PDA

View Full Version : Tire Rotation

ricford
07-11-2016, 11:51 AM
In a post that I cannot now find again, I noted someone wrote that in rotating the front tires, they must be removed from the wheels in order that the direction of rotation be preserved. I am running Continental ContiProcontact 175/55 R 15 tires. Snug fit but clearance is adequate. And the performance is outstanding. I'm over 15,000 miles now and am wondering if I should even worry about rotating them. And again, the direction of rotation question. Oh, one other 'thing' about inflation. I run both at 20 PSI but am wondering if it is even worth it to fill with a gas other than air.

garb55
07-11-2016, 12:28 PM
I have Conti Pros on the front of my RT
they are not directional tires
So they can be rotated without removing from the rim
I also run 20lbs. in mine
I have plain old air in mine

I guess it depends on what gas you want to put in then
Helium would make your :f_spider: lighter :roflblack::roflblack:

JayBros
07-11-2016, 12:46 PM
You did not tell us the year and model of your Spyder. Anyway, has it been Rolo Laser aligned. How does the tread wear of each tire look? Is the wear equal on both the inside and outside of each tread? Is the wear even through the entire circumference of each tire? If the answer to those four questions is yes I would not bother rotating them, JMO. As far as using nitrogen as opposed to air in the tires since nitrogen will not migrate through the tires as quickly as air your tire pressure will remain constant longer. OTOH, a weekly check of tires inflated with compressed air gives one the opportunity to inspect the them for road debris and damage, possibly saving the need for roadside repair. Again, JMO.

Bob Denman
07-11-2016, 01:07 PM
I run nitrogen in mine...:thumbup:

...the Cheap stuff: it's only 78% pure.
The rest of oxygen, some inert gasses, and pollution! :yikes:

Chupaca
07-11-2016, 01:23 PM
Few auto tires are rotational you therefore don't have to worry about the mounting issue. I wouldn't think you would have to rotate them at all. Just a good laser alignment and your good to go....:thumbup:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-11-2016, 01:27 PM
if you cross rotate you should flip tires, nitrogen is better then air

rcturner
07-11-2016, 03:20 PM
If you just move the tire and rim from one side to the other, you are not doing anything. The outside is still the outside and the inside is still the inside. Dismounting and remounting will generally not do anything but cause grief. Tires do not dismount and remount very well. Chances are that they will never run completely true again and you will wish you had left things alone.

ricford
07-12-2016, 09:22 PM
I run nitrogen in mine...:thumbup:

...the Cheap stuff: it's only 78% pure.
The rest of oxygen, some inert gasses, and pollution! :yikes:

Definition of eponymous

: of, relating to, or being the person or thing for whom or which something is named : of, relating to, or being an eponym (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eponym)

cool!