PDA

View Full Version : BRP trailer harness plug connection?

DanT
07-11-2016, 08:04 AM
I installed the BRP Spyder RT trailer hitch and harness on my 2015 RT now I need to change the plug on the trailer to mate with the small square BRP harness.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Where did you find the small square male plug connection for the trailer?

JayD
07-11-2016, 08:08 AM
I installed the BRP Spyder RT trailer hitch and harness on my 2015 RT now I need to change the plug on the trailer to mate with the small square BRP harness.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Where did you find the small square male plug connection for the trailer?

It is a Hopkins made plug. I found on Amazon.

billybovine
07-11-2016, 08:08 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-11147975-Pole-Square-Set/dp/B004BE60ZU?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top

DanT
07-11-2016, 09:20 AM
That's the plug. Awesome, thanks.

the trailer is a Unigo. I have it and would like to see how it will do behind the RT before deciding if I need to replace the trailer or not.

i will put together a pig tail to match up to the flat plug on the Unigo and the bikes square lug.

thanks again for the help.

Copperman
07-11-2016, 11:23 AM
That's the plug. Awesome, thanks.

the trailer is a Unigo. I have it and would like to see how it will do behind the RT before deciding if I need to replace the trailer or not.

i will put together a pig tail to match up to the flat plug on the Unigo and the bikes square lug.

thanks again for the help.

When you make the pigtail (jumper) for your trailer, be sure to test it before you button it up. When I made one for my Nomad trailer the color coded wires were not the same. I had to take it apart and change two wires. Then it worked perfectly.

If I remember right, the white and yellow wires were correct and the green and brown had to be changed.

DanT
07-11-2016, 01:45 PM
I'll keep an eye on the wiring, thanks.

A thought just crossed my mind. Hooking up the trailer to the RT, do I need to worry about the Canbus system?

The bike is wired with the BRP harness and control modular.

Copperman
07-11-2016, 02:11 PM

A thought just crossed my mind. Hooking up the trailer to the RT, do I need to worry about the Canbus system?

I would think you'd be fine. My understanding is when people are having issues it's when their trailer is not grounded correctly.

I've pulled two trailers over the last three years, the Nomad and an RT-622, and have over 25,000 miles pulling them. I've never had a problem and I've always had a BRP hitch and module.

pitzerwm
07-11-2016, 10:35 PM
Just for belt and suspenders I would add a "ground" on the trailer, to the trailer frame.

billybovine
07-11-2016, 10:58 PM

No part of the trailer harness is connected to the CAN bus. So not a concern.

Improper trailer wiring, most of the time bad ground but not always, can cook the isolator/converter module or as BRP calls it the control module. So if you are driving down the road and the trailer lights are flickering because of a bad connection. Say goodbye to the module eventually.

DanT
07-12-2016, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the pointers.

Cruising RT
07-25-2016, 09:05 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-11147975-Pole-Square-Set/dp/B004BE60ZU?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top

Thanks so much. I've been looking for this for a couple days now. Thanks for the info. Just ordered one from Ebay:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: