PDA

View Full Version : Starting and shifting problem

viiiball
07-09-2016, 08:32 AM
The wife has a 2011 RT Limited. We were out riding last weekend and the bike was idling very high. So high that when she would take her foot off the brake from a stop it would lurch forward. When we got to the house she pulled in the driveway and the bike would not go into reverse and was stuck in 1st gear. I had her shut it off and it had trouble restarting. I finally got it restarted and it went into neutral. But when I would put it into 1st gear the bike would cut off. Was able to get it into the garage and left it parked until today. This morning it started right up, I backed it out of the garage and when I put it into 1st gear it cut off again. When I tried to restart it acted like battery was drained, ticking noise and all dash gauges would cycle. I have it now on a charger trying to get some juice into the battery. It is still stuck in 1st gear.

Couple of questions:

1. Any thoughts what is causing this issue? Haven't been able to properly check oil level yet as its sitting on my driveway which is slanted. Trying to get it into the garage so I can check the oil level.

2. Is there any way to manually get it into neutral so I can push it back into the garage if I can't get it started?

spyderCodes
07-09-2016, 08:43 AM
The wife has a 2011 RT Limited. We were out riding last weekend and the bike was idling very high. So high that when she would take her foot off the brake from a stop it would lurch forward. When we got to the house she pulled in the driveway and the bike would not go into reverse and was stuck in 1st gear. I had her shut it off and it had trouble restarting. I finally got it restarted and it went into neutral. But when I would put it into 1st gear the bike would cut off. Was able to get it into the garage and left it parked until today. This morning it started right up, I backed it out of the garage and when I put it into 1st gear it cut off again. When I tried to restart it acted like battery was drained, ticking noise and all dash gauges would cycle. I have it now on a charger trying to get some juice into the battery. It is still stuck in 1st gear.

Couple of questions:

1. Any thoughts what is causing this issue? Haven't been able to properly check oil level yet as its sitting on my driveway which is slanted. Trying to get it into the garage so I can check the oil level.

2. Is there any way to manually get it into neutral so I can push it back into the garage if I can't get it started?

Yes, the owner's manual shows pictures & procedures for getting it into neutral.

Bob Denman
07-09-2016, 08:47 AM
That sounds an awful lot like a throttle body, or throttle position sensor problem...
If you can get it to start: it should shift itself into neutral.
If it does: try and pull up any active error codes.
Good Luck! :thumbup:

spyderCodes
07-09-2016, 08:52 AM
From owner's manual

Will not Shift into Neutral(SE5 Model)
If the gearbox cannot shift into neutralwhen vehicle is not moving:
1. The engine speed will be automaticallyincreased to approximately1800 RPM then it will be broughtback to idle speed.
2. Up to 3 attempts will be done.
3. If it does not work, retry pressing upshiftor downshift.

viiiball
07-09-2016, 09:00 AM
From owner's manual

Will not Shift into Neutral(SE5 Model)
If the gearbox cannot shift into neutralwhen vehicle is not moving:
1. The engine speed will be automaticallyincreased to approximately1800 RPM then it will be broughtback to idle speed.
2. Up to 3 attempts will be done.
3. If it does not work, retry pressing upshiftor downshift.

Yep I read that but I cannot get it to stay running at the moment so it won't shift. Was hoping there was a way to physically shift it into neutral with the bike not running.

billybovine
07-09-2016, 09:52 AM
Yep I read that but I cannot get it to stay running at the moment so it won't shift. Was hoping there was a way to physically shift it into neutral with the bike not running.

viiiball
07-09-2016, 10:27 AM
UPDATE: I was able to jump start the RT with our car. It ran long enough for it to automatically go into neutral. I was able to push it into the garage. Checked the oil level and was low so I added. Bike started just fine. Shifted into 1st gear and the bike immediately shut off. Now its acting like the battery is dead again and won't turn over. Get the clacking sound and the gauges cycle but it won't start.

Replace battery???

Highwayman2013
07-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Sounds like the clutch could be failing, it should roll even in 1st gear.

billybovine
07-09-2016, 10:41 AM
UPDATE: I was able to jump start the RT with our car. It ran long enough for it to automatically go into neutral. I was able to push it into the garage. Checked the oil level and was low so I added. Bike started just fine. Shifted into 1st gear and the bike immediately shut off. Now its acting like the battery is dead again and won't turn over. Get the clacking sound and the gauges cycle but it won't start.

Replace battery???

Dead battery does not mean it is bad. Charge it first. Then see what happens.

viiiball
07-09-2016, 10:43 AM

This is the semi auto transmission so with it turned off and in 1st gear how would it be able to roll?

spyderCodes
07-09-2016, 10:48 AM
This is the semi auto transmission so with it turned off and in 1st gear how would it be able to roll?

It isn't locked into gear the way a traditional bike is.
It can still be pushed even in gear because of the clutch.

billybovine
07-09-2016, 10:49 AM

A semi is free to roll in any gear. That's why it's so important to have the brake set with warning beeps when you don't.

Bensonoid
07-09-2016, 03:57 PM
It just doesn't roll as easily in first as it does in neutral.

ralph12345678910
07-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Sounds like you forgot to release the parking brake, the se5 will move with the engine shut off as easy in 1st gear as neutral.

Bensonoid
07-10-2016, 07:26 AM
Sounds like you forgot to release the parking brake, the se5 will move with the engine shut off as easy in 1st gear as neutral.

I leave mine parked in my garage with the brake off so I can push it out in a hurry if it or the garage catches fire. If I forget and shut it off in gear it is noticeably harder to push it around. Next time I'm around someone with an SE5 I will have to compare this. Thanks

Richardv
07-10-2016, 07:44 AM
I leave mine parked in my garage with the brake off so I can push it out in a hurry if it or the garage catches fire. If I forget and shut it off in gear it is noticeably harder to push it around. Next time I'm around someone with an SE5 I will have to compare this. Thanks

My wife RS2012 is also harder to push in first gear than in neutral...

Richard

viiiball
07-11-2016, 06:28 AM

Thanks all. With the bike off and in 1st gear it does not roll at all so maybe there is a transmission issue. Looks like I will be taking it to the dealership for service. Which is next to impossible around here this time of year. We will be lucky to get it in before August.

viiiball
07-11-2016, 06:34 AM
Tried what I could over the weekend. Checked oil levels (a bit low) and topped off. Charged battery over night. Am able to get it started and it idles right around 1400 so looks like that might be running more normally than we saw previously. The issue now is once I place it into 1st gear the bike immediate shuts off and it has trouble or won't restart like the battery is not giving enough power.

Anything else I should try before attempting to get an appointment for service? We are going to lose about a month of riding because getting service around DC is next to impossible during riding season.