaw for service 36 miles away. Clem's has been more responsive and less expensive. I don't know how responsive either are for someone stuck on a long road trip like yourself. To me Spyders seem much more of a side business for I-90 than Clem's. I am confident given enough time I-90 can find and fix your issue. One positive is directly across the street from I-90 the gas station sells only pure gas.

chetandmarj
07-12-2016, 04:54 PM
If you've got a smart phone, download Spyder Codes and pull your codes and check them.

Thanks, that was helpful. We found out it was the ECM and in particular the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I-90 Motorsports is checking it out today...will know more soon.

GearHd
07-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Chupaca
07-12-2016, 04:59 PM
But if it is in their hands they should be able to determine the steps needed to get you back on the road...Hang on to the app it does way more than codes....:thumbup:

ronII
07-14-2016, 03:57 PM
i bought my RtL from I-90 2 years ago. My experience with them is a mixed bag. Even though they are only 7 miles from home I typically now take mine to Clem's in Enumclaw for service 36 miles away. Clem's has been more responsive and less expensive. I don't know how responsive either are for someone stuck on a long road trip like yourself. To me Spyders seem much more of a side business for I-90 than Clem's. I am confident given enough time I-90 can find and fix your issue. One positive is directly across the street from I-90 the gas station sells only pure gas.

Had same problem, replace the two vaccum line and it fitted the problem for about $10

bigrigdriver
07-17-2016, 01:16 PM
I have been to I-90 few times, they're super busy in the summer months so don't expect top notch service. In the winter it's a different story because of the low volume, so you get more attention. Their prices are higher due to the fact that they're the only CanAm dealer close to the Seattle metro area. The sales & service staff are good, they do have younger employees in the summer months that really just their for the fun of it. They're on par with Clems & Life Styles in Mt. Vernon, give or take a buck or two.