PDA

View Full Version : Vee Rubber VTR-350 Arachnid Touring Rear Tire

rcturner
07-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Last week I had an Arachnid rear tire put on my 2014 RT-S. So far it is working very well and I would recommend it to anyone that wants something different from the OEM Kenda. I have nothing against the original Kenda but, I would like to have had it last longer. I have no idea why BRP would have had Kenda design a tire with such short life but, they did. In looking at the BRP part numbers for the RT rear tires, they have bounced around a bit and seem to have settled on the 1464 tire. This tire was used in 2011, 2012, 2015 thru 2017. My 2012 had that tire and I got 9600 miles on it with some useful life left in it. No complaints. The new Arachnid does handle better and seems to run down the road a bit easier. I hope that it will last longer than the 1464 did on my 2012 and maybe get into the 15000 mile range for useful life. I have collected all of the useful data that I can about this tire and will be monitoring life, air pressure, etc until I can determine what proper air pressure will be for my bike and riding conditions. Starting at 24 PSI.

Bob Denman
07-11-2016, 01:04 PM
I wish you the best of luck with it! :2thumbs:

Culpjp
07-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Hopefully yours does better than most others, that don't get much longer tread life with the Arachnids.

Chupaca
07-11-2016, 01:15 PM
Though the oem Kenda on my 2012 RS lasted 19,000 miles and the second a bit less I thought to try the Arachnid. So far, as you said , so good. Will be watching it as well and see how far down the road it will go...:thumbup:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-11-2016, 01:28 PM
how does it balance?

trikermutha
07-11-2016, 02:25 PM
I recommend 30 PSI..It doesn't wear the same as stock..

rcturner
07-11-2016, 02:55 PM
how does it balance?

It balanced with 1 1/2 ounces. It also seems to be very round and the tread seems to run straight. No feeling of wondering at all due to the tread pattern wondering as I have had on some tires (Continental) on my Goldwings in the past.

trikermutha

Based on what I see right now, 30 PSI would be excessive. That is, however, one of the things I will be keeping a very close eye on.

trikermutha
07-11-2016, 03:04 PM
It balanced with 1 1/2 ounces. It also seems to be very round and the tread seems to run straight. No feeling of wondering at all due to the tread pattern wondering as I have had on some tires (Continental) on my Goldwings in the past.

trikermutha

Based on what I see right now, 30 PSI would be excessive. That is, however, one of the things I will be keeping a very close eye on.

I got the recommendation from SpyderAnn. As I have seen it does wear different than lower pressure. You can go up to 30 PSI and the wear pattern changes some..You will see. :thumbup::thumbup:
These ties wear more on the outside than the middle. Good Luck. I have 7 K on mine now..I figure 12 to 14 K out of the rear. Time will tell.

Bob L
07-11-2016, 03:23 PM
I just ordered one to be installed next week. Earlier in the Spring V-rubber came out with version V35004 which has a weight rating of 80H (Almost 1,000 pounds - which is more than their older version and the Kendra). When I first called the dealer said it was not on their screen to order, so he called, and was able to order this new version of the Arachnid.

Cannot be any worse than the Kendras I have had... 5,000, 9,000, and 7,500 mile respectively.

Bob

rcturner
07-11-2016, 03:30 PM
I got the recommendation from SpyderAnn. As I have seen it does wear different than lower pressure. You can go up to 30 PSI and the wear pattern changes some..You will see. :thumbup::thumbup:
These ties wear more on the outside than the middle. Good Luck. I have 7 K on mine now..I figure 12 to 14 K out of the rear. Time will tell.

Mine is the touring version of the Arachnid. They haven't been out very long so I would be surprised if there was much real life information available as yet. If we can actually get some wear on the outside, I can work with that and adjust.

trikermutha
07-11-2016, 03:35 PM
These tires came out last year. SPYDERANN has run 3 sets on her Spyder so far..

Anyway have fun..

I know the stock tire lasted only 5800 miles on my Spyder. SO the Vee Rubber outlast them by far.:thumbup:

Once more of you get VEE Rubber installed I am sure we will hear about it. :shocked:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-11-2016, 05:26 PM
well i hope they are good, i will be needing new tires i think by next spring

rcturner
07-11-2016, 07:04 PM
These tires came out last year. SPYDERANN has run 3 sets on her Spyder so far..

Anyway have fun..

I know the stock tire lasted only 5800 miles on my Spyder. SO the Vee Rubber outlast them by far.:thumbup:

Once more of you get VEE Rubber installed I am sure we will hear about it. :shocked:

It is really hard to find out how long the touring version has been out but, it looks as if they were released to the public earlier this year. As I said, it is really hard to tell if this info is correct or not. Either way it is of no consequence.

SpyderAnn01
07-11-2016, 07:08 PM

No matter what pressure I ran in the Arachnid it wore out on the outside edges - opposite of the Kenda. I mostly ran 28 in mine and do not remember recommending 30 psi. I doubt that you will get any better mileage out of the Arachnid than you do on a Kenda. I hope I am wrong.

rcturner
07-11-2016, 07:13 PM
No matter what pressure I ran in the Arachnid it wore out on the outside edges - opposite of the Kenda. I mostly ran 28 in mine and do not remember recommending 30 psi. I doubt that you will get any better mileage out of the Arachnid than you do on a Kenda. I hope I am wrong.

Have you been running the Touring or standard rear tires?

SpyderAnn01
07-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Have you been running the Touring or standard rear tires?

The last one I had was supposed to be the latest and greatest. This was last year.

Bob Denman
07-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Is the Touring version a different compound (hardness), or is it more about the tread pattern? :dontknow:

rcturner
07-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Is the Touring version a different compound (hardness), or is it more about the tread pattern? :dontknow:

It is apparently in materials and construction. The load rating is higher than the standard Arachnid and the Kenda.

trikermutha
07-11-2016, 08:31 PM

I already past the Kenda for mileage..And still have a lot more to go..

trikermutha
07-11-2016, 08:33 PM
It is really hard to find out how long the touring version has been out but, it looks as if they were released to the public earlier this year. As I said, it is really hard to tell if this info is correct or not. Either way it is of no consequence.

I posted the new Touring or version Vee Rubber a while back.. I was in contact with Vee Rubber etc..:thumbup:

trikermutha
07-11-2016, 08:34 PM

Yep outside on the tires are wearing ..Time will tell ..

dlby
07-11-2016, 09:44 PM
Glad it's working 4 u
Just put a Yokahama s drive on mine

The better ride and handling of these different types of tyres sometimes get overlooked in the quest for more mileage. Although I hope we all get both
Cya on the road

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

SpyderAnn01
07-11-2016, 11:31 PM
Glad it's working 4 u
Just put a Yokahama s drive on mine

The better ride and handling of these different types of tyres sometimes get overlooked in the quest for more mileage. Although I hope we all get both
Cya on the road

I found the handling on the Yokohama S Drive to be pretty good, it has a tread pattern very similar to the Kenda. I didn't get great mileage out of it though again similar to what I got on a Kenda. But I agree you may give up handling for better mileage.

IGETAROUND
07-12-2016, 11:26 PM
I am in California, 25000+ miles on my OEM front tires and 17000 on the Kumo rear. Have 2 Continental for the front and another Kumo for the rear being delivered tomorrow. Will drive back to home without worrying about running into rain and getting squirrely. Not too shabby for the front OEM's. The 3500+ miles here from Michigan were so pleasant after Ann and Joe got me squared away!!!!:bowdown::thumbup:

rcturner
07-13-2016, 07:01 PM
The last one I had was supposed to be the latest and greatest. This was last year.

I am going to highjack my own thread.

With the endless miles you have put on various Spyders, what has your experiance been with the belts? On my Harley it was almost a non-issue. Have you found the Spyders to be any different?

wd8ajj
07-13-2016, 07:39 PM
I am running 30 PSI on mine with 5K on it and now just showing some outside wear but not much. I have an 2014 RT and these are the new tire made for that unit. So far I am happy. Need to do the front soon but not sure yet what brand to get.

rcturner
07-17-2016, 08:07 PM
I am currently at about 400 miles on this tire. I am also at a strong 28 PSI. I started seeing some loss in tread depth at the lower pressures suggested. At 28 PSI it seems to be in check. I think I will try 30 PSI just to see if I experience any center wear. :coffee:

hager-spider
07-18-2016, 07:30 AM
I just purchased my 2009 RS in February this year, and a new tire had been installed before I bought it. I will not be a very good one to rate the longevity of my rear tire, because it is so much fun to light it up from start.

rcturner
10-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Since the installation of my Arachnid I have started to see wear on the left side that cannot really be explained. The right side seems OK. My dealer has tried to get VeeRubber involved but, they don't seem very interested. The tire that came off of the machine did not do this. The problem is new with this this tire. My dealer is trying to get some real involvement from VeeRubber but, I don't hold out much hope for them to get interested in the problem. The tire is ok but the manufacturer seems to be disinterested.

Snowbelt Spyder
10-18-2016, 06:27 PM
Since the installation of my Arachnid I have started to see wear on the left side that cannot really be explained. The right side seems OK. My dealer has tried to get VeeRubber involved but, they don't seem very interested. The tire that came off of the machine did not do this. The problem is new with this this tire. My dealer is trying to get some real involvement from VeeRubber but, I don't hold out much hope for them to get interested in the problem. The tire is ok but the manufacturer seems to be disinterested.

Don't feel alone - same here. Left side only. Word on the street awhile back was that the tire is prone to side wear, and the company said to run them over 30# pressure. I always did that, But after 5K miles, the left side is down to the wear bars. The right side has some room to go yet, and the middle is hardly worn. Alignment is good. i think it's just a tire issue. Yok S-Drive next time.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-18-2016, 06:35 PM
This is the explanation ..... the tire is just like the Kenda which is what the Arachnid was modeled after .... CRAP ...... and the manufacturer isn't much better :banghead: :banghead: .......Mike :thumbup:

dlby
10-18-2016, 08:19 PM
Yokahama s drive babey
Oh yes
Love em

trikermutha
10-18-2016, 11:40 PM
The tire was made that way..I took pictures of the new tire and used it for 8K miles. Then looked at it and yes the left side worn a bit more but there was less rubber on that side to start with.

They do wear on the outside edges more that the middle..I never went over 30PSI